Make it loud here.
N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

What's the next Tone Master amp?

Post by N0_Camping4U » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:24 am

As pointed out to me by SurfySonic....

Just Norvell back in January dropped this hint about a new Tone Master:
"Our commitment right now is full steam in the digital amplifier and effects space. And it's probably a little early to really lean into it but just there's more to come on our Tone Master platform later in the year, and it'll be great."

What's everyone's speculation? As much as I'd like them to - I can't see them doing a head-only.
I'm leaning toward a Tweed Bassman. I would love some Brownface love, though. A Vibroverb, or Pro would fill a niche not found in other Tone Masters.

Lastly, when can we expect the announcement? When is the next big Fender event?
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What's the next Tone Master amp?

Post by cestlamort » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:06 am

Tone Master (Vibro) Champ... no more back breaking student line rocking for you!

I'd guess tweed bassman.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:11 am

I mean, a Blackface Bassman would be wonderful, but doubtful.

The trouble with doing a lot of them is the fact a lot of them were all basically the same apart from the wattage. A tweed is certainly on the cards though I reckon...tweed Bassman for sure. It's such an important amp in guitar history.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:37 am

Yeah, I'd expect a Bassman. They've already done the Princeton, Deluxe, Super, and Twin.

Although that makes me realize that everything they've made has reverb, which makes sense since it costs them virtually nothing to include a digital reverb, and it is appreciated by a huge percentage of guitarists.

The Bassman would be the first non-reverb model.

Also, the comment about the "digital amps and effects space" almost makes me wonder whether they're going to release a 6G15 reverb unit.

Maybe a blonde/brown Bassman and a 6G15 unit to go with it? The 5F6 Bassman "large combo/medium-power" format is already covered by the Super Reverb, even though they don't sound the same. A 60s Bassman would let them introduce a new form factor of a head and cab, which lets them access a new market segment. Then since you're already using modular pieces, adding a reverb unit might be something those customers would want to do.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:31 pm

Embenny wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:37 am
A 60s Bassman would let them introduce a new form factor of a head and cab, which lets them access a new market segment.
If this unlikely event passes I'll be in the queue

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:32 pm

JSett wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:31 pm
Embenny wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:37 am
A 60s Bassman would let them introduce a new form factor of a head and cab, which lets them access a new market segment.
If this unlikely event passes I'll be in the queue
It would certainly meet your requirements of "light" and "sounds like a Bassman."

Might just be wishful thinking on my part. A TM Bassman would be the first model in the lineup that would give me major GAS.

A Dual Showman would, too, but that'll never happen with how few people cared about those amps.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:35 pm

Only based upon an online unsubstantiated rumor, I'm hopeful for a brown 2x10 brown VIbroverb. Or a Bassman of whatever incarnation.

Having just sold my "Custom" Vibrolux, I'd love to get another 90's '63 RI Vibroverb. I'd take it in to get Fromel/Moyer mods applied to it. However, I'm waiting to see if one comes out in the TM series so that I wouldn't have to go to such greater expense and effort.

Also, I'd prefer the lighter weight TM offering...if it happens. :whistle:
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:39 pm

Well, all the ones they've done so far are very similar tone-wise. All very blackface in looks and character.

Tweed would be the most sensible choice for them to tap into the aging boomer market before a) they stop playing and b) die - along with their universal adulation of the tweeds. Al the blues guys would love them too.

A BF Bassman is one that would be nice for me but also they do sound totally different from all the others of the era so remain an untapped market.

Interesting idea about the reverb tank, that would be kinda cool I guess.

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:07 pm

I saw someone else mention a reverb unit. So you think it would look like a reverb unit but be digital? I CAN see it…. But why lug around another big object that’s just essentially a tolex box? I think Surfy Bear already kind of nails that. Those are great units. But they’re real spring. Maybe Fender can make a super realistic digital reverb that you can kick and will drip like the old surf stuff. I’d be intrigued.

I’m super happy with my blonde Twin. I may get a brown or blonde. Not much interest in Tweed stuff unless it sounds cool or I can scoop a used one for cheap.

I wouldn’t mind a Vibro champ. I wanted the Princeton but they’re as much as ‘real’ reissue ones.

