I can finally afford my dream amp, but do I actually want to buy it? (Yes, apparently.)

Make it loud here.

What would you do?

Sure, buy the amp. It's a great piece of gear and you'll be able to use it to its full capabilities eventually.
20
63%
Don't buy jack. Hunker down and use what you have.
4
13%
Don't buy the amp. Spend a few hundred bucks on improving home recording setup and sock the rest away for the future.
8
25%
 
Total votes: 32

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3780
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

I can finally afford my dream amp, but do I actually want to buy it? (Yes, apparently.)

Post by marqueemoon » Wed May 13, 2020 1:03 pm

Right before the world turned upside down I was planning on letting a few things go to finance a new amp. Those things sold quicker than expected and I have the money now, but the amp I had in mind was going to be primarily for stage use, with the plan of eventually getting a load box to use with it for home recording.

With live music seemingly on hold indefinitely I'm starting to have second thoughts though. Tonally it's pretty similar to an amp I already have (think a Deluxe Reverb compared to a Princeton Reverb), and there is no urgent need to be loud at this point. It may be cynical to say, but if I wait a few months and things get worse I might be able to pick up the same thing for a good bit less.

My home recording setup is ok. The main shortcoming is my lack of organization, but my interface is old and it would be nice to have something with four audio inputs so I can do slightly better drum micing at home and MIDI in/out so I can mess around with soft synth stuff. Maybe I could spend a few hundred bucks on a new interface and stuff to help with the workflow and sock the rest away for the future amp fund. As long as my wife and I can remain gainfully employed I can continue putting a little money in here and there. Maybe by the time I have a real need for a loud amp the fund will be back to its former level and then some.

The other option is just to do nothing with the money and wait. I can certainly get by with what I have until I'm having regular band practices/shows again, and nothing about my current recording gear is really holding me back. Also, I've been purging gear for a few years now and my supply of things I'm willing to part with has gone down considerably. If the family gets in a spot financially I'd rather move over cash from my gear fund than be in a position of having to sell something (which could be tough to do if everyone else is strapped too).

All this said it's a really cool amp and one I should be able to use for the rest of my playing life. If the world were different right now would already own it. There's a part of me that wants to buy it just as a manifestation of optimism right now. It also happens to be for sale at a local shop which I'm sure would be happy for the business.

What do you think?
Last edited by marqueemoon on Sat May 16, 2020 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
zhivago
Mods
Mods
Posts: 20730
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 am
Location: London, UK

Re: I can finally afford my dream amp, but do I actually want to buy it?

Post by zhivago » Wed May 13, 2020 1:12 pm

I'd wait.

I am in a similar position...I had the prospect of playing live again later this year, and I had plans to buy a stage guitar this summer, but now with shows postponed indefinitely and the economy so unpredictable (I haven't worked for three months!), I am sitting tight.
Resident Spartan.

User avatar
Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2664
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:27 am
Location: Middle of the Baltic Sea

Re: I can finally afford my dream amp, but do I actually want to buy it?

Post by Ceylon » Wed May 13, 2020 1:24 pm

Would buying this new amp allow you to sell off the similar one you have, and if so, how much of that money could you re-coup by doing so?

The world isn't going to be fucked forever. The economy might tank for a few years and that might bring it's own set of problems, but one day it'll bounce back and live music will certainly have returned in the meantime. I bet very few people on here really need most of the gear we own, but there's a reason or set of reasons we pursue it anyway. and personally I kind of feel that as long as you don't run the risk of getting kicked out on the street amassing horrifying medical bills, now's a great time to treat yourself to something you actually really want. Plus you're in the US, right? Aren't you guys all getting 1200$ of spending money to keep the economy going?

But you could wait for a bit, or see if the store is willing to work out some sort of deal with you. As you say, they probably would really appreciate the business.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3780
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: I can finally afford my dream amp, but do I actually want to buy it?

Post by marqueemoon » Wed May 13, 2020 1:30 pm

zhivago wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:12 pm
I'd wait.

I am in a similar position...I had the prospect of playing live again later this year, and I had plans to buy a stage guitar this summer, but now with shows postponed indefinitely and the economy so unpredictable (I haven't worked for three months!), I am sitting tight.
Sorry to hear about your employment situation. I have been lucky in that area so far and I never want to take it for granted.

