Love for old Peavey

Make it loud here.
User avatar
bah humbuck
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:38 am
Location: california

Re: Love for old Peavey

Post by bah humbuck » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:45 am

the saturation circuit on my peavey special 130 gives an absolutely crushing grungy/shoegaze ultra-fucked fuzz sound when dimed. i want to get some kind of "loud and clean" amp, maybe a bass amp or one of the red knob princeton chorus(ses), and run them in stereo for total tonal perfection.

SadFuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:12 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Love for old Peavey

Post by SadFuzz » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:20 pm

bah humbuck wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:45 am
the saturation circuit on my peavey special 130 gives an absolutely crushing grungy/shoegaze ultra-fucked fuzz sound when dimed. i want to get some kind of "loud and clean" amp, maybe a bass amp or one of the red knob princeton chorus(ses), and run them in stereo for total tonal perfection.
I'd love a 130 or an old solid state fender as a small amp for rehearsal or easy carrying.
"Turns out meeting new people was a lot more complicated than i originally thought."

User avatar
rat n' fuzz factory
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: Love for old Peavey

Post by rat n' fuzz factory » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:32 pm

I use a Peavey Deuce, great clean sound, plenty of headroom takes pedals well and terrifyingly loud. Transistor pre, valve power still a very warm sound.
Works in 4ohms two and high output, use with a full stack and that is monstrous, handles downtuned doom lovely, I like having a freaky rare amp, its in really good condition, I had a good amp man it through it.
What I would love to find here in the Uk would be a Peavey Windsor, allegedly a more Marshall type tone, never seen one! and any one ever played one??? are they a poor mans Marshall????

User avatar
rat n' fuzz factory
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: Love for old Peavey

Post by rat n' fuzz factory » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:44 pm

Also the closest I ever became to being a professional musician, in my early 20s, I toured the Uk and Europe punky venues, squats and festivals constantly with a Peavey Backstage 40watt, it did every gig and rehearsal with the clean channel maxed right out to be heard with pedals in front for 7 years (I don't know why I never slowed down and brought a good amp in this period,youth hey!),,,but yeah the said Peavey still works to this day and the 7 years were 92-2000 although rarely used the last 20 years stopped touring and brought proper big amps since then!

User avatar
rhythmjones
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2592
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 4:18 pm
Location: Kansas City, Mo
Contact:

Re: Love for old Peavey

Post by rhythmjones » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:46 pm

Partially inspired by this thread, and a conversation I had with my coworker about 80s Peavey, I have bought an old 30 watt Backstage Plus.

I wanted to have a small amp at my work bench so I don't have to go across the room to the music studio when testing out guitars I'm working on and this should fit the bill well.
- Mitch

User avatar
rat n' fuzz factory
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: Love for old Peavey

Post by rat n' fuzz factory » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:04 pm

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:54 pm
Pretty sure Lynyrd Skynyrd used Peavey Maces a lot on their hay day. They were pretty renowned for their tone.
Yeah Skynyrd and Sly and The Family Stone used Maces. The Dire Straits rhythm guitarist Knopfler brother uses the combo or a Duece too

User avatar
rat n' fuzz factory
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: Love for old Peavey

Post by rat n' fuzz factory » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:08 pm

[
and Elvis Costello a user too, didn't know that. Thats exactly like my amp
Sorry I haven't read this thread in order just been looking for Duece/Mace/Windsor content
Image
[/quote]

User avatar
bah humbuck
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:38 am
Location: california

Re: Love for old Peavey

Post by bah humbuck » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:51 am

SadFuzz wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:20 pm
bah humbuck wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:45 am
the saturation circuit on my peavey special 130 gives an absolutely crushing grungy/shoegaze ultra-fucked fuzz sound when dimed. i want to get some kind of "loud and clean" amp, maybe a bass amp or one of the red knob princeton chorus(ses), and run them in stereo for total tonal perfection.
I'd love a 130 or an old solid state fender as a small amp for rehearsal or easy carrying.
I don’t know that I’d call it an “easy carry” but it’s no Twin, that’s for sure!

