Twin Reverb 65RI Reverb noise problem

Make it loud here.
Badfish
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Twin Reverb 65RI Reverb noise problem

Post by Badfish » Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:17 pm

Hello there!
I’m hoping I could find a solution here if anyone experienced the same problem with their Twin Reverb 65RI having a very noisy reverb circuit.

Whenever I engage the reverb on and turn on the knob it just produces a loud hiss noise that gets louder as I turn the reverb knob more.
When I turn the reverb off the noise stops. The trem works fine without any issues.
I already searched around and tried different solutions such as replacing both the reverb send and recovery tubes, tried using a different footswitch, and of course checked & cleaned the circuit, spring reverb unit itself and its connections - but nothing helped and the reverb is still just produces noise.
I have a strong suspicion that it has something to do either with the footswitch jack area of the circuit or the reverb circuit itself but everything seems fine there.
I’ll be grateful for some wisdom if anyone here had the same issue with their Twin, cheers!
Offset Guitars: 1965 Fender Mustang, Two Fender Am Pro II Jazzmasters, Gibson Firebird V
Amps: Fender Pro Reverb 68RI, Fender Twin Reverb 65RI, DV Mark Micro 50+H&K 110 cab
Pedals: Too many

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Twin Reverb 65RI Reverb noise problem

Post by GilmourD » Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:54 pm

Badfish wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:17 pm
Hello there!
I’m hoping I could find a solution here if anyone experienced the same problem with their Twin Reverb 65RI having a very noisy reverb circuit.

Whenever I engage the reverb on and turn on the knob it just produces a loud hiss noise that gets louder as I turn the reverb knob more.
When I turn the reverb off the noise stops. The trem works fine without any issues.
I already searched around and tried different solutions such as replacing both the reverb send and recovery tubes, tried using a different footswitch, and of course checked & cleaned the circuit, spring reverb unit itself and its connections - but nothing helped and the reverb is still just produces noise.
I have a strong suspicion that it has something to do either with the footswitch jack area of the circuit or the reverb circuit itself but everything seems fine there.
I’ll be grateful for some wisdom if anyone here had the same issue with their Twin, cheers!
Does it do it with the reverb tank disconnected?

Badfish
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Badfish » Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:23 am

GilmourD wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:54 pm
Yes, that’s why I think it comes either from the footswitch jack area or the reverb circuit on the amp itself, perhaps a grounding issue?
Offset Guitars: 1965 Fender Mustang, Two Fender Am Pro II Jazzmasters, Gibson Firebird V
Amps: Fender Pro Reverb 68RI, Fender Twin Reverb 65RI, DV Mark Micro 50+H&K 110 cab

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:31 am

Badfish wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:23 am
GilmourD wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:54 pm
Yes, that’s why I think it comes either from the footswitch jack area or the reverb circuit on the amp itself, perhaps a grounding issue?
Well, the switch issue COULD BE a grounding issue since all the switch does is complete the reverb circuit by connecting the other side to ground.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:35 pm

The reissue is different from AB763/vintage (surely, hopefully?!) in the way it handles the reverb switching isn't it?

IIRC vintage models route the reverb signal through the footswitch wiring. (Thanks Leo! :D )

If the reverb is properly non-functional and only produces noise I would be pulling the tank itself and having a look. The wiring connections to the transducers is pretty light gauge and not uncommon to break.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:43 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:35 pm
The reissue is different from AB763/vintage (surely, hopefully?!) in the way it handles the reverb switching isn't it?

IIRC vintage models route the reverb signal through the footswitch wiring. (Thanks Leo! :D )

If the reverb is properly non-functional and only produces noise I would be pulling the tank itself and having a look. The wiring connections to the transducers is pretty light gauge and not uncommon to break.
I'm 99% sure that the only circuit changes are the death cap and with it the three prong power cable.

65 Twin Reverb Reissue Service Manual https://imgur.com/a/stov98D

Badfish
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Badfish » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:36 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:35 pm

Did that already - the tank and wiring seems fine, and its noisy even with the tank disconnected, so I’m quite clueless here