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3780
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: I can finally afford my dream amp, but do I actually want to buy it?

Post by marqueemoon » Wed May 13, 2020 1:49 pm

Ceylon wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:24 pm
Would buying this new amp allow you to sell off the similar one you have, and if so, how much of that money could you re-coup by doing so?

The world isn't going to be fucked forever. The economy might tank for a few years and that might bring it's own set of problems, but one day it'll bounce back and live music will certainly have returned in the meantime. I bet very few people on here really need most of the gear we own, but there's a reason or set of reasons we pursue it anyway. and personally I kind of feel that as long as you don't run the risk of getting kicked out on the street amassing horrifying medical bills, now's a great time to treat yourself to something you actually really want. Plus you're in the US, right? Aren't you guys all getting 1200$ of spending money to keep the economy going?

But you could wait for a bit, or see if the store is willing to work out some sort of deal with you. As you say, they probably would really appreciate the business.
I wouldn't want to sell off the similar one. It's taking over small amp duty from my now-sold Vibro Champ.

Yes, I'm fortunate to be healthy and have insurance but that could change.

My family hasn't seen our Trumpbux yet. If/when we do it will probably do something a little less fun with it.

But yeah new gear is fun and not all decisions related to it have to super logical. It could be fun to have a new toy around and be able to spend some time getting to know it.

User avatar
mbene085
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5384
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 5:07 am

Re: I can finally afford my dream amp, but do I actually want to buy it?

Post by mbene085 » Wed May 13, 2020 1:51 pm

If the amp was for live playing, save your money. I recently caught myself looking at a guitar as a "live guitar", as in a cheaper version of something else I have that I wouldn't want to risk taking out. Then I realized there's no "out" at the moment, so I can just enjoy what I have and not spend the money.

If this was the reverse, and you wanted a low-power version of a large amp you had, I'd say go ahead and enjoy it. But it's a little silly to buy a larger amp if you don't have the opportunity to turn it up.

User avatar
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 14886
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:25 pm
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: I can finally afford my dream amp, but do I actually want to buy it?

Post by Larry Mal » Wed May 13, 2020 2:03 pm

These days feel more like home recording days to me than live playing days. Upgrade your home setup, spend some time recording, and if you can get the amp a year from now that's probably when things will be opening up in places. Maybe longer.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

User avatar
jthomas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 590
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:44 pm
Location: Downeast Maine

Re: I can finally afford my dream amp, but do I actually want to buy it?

Post by jthomas » Wed May 13, 2020 3:01 pm

Interesting. I guess that it depends on what the amp is and where you are going to buy it.

I believe that prices on most musical gear will crash in the next few months. Guitar Center is going to go out of business and that gear will hit the market in a rush and so drive down prices, and many people are going to be desperate for money and will sell for what they can get.

So, if you are jonesing for an amp that is rare and collectable, like a Dumble or a Dearmond R15T, the prices probably won't drop all that much because the wealthy among us will always be able to afford toys. If that's the dream gear and your work is relatively safe, I'd say go ahead and buy it. Enjoy it and bond with it. The gigs will come later, and you'll be ready.

If the amp of your desires is more common and less collectable, (e.g., one of the new issue Supros or a used reissue of a 63G) I'd suggest that you wait a little while, keep an eye on gear prices, and try to buy it when the price to you is near the bottom.

My 10 cents... acknowledging that I could be absolutely wrong!

User avatar
sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:33 am

Re: I can finally afford my dream amp, but do I actually want to buy it?

Post by sessylU » Wed May 13, 2020 3:35 pm

Definitely buy it. Otherwise, what was the point of all of this? Think back to when you started playing. What was all the rest of it for if not to get this?

I have my dream amp, and being honest, it probably doesn't get used anywhere near it's capabilities. But I have my dream amp. It's incredible every time I turn it on. It makes me happy even when I just walk past it.

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3780
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: I can finally afford my dream amp, but do I actually want to buy it?

Post by marqueemoon » Wed May 13, 2020 3:47 pm

jthomas wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:01 pm
Interesting. I guess that it depends on what the amp is and where you are going to buy it.