User avatar
bah humbuck
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:38 am
Location: california

Re: Love for old Peavey

Post by bah humbuck » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:53 am

rat n' fuzz factory wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:32 pm
I use a Peavey Deuce, great clean sound, plenty of headroom takes pedals well and terrifyingly loud. Transistor pre, valve power still a very warm sound.
Works in 4ohms two and high output, use with a full stack and that is monstrous, handles downtuned doom lovely, I like having a freaky rare amp, its in really good condition, I had a good amp man it through it.
Damn, there was one of these on my local classified site for $200 a couple weeks ago and I didn’t take it. Now I’m feeling a tinge of regret...

User avatar
MuscleDad420
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:19 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: Love for old Peavey

Post by MuscleDad420 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:20 am

rat n' fuzz factory wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:44 pm
Also the closest I ever became to being a professional musician, in my early 20s, I toured the Uk and Europe punky venues, squats and festivals constantly with a Peavey Backstage 40watt, it did every gig and rehearsal with the clean channel maxed right out to be heard with pedals in front for 7 years (I don't know why I never slowed down and brought a good amp in this period,youth hey!),,,but yeah the said Peavey still works to this day and the 7 years were 92-2000 although rarely used the last 20 years stopped touring and brought proper big amps since then!
Paul Weller mic’d a Backstage 30 sidestage during the Setting Sons era for live shows. All the Marshall cabs and Vox amps were stage dressing. So hey, you were in good company.

User avatar
Maggieo
Expat
Expat
Posts: 10676
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: Love for old Peavey

Post by Maggieo » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:09 am

MuscleDad420 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:20 am
rat n' fuzz factory wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:44 pm
Also the closest I ever became to being a professional musician, in my early 20s, I toured the Uk and Europe punky venues, squats and festivals constantly with a Peavey Backstage 40watt, it did every gig and rehearsal with the clean channel maxed right out to be heard with pedals in front for 7 years (I don't know why I never slowed down and brought a good amp in this period,youth hey!),,,but yeah the said Peavey still works to this day and the 7 years were 92-2000 although rarely used the last 20 years stopped touring and brought proper big amps since then!
Paul Weller mic’d a Backstage 30 sidestage during the Setting Sons era for live shows. All the Marshall cabs and Vox amps were stage dressing. So hey, you were in good company.
And it sounded great!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

User avatar
BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5057
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:50 am
Location: Newfoundland

Re: Love for old Peavey

Post by BoringPostcards » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:04 pm

Thurston Moore used an old Peavey head for a lot of SY's career. Maybe even still uses them.
"Can you please pass me a jug of winter light?" - Lee Ranaldo 2000
Det er mig der holder træerne sammen.

User avatar
panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 15821
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:09 pm
Location: baltimore, md.

Re: Love for old Peavey

Post by panoramic » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:40 am

Image
Image

the same applies to old vintage yamaha heads, you can score them for sub $100 and they will all have killer reverb and trem (solid state)
Image
Image
Last edited by panoramic on Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
i used to be cool

User avatar
mortron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue May 12, 2020 3:50 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Love for old Peavey

Post by mortron » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:05 am

My first Bass amp was a TNT115... Thing was big and loud. It also nearly killed our drummer when he decided to play bass and sing one jam. I guess the music shop I bought it from didn't do much tech work, nor did they earn me about vintage amps and the stupid death caps.

I have a friend who owns one, and feel uncomfortable just sitting next to it haha.

User avatar
panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 15821
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:09 pm
Location: baltimore, md.

Re: Love for old Peavey

Post by panoramic » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:07 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:04 pm
Thurston Moore used an old Peavey head for a lot of SY's career. Maybe even still uses them.
he does
i used to be cool

Post Reply