NAD x 2. Fender 75 and Tonemaster Twin

Make it loud here.
cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NAD x 2. Fender 75 and Tonemaster Twin

Post by cestlamort » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:39 am

I picked up two amps at the guitar show yesterday.

1981 Fender 75 (1x12 combo), with footswitch.
Chunky combo from the pre-Rivera era. Two channel (normal and lead) with pull boosts on all three EQ knobs. And a bright switch that'll tear your head off. I'm approaching it like my old Concert II: a one channel amp with reverb, and a series of knobs that you ignore. Supposedly 15 watts (low power) or 75 watts (high power). Seems like a lot of watts from 2 6L6s. (Some internet chatter described these as Ultralinear... other described it as a cross between a deluxe and a twin, which would be pretty ideal actually. So long as it wasn't just "size of deluxe, weight of a twin")

The seller had it marked down to a silly price as the vendors were packing up, and I couldn't resist. I've only played it some at home but: nice reverb, seems really loud (even at low power), reminds me a bit of the Concert II. Old tubes in there, too. The speaker (labeled Fender) has a HUGE magnet on there (as I took off a preamp tube cover, it jumped out of my hands and stuck to the back of the speaker).

It is, however, really noisy when the master volume is anything over 5. No idea when it was last serviced, so that'll be a first step. I'd also consider switching out the speaker for something lighter (or Neo something) to get it to a reasonable weight (ampwares has it at 65-70 lbs and that seems in the ballpark). The seller said he'd had it in his dining room for years, and "it's a great amp if you don't have to move it."

Blonde Tone Master Twin Reverb
I'd been really curious about these as I've been meaning to get a Twin Reverb again (after recording the last two records with a 1972 SF Twin; I had a 1968 that initially had EV SRO speakers which were amazing but untenable, and it lost much of its charm when I switched them with Jensen Neo speakers. Still: I should have held onto it). So far (living room) the TMTR sounds pretty good, but a little less "alive" than I'd hoped (and less so than the 75 at a similar volume). I'll see what it sounds like in a band context. First blush is that it seems more than serviceable although maybe less than inspiring. I've been playing a JC77 mostly, so solid state isn't a deal breaker.

I'd played around with the Twin some at the show and had packed up the 75 and was about to leave when I decided to pop back in to see if the Twin was still there at closing time. I gave the guy a lowball offer and we settled on a more than reasonable price ($600). We'll see if it sticks around.

The Fender 75 weighs significantly more than the twin :fp:

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NAD x 2. Fender 75 and Tonemaster Twin

Post by Surfysonic » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:27 pm

Congrats! Pretty awesome deal on the TM Twin! I had a TM Twin (blonde) and I liked it for the most part. I wasn't super impressed by the stock Celestion Neo Creamback speakers. Didn't feel "Fender-y" enough for me. I splurged on some Jensen® Vintage Neo, 12", N12K, 100W speakers and I was much happier.

Eventually, due primarily for downsizing purposes and not playing out, I decided to move it on (put back to stock - I have plans for the Jensen Vintage Neo speakers). I get the stock black/silver TM Twin has a pair of 12" Jensen® N-12K Neo should have gotten that in the first place but what can I say? I'm a sucker for the blonde/oxblood aesthetic. ;D

I've recently tried the TM Super Reverb in a shop and thought it was a decent fit for me if I were wanting one to play out again. Then I heard a very unsubstantiated rumor of some possible new TM models coming out in the near future. One model potentially being a Vibroverb. So I'm holding off on the TM Super Reverb for now.

Really, the big draw for me re: Tone Masters is the weight reduction and modern capabilities (attenuator and line out). Once I played my TM Twin Reverb in a band mix, I was very comfortable with the idea of using it as a gigging amp. I hope you enjoy it and the Fender 75, which I know nothing about. :D
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:48 pm

I'm curious about the 75. There's a guy out my way with a Fender 30 which could be interesting. I've read multiple reviews, some saying it's a great hidden gem, and others that say its a piece of crap.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:10 pm

Surfysonic wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:27 pm
Congrats! Pretty awesome deal on the TM Twin! I had a TM Twin (blonde) and I liked it for the most part. I wasn't super impressed by the stock Celestion Neo Creamback speakers. Didn't feel "Fender-y" enough for me. I splurged on some Jensen® Vintage Neo, 12", N12K, 100W speakers and I was much happier.
Really, the big draw for me re: Tone Masters is the weight reduction and modern capabilities (attenuator and line out). Once I played my TM Twin Reverb in a band mix, I was very comfortable with the idea of using it as a gigging amp. I hope you enjoy it and the Fender 75, which I know nothing about. :D
I was attracted to the weight reduction as well. I blame a lot of the Fender weight issues on the heavy cabs and it is great to have a light (and I'm guessing resonant) pine cab. Funnily, by playing both the 75 and TMTR amps in succession, I'm reminded of what it felt like to switch out the glorious but unmanageable EV speakers from my old twin. It still sounded good but there was less oomph somehow. Maybe a neo thing? Maybe I'm just suggestible? I've really only run the TMTR for a bit, so will be interested to see how it works out.

