Clean channel not working on DRRI?

Make it loud here.
jamrine
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Clean channel not working on DRRI?

Post by jamrine » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:37 am

I am getting no sound out of my clean (non-trem) channel of my Deluxe Reverb.  I hardly ever use that channel, so I am not sure how long it has been dead.  Could this be something simple, or am I in for something big here?  The trem channel works perfectly.
Isn't it sad.... I'm immune?

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Clean channel not working on DRRI?

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:09 am

most likely, the very first preamp tube (the one farthest from the rectifier tube) is not passing signal.

Replace that one (or swap the first two tubes to test).  If you swap the first two, then the normal channel should work and the vibrato channel should not. 

Otherwise, it's not the tube.

You are most definitely NOT "in for something big."  There is no major problem that would affect one channel only.

If it's not the tube (95% chance it's the tube), then it's either the input jack or a broken solder connection somewhere preventing signal from passing (or another bad connection, like a dirty or loose tube socket pin).  Or (extremely unlikely) at worst, a toasted passive component like an open-circuit resistor or capacitor in the normal channel.

An hour of bench time max (and that's mostly to disassemble the amp) and most likely, just replacing a tube.

Good luck.

jamrine
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jamrine » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:57 am

There is a very good chance it is just that the tube is loose too, I suppose.  I traveled with the amp recently and it worked fine when I left and the other day was the first I tired it after traveling, so the tube might even be fine (my tech tested the preamp tubes when I had my power tubes replaced a month ago).

I am still learning the most elementary things about what to check on these amps when something is amiss.

Thanks (again) for the help.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:09 am

jamrine wrote: There is a very good chance it is just that the tube is loose too, I suppose.  I traveled with the amp recently and it worked fine when I left and the other day was the first I tired it after traveling, so the tube might even be fine (my tech tested the preamp tubes when I had my power tubes replaced a month ago).

I am still learning the most elementary things about what to check on these amps when something is amiss.

Thanks (again) for the help.
I would wager that the tube is just loose.

Incidentally, the first two tubes share some components such that if you remove the first tube altogether, it changes the sound of the tremolo/reverb channel (and vice-versa).

If you've also noticed that the vibrato channel seems to have a touch more balls lately, it's likely that the tube is loose or missing.  :)

Many people will remove V1 to get a little more gain out of V2 to make the amp ballsier.

jamrine
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jamrine » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:20 am

I can't wait to get home now, because it seems we have diagnosed it here.  :)  The 2nd channel does seem to have more life, so I probably just need to pop the tube in tighter.

Cool!