Did I mention? I wrecked my Tremolux!

Make it loud here.
zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: Did I mention? I wrecked my Tremolux!

Post by zhivago » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:12 am

yeah, sounds like this is gonna cost me.

I'm in a bit of a weird situation too...since my cousin wired the speakers up, he feels REALLY guilty about the whole thing....so I feel a bit bad about it too, as I asked him to do it to save some money

but I really honestly think it's my fault...I should of taken it to the repair guy to begin with, paid the full price and that would of been that.

I live and learn...it's a lovely amp, it deserves to work again...but man, this is setting the second '61 back too....it's like a domino effect :(
Resident Spartan.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:28 am

it always is  :(

well take it in for a look and see what he says.. you never know, it doesn't sound good but maybe it won't be as bad as you fear?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:36 am

it's possible I guess...I'll probably take it in on Saturday...maybe Friday if I can finish this report I'm designing this week...

gotta play the waiting game again.
Resident Spartan.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:13 pm

>:(

Dammit Zhiv, when will you learn to listen to your Uncle Mez?
mezcalhead wrote: You'll want it soldered .. if the leads come off accidentally you're in trouble, because a tube amp needs a load to drive otherwise it'll fry itself.

But enough of that .. anything I can do to help? What are you using for an amp in the meantime?
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:19 pm

mezcalhead wrote: >:(

Dammit Zhiv, when will you learn to listen to your Uncle Mez?
mezcalhead wrote: You'll want it soldered .. if the leads come off accidentally you're in trouble, because a tube amp needs a load to drive otherwise it'll fry itself.

But enough of that .. anything I can do to help? What are you using for an amp in the meantime?
hehe...you know, when it actually happen and I saw the thing had come off, I thought of your above post instantly!! :D :(

I'm gonna most likely use the singer's hiwatt at the gig...he actually wants to try out....his new POD!!  :o :o so I should be ok.....

I just wanna get the amp sorted ASAP...then I can return my focus on the other '61...it's just the unnecessary expense that ticks me off...I could use the repair money for pups for the '61, y'know? :(
Resident Spartan.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:47 pm

zhivago wrote: I thought of your above post instantly!!
Man .. that's funny! I now have a mental image of you staring miserably at your amp with a big thought balloon reading "shit .. jon is gonna kill me"

;D

Hiwatts are good, you could do much worse. If the trouble drags on we might be able to come to some sort of arrangement with one of my amps if necessary, although transport would be a pain in the butt.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:02 pm

mezcalhead wrote:
zhivago wrote: I thought of your above post instantly!!
Man .. that's funny! I now have a mental image of you staring miserably at your amp with a big thought balloon reading "shit .. jon is gonna kill me"

;D

Hiwatts are good, you could do much worse. If the trouble drags on we might be able to come to some sort of arrangement with one of my amps if necessary, although transport would be a pain in the butt.
hehe...it's a pretty accurate image!! :D

thanks for the offer...I'm sure it'll all work out fine :)
Resident Spartan.

rabidhamster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rabidhamster » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:50 am

come now, replacing an output transformer is a peice of cake if you feel ok about working with high voltages.  It sounds intimidating in all the warnings, because you have to be serious and "respect the electricity", but its really very easy to discharge filter caps and replace the transformer with a diagram.  think of it like changing a really big pickup....that could kill you ;D

Seriously though, I can walk you through it, as could most of the people (more knowledgeable than me) over at the ax84.com forum.  60 pounds is much less than 150 pounds, and its sorta like doing your own setups:)

im very sorry about the misfortune:(

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:35 am

hmmm....I can't really solder to save my life.... :(
Resident Spartan.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:49 am

zhivago wrote: hmmm....I can't really solder to save my life.... :(
That fact combined with the "high voltages" detail means this is a job for a pro.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:14 am

definitely....I'll keep everyone posted :)
Resident Spartan.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:40 pm

zhivago wrote: ...or...god forbid, use a POD modeler direct into the desk!
you know, i´ve actually thought of doing that for a long time. i´ve had soooo much grief from vintage tube amps breaking down at the last minute i can´t even begin to tell you. i guess that´s one of the reasons why i now have a super cheap solid state amp as gigging amp. if it breaks, i´ll just buy a new one! ;D

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:59 pm

mynameisjonas wrote:
zhivago wrote: ...or...god forbid, use a POD modeler direct into the desk!
you know, i´ve actually thought of doing that for a long time. i´ve had soooo much grief from vintage tube amps breaking down at the last minute i can´t even begin to tell you. i guess that´s one of the reasons why i now have a super cheap solid state amp as gigging amp. if it breaks, i´ll just buy a new one! ;D

should I give the pod a go?

I mean...the Super Duper won't distort it, will it?...I guess that's the main problem...I can't have my tube-generated distorted sound....  :-\  :(

thing is, as it is a NYE show, I am kinda tempted to use as little gear as possible, as getting round London with all the gear will be a total pain!!

hmmm.....well, I'll take the amp to the tech on Saturday and take it from there :)
Resident Spartan.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:13 pm

zhivago wrote: should I give the pod a go?

I mean...the Super Duper won't distort it, will it?...I guess that's the main problem...I can't have my tube-generated distorted sound....  :-\  :(
it will distort it for sure. but the quality of that distortion might not be the best, since the input signal (if it is above a certain threshold level) will be clipped digitally before it enters the modeller, and that might sound cool, but it might also sound horrible. and my guess is that it will be the latter. but i don´t know, i have never owned a pod.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:15 pm

just for the record: i personally could never gig with a pod although i have been tempted to try it. i need to feel the air move behind me  ;)