I'll give this one a run for a bit and see how it fairs paired in stereo with my JC77 and Super Reverb. Like these things go, it was a good enough deal that I'm okay taking it for a spin for a bit.
Jonesie wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:48 pm
I'm curious about the 75. There's a guy out my way with a Fender 30 which could be interesting. I've read multiple reviews, some saying it's a great hidden gem, and others that say its a piece of crap.
For the 75, I'd say that both may be true. (Mostly) judging by the Concert II I had (as another Fender-does-Boogie attempt), the Lead channel stinks. Or sounds like "Santana playing a slug" looks. But the normal channel sounds like a good Fender and the EQ seems flexible. The lead channel though... yuck. (And with the 75, the reverb drops significantly when the Lead is engaged). I had a Super 60 for a while (on the hope that it was a bargain gem. It was not) and the 75 seems much closer to the classic Fender sound (I'd be fine with a smaller, 1x12 ultralinear Twin Reverb)

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:57 pm

If the 75 is 35 pounds with the 1x12, what must the 1x15 version weigh?

jimboyogi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jimboyogi » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:37 pm

I've got a 1 x 15" Fender 75 - the answer is - a lot! It's on castors for a reason. Massive magnet EV 15L speaker plus huge iron in the transformers. Thing is a beast.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:48 pm

The Fender 75 is one of those amps that I'm surprised hasn't caught on more.

Mainly because it was associated with a particular behatted guitarist from Texas that denizens of boomers idolized (a truly great player and performer, incidentally, as long as you watch the live videos and ignore much of the recorded oeuvre).

But for some reason it's flown under the radar a bit. It's a really cool amp for the money they currently go for. The clean sound is thoroughly decent.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:51 pm

jimboyogi wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:37 pm
I've got a 1 x 15" Fender 75 - the answer is - a lot! It's on castors for a reason. Massive magnet EV 15L speaker plus huge iron in the transformers. Thing is a beast.
I can't even imagine that. :o
Good that you have castors! It just seems like "tolex covered safe" from a portability standpoint.
øøøøøøø wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:48 pm
The Fender 75 is one of those amps that I'm surprised hasn't caught on more.

Mainly because it was associated with a particular behatted guitarist from Texas that denizens of boomers idolized (a truly great player and performer, incidentally, as long as you watch the live videos and ignore much of the recorded oeuvre).

But for some reason it's flown under the radar a bit. It's a really cool amp for the money they currently go for. The clean sound is thoroughly decent.
It does seem to be a cool amp. Even at living room volume, it has a certain heft to the sound (big transformers? big magnet? both?).

The cleans do sound good. My guess is that it hasn't been to a tech for years/decades so I'll want to take care of that. Once my back recovers. (Maybe unrelated but hauling this around didn't help). The speaker is front mounted so I can't tell what it is without taking it off, I pried the grille cloth off (still seems anachronistic to have a tube amp with velcro somehow) but haven't removed the speaker. I may do a temporary borrow of one of the Neo Creambacks from the Tonemaster if the speaker is responsible for a chunk of the the amp weight. Heck, it may just be the super thick baffle. I'd love to get it usable (which also means "movable"), even if/because my investment it was so low. ($[redacted] or "somewhere between a Kevin Shields blender and a Waylon Jennings phaser")

Weirdly, it appears to have the same (proprietary) footswitch as the "II" series.

I had to laugh: I have no idea who that guitarist could be (my first thought: "Junior Brown" = not idolized by boomers and not even from Texas... Oh, some internet research guessing solved that. I guess I need to work on my solo to Let's Dance. I'd say that the weight would be a deal breaker for that particular age bracket).

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:31 pm

If it’s the stock speaker I *think* it’s an EV? Don’t remember for sure but for some reason my memory leads me there

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:00 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:31 pm
If it’s the stock speaker I *think* it’s an EV? Don’t remember for sure but for some reason my memory leads me there
Good memory. Some did indeed come with EV speakers as an option.

This one is a blue label fender but with a wide magnet. I’ll pop it out for the codes and to see how much it is contributing to the total weight. I have a foldable hand truck at least

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:01 am

Played the Twin at rehearsal last night (so at volume) and it sounded good. Very good actually, but not quite like my old twin (no surprise: different speakers etc).
I liked it but the eq felt a bit different - and the amp itself felt different in a sense. I’ve been trying to come up with a good analogy - maybe like the difference between an LP and a cassette (more convenient, but not quite the same)… or even a minidisc (way more convenient but something sounds different). (I’ve been thinking about minidiscs too much lately for some reason).

Again, it sounded good, is SUPER light, did the job. I may have to spend some more time with it to dial things in. As of now, it seems “faithful” (or “serviceable”) rather than “magical” (adding something to the overall sound).

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:39 am

I love my Tone Master Twin, man. I put a big 15 inch Telonics in there. Really opened it up, made it beefier, fuller. Didn't add much to the weight. The speaker is about 7.5 pounds. Prob about the same as the two stock speakers. I recommend this upgrade every chance I can.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:32 am

N0_Camping4U wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:39 am
I love my Tone Master Twin, man. I put a big 15 inch Telonics in there. Really opened it up, made it beefier, fuller. Didn't add much to the weight. The speaker is about 7.5 pounds. Prob about the same as the two stock speakers. I recommend this upgrade every chance I can.
Interesting... So basically a Tone Master Vibroverb? (or custom?)
Is yours the black or blonde version?

Bango_Rilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bango_Rilla » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:59 am

I'm curious about the rumors - a Vibroverb Tonemaster sounds pretty cool.
Lover of offsets (and bananas!)

https://thegogorillas.com
https://instagram.com/thegogorillas

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:24 pm

cestlamort wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:32 am
N0_Camping4U wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:39 am
Interesting... So basically a Tone Master Vibroverb? (or custom?)
Is yours the black or blonde version?
Yes sir! I wasn't sure how it would sound, and I couldn't find anyone else who did this mod/upgrade. I just went for it. I love it! I have the blonde one.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."