I believe that prices on most musical gear will crash in the next few months. Guitar Center is going to go out of business and that gear will hit the market in a rush and so drive down prices, and many people are going to be desperate for money and will sell for what they can get.

So, if you are jonesing for an amp that is rare and collectable, like a Dumble or a Dearmond R15T, the prices probably won't drop all that much because the wealthy among us will always be able to afford toys. If that's the dream gear and your work is relatively safe, I'd say go ahead and buy it. Enjoy it and bond with it. The gigs will come later, and you'll be ready.

If the amp of your desires is more common and less collectable, (e.g., one of the new issue Supros or a used reissue of a 63G) I'd suggest that you wait a little while, keep an eye on gear prices, and try to buy it when the price to you is near the bottom.

My 10 cents... acknowledging that I could be absolutely wrong!
Definitely nothing collectable or super rare, but not a Guitar Center offering either (not that they don't sell some nice amps). There are usually about half a dozen on Reverb at any given time.

Going to have a chat with bandmates tonight. They don't necessarily give a shit about specifics on this, but we'll for sure be talking about the overall outlook for getting together which will influence my decision somewhat.

User avatar
windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3050
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:31 am
Location: South Eastern Australia

Re: I can finally afford my dream amp, but do I actually want to buy it?

Post by windmill » Wed May 13, 2020 5:37 pm

sessylU wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:35 pm
Definitely buy it. Otherwise, what was the point of all of this? Think back to when you started playing. What was all the rest of it for if not to get this?

I have my dream amp, and being honest, it probably doesn't get used anywhere near it's capabilities. But I have my dream amp. It's incredible every time I turn it on. It makes me happy even when I just walk past it.
You dont want to die wondering.

The opportunity may not come again,and there is always something that needs the money.

You can always sell it if times get hard or it is not what you thought it was going to be .

HTH

:)

User avatar
N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1079
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:59 pm

Re: I can finally afford my dream amp, but do I actually want to buy it?

Post by N0_Camping4U » Thu May 14, 2020 7:50 pm

There's a quote on www.SurfGuitar101.Com that I bring up often...

'Life is too short for a 'B' rig'. I think get what you want, and get what inspires you. If you have the money now than send a little bit low of an offer.
If he accepts then you get the guitar rig you want; and that will in turn, inspire you to play. Whether live or bedroom. Playing out of the amp you've been dying to get is an inspiring feeling.

Worse case scenario is the amp goes down a little... and what do you care? You've got it!

Best case scenario it stays the same and/or goes up.

My verdict: If you really really want it - the get it. Sell it for about the same if you're unhappy.

It isn't THAT big of an investment - you can prob get what you put into it.
Eric Harris: I’m sorry I have so much rage, but you put it on me.

User avatar
somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3325
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:59 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Re: I can finally afford my dream amp, but do I actually want to buy it?

Post by somanytoys » Thu May 14, 2020 8:52 pm

I would say get it. You sold your other stuff, primarily for this, it’s not some impulse buy that you don’t really have money for.

It does make a difference playing when you are playing with what you want & like, instead of what will do.

I didn’t buy a guitar that I really liked about 30 years ago, even though I had the money for it, thinking along sort of the same lines. I’ve regretted not buying it ever since.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

User avatar
rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:11 am

Re: I can finally afford my dream amp, but do I actually want to buy it?

Post by rbrcbr » Fri May 15, 2020 3:20 pm

I totally hear you, I've been eyeing some things as well but uncertain about how good of an idea it is to drop money on anything serious right now. So much that I passed on a stupid good deal on a Magnatone Twilighter 1x12 ($1499 :fp: ).

Being responsible with your money for now is probably the best choice given that the future is uncertain and live music is taking a break for now. I'd chill out and enjoy what you've got. Hopefully a good enough deal comes along that you can't pass up and in that case I'd totally jump on it.

My only real argument for buying it now is the concern of the economy going to shit and having something that's high quality and liquidable will hold i's value, even if our currency tanks. Up to you in that case.

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3780
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: I can finally afford my dream amp, but do I actually want to buy it?

Post by marqueemoon » Fri May 15, 2020 4:55 pm

Thanks, everyone. I'm leaning towards buying if I can get a little break on the price.

If practicing is all I'm able to do with it for a year or longer I'm really ok with that.

Post Reply