I have a feeling they won’t do silver face Tone Masters on this run, too. Brownface are kind of rare and other than us probably not really sought after by a 16 year old. Tweeds will get those Boomers waking up off their deathbed.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:27 am

people want the look of tweed for gigs, youtube vids, etc. tweed deluxe/twin/bassman would come next i reckon.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:24 am

Yeah, I feel like something tweed flavored would be next. Maybe something bigger that can model a few tweed sounds, like a Twin sized thing that can do Bassman and Deluxe sounds.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:40 am

N0_Camping4U wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:07 pm
I saw someone else mention a reverb unit. So you think it would look like a reverb unit but be digital? I CAN see it…. But why lug around another big object that’s just essentially a tolex box? I think Surfy Bear already kind of nails that. Those are great units. But they’re real spring. Maybe Fender can make a super realistic digital reverb that you can kick and will drip like the old surf stuff. I’d be intrigued.
That was me.

The reason to lug around a tolex box is that people still lust after them. There's a big demographic that just loves seeing that big F logo box sitting on top of their amp. Surfy Bear nails the tone, but not the look.

A TM unit would be dirt cheap for Fender to produce, but they could charge a significant premium for it compared to a reverb stompbox, even if it's just a stompbox in a tolex coveted box. Plus, it's been 7 years since they stopped making the reissues, and those are selling on the used market for as much as some of the entire Tone Master amps.

I think it'd be a shrewd business move. They obviously have put the work into producing a good digital spring reverb already, so tweaking that a bit and releasing it in a tolex enclosure for a few hundred bucks would stand to make them some money.

Pairing it with the release of their first ever non-reverb TM amp, like a Bassman (tweed or BF), would make even more sense to me, since a bunch of people buying the new amp might go, "Man, I really love Fender reverb. How nicely would that pair with my new amp?"

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:22 am

i want to hope for bassman but i doubt it because fender seem to love the bassman circuit but hate putting it in an amp called the bassman (the 59ri is the exception but god damn those are like rocking horse shit in the uk)
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:24 am

Embenny wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:40 am
N0_Camping4U wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:07 pm
That was me.

The reason to lug around a tolex box is that people still lust after them. There's a big demographic that just loves seeing that big F logo box sitting on top of their amp. Surfy Bear nails the tone, but not the look.

A TM unit would be dirt cheap for Fender to produce, but they could charge a significant premium for it compared to a reverb stompbox, even if it's just a stompbox in a tolex coveted box. Plus, it's been 7 years since they stopped making the reissues, and those are selling on the used market for as much as some of the entire Tone Master amps.

I think it'd be a shrewd business move. They obviously have put the work into producing a good digital spring reverb already, so tweaking that a bit and releasing it in a tolex enclosure for a few hundred bucks would stand to make them some money.

Pairing it with the release of their first ever non-reverb TM amp, like a Bassman (tweed or BF), would make even more sense to me, since a bunch of people buying the new amp might go, "Man, I really love Fender reverb. How nicely would that pair with my new amp?"

Good point. All of them. I could see a reverb coming out based on what you said. I can't imagine I'd grab one since I really like my Surfy Bear - but I can see why other people may be interested.

But this seems like it could be more of an indicator for brownface amps. A brownface Pro, Super, or Virboverb would all fill a niche that the blackface amps currently produced don't offer. This could also be paired with a brown reverb unit. They could even make the concert since they're already producing the Super Reverb cab.

I just hope I'm wrong, but I can't see them doing head only Tone Masters. I'd imagine they do a tone of testing and digital sculpting on their internal algorithm to produce the closest tones to the originals with the designated speaker them ship with. If it was a free for all then it'd be difficult to get the brown sound with your cannabis rex speakers or eddie van halen cab.

I own a real Blonde 61 Showman head. I'd still buy a back up. I'd buy almost any blonde head or brownface amp at this point because I'm so thrilled with my blonde twin reverb with a 15 inch speaker.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:46 am

N0_Camping4U wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:24 am
I just hope I'm wrong, but I can't see them doing head only Tone Masters. I'd imagine they do a tone of testing and digital sculpting on their internal algorithm to produce the closest tones to the originals with the designated speaker them ship with. If it was a free for all then it'd be difficult to get the brown sound with your cannabis rex speakers or eddie van halen cab.
But they'd obviously release it along with a matching cab. So if you want the authentic tone, you buy the matching cab. Pretty sure an amp + cab nets them extra money anyway. And if people are dissatisfied with the results pairing with their preexisting cabinets, that would be all the more reason to buy a lightweight TM cab.

It just kinda feels like an obvious move for them to make at some point, especially with the BF Bassman being one of the most quintessential Fender tones of all time, and it never being available in a combo. Maybe you're right and they'll so a tweed Bassman first so they can stick to combos...but if they're thinking about a reverb unit, the reverb unit stacked on a Bassman head stacked on a matching cab is a look I think a lot of people would be into.