Groove Tubes bought out by Fender

Make it loud here.
jbuckner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Groove Tubes bought out by Fender

Post by jbuckner » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:49 am

It seems like Fender is buying every guitar company or parts company they can get a hold of.

From the info on the Groove Tubes site about the sale, it looks like everything will remain the same.

On that note they are moving everything to the Fender plant, as everything will be in house.

Aspen Pittman will remain as a consultant at Fender.

The Groove Tubes Soul-O 75 was the best amp that I have every played. The clean was clean and the dirty was great.

Hopefully the tubes won't suffer in this new era of Groove Tubes. 
Good Deals: Casbah, Dren68

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Re: Groove Tubes bought out by Fender

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:41 am

The tubes can't suffer too much, as they're just re-branded Chinese stuff if I'm not mistaken.  Groove Tubes does not actually make tubes.  It's a joke, really.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:01 am

My '64 Bassman came with a set of so called "high grade" Groove Tubes when I bought it (so called RI "coke bottles"). The things rattled like a snake as if there wase something loose inside.
After a while I could not take it anymore so I replaced those GT 6l6GC's with a nice pair of JJ's (which cost less then half/close to a third of what a set of GT's set you back. Man what a difference....
Never looked back. I'm not a Tube know it all, but the difference was there.

I think for the past few years all new Fender tube amps leave the factory with GT power tubes. At least as whown in the 2003 and 2004 Frontline catalogues, so I'm not surprised.
Proud "Young Router Jockey" And Rental service for "woodchippers"

jbuckner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jbuckner » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:05 am

Actually they do make tubes. They make all the 6L6 GE tubes in the California plant. They even use the old GE equipment.

No doubt that a majority of the tubes are rebranded, but that's true with everybody especially JJ which are just crap tubes.

Sovtek are the only ones that make their own tubes, granted it's in the Russian Federation but nonetheless.

But given todays amps and the huge plate voltage that we use in the quest for more distortion, NOS tubes won't work in the majority of boutique amps so we have to go with new tubes.
Good Deals: Casbah, Dren68

doc
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by doc » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:25 am

jbuckner wrote: Actually they do make tubes. They make all the 6L6 GE tubes in the California plant. They even use the old GE equipment.

No doubt that a majority of the tubes are rebranded, but that's true with everybody especially JJ which are just crap tubes.

Sovtek are the only ones that make their own tubes, granted it's in the Russian Federation but nonetheless.

But given todays amps and the huge plate voltage that we use in the quest for more distortion, NOS tubes won't work in the majority of boutique amps so we have to go with new tubes.
Correct, they do make or own the manufacture of some tubes. Many are rebrands but they do make some tubes.
Anderson Lake Blues Project
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=666357

dug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dug » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:05 pm

JJ's > everything else *

*except nos tubes

quarterpound
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by quarterpound » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:41 pm

jbuckner wrote: Actually they do make tubes. They make all the 6L6 GE tubes in the California plant. They even use the old GE equipment.

Wow, just about everything you just said was in direct contradiction to common knowledge. Impressive! ^^;; I will however admit I dig my old Russian tubes...

Taylorplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Taylorplayer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:08 am

Dunno... the tubes they do in fact make were the best tubes I've used. They're called GT6L6GEs. They are GREAT tubes. I'll be installing a quartet into my Showman resurection.
Need some XII pickup covers....

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:26 am

That is good news.

So, when the day comes that the RCA 6V6 in my Vibro Champ dies, what would be a good replacement?
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:29 am

FWIW the new Tung-Sol 12AX7s really sound very good to my ears.  A bit different but reasonably comparable to the Amperex, Mullard, and Telefunken NOS tubes I have in my amps now.  They are way better then the more common Sovtek or Electro Harmonix 12AX7s and chinese 12AX7s that most amps come stock with IMO.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:40 am

Maggieo wrote: That is good news.

So, when the day comes that the RCA 6V6 in my Vibro Champ dies, what would be a good replacement?
An RCA 6V6.

Seriously, you can get them single for fairly reasonable still, especially "used, test strong" pulls which have many years of life left.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:45 am

Sweet!

Because, I gotta tell ya, that little amp sounds like heaven and I want to keep it sounding that way.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:55 am

Useless fact:

I've been to this store, it is in Hamilton, ON. I picked up a bunch of tubes from them last spring. They got lots of tubes... :ph34r:

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:27 am

Thanks for the pointers, Brad!

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:08 pm

øøøøøøø wrote: Might not hurt to buy one of these for insurance:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-RCA-6V6GT-6V6-GT- ... t_1125wt_0
Good score!
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.