Looking for a 2nd Amp, home use

Make it loud here.
kgbAttack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Looking for a 2nd Amp, home use

Post by kgbAttack » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:40 am

Guys, I've made a decision and a purchase ;D Stay tuned for more info, after the amp arrives :whistle:

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:00 pm

That could be a while with this whole global pandemic thing that’s happening right now. Can you give us a hint, Larry-style? ;)

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:03 pm

I’m going to guess a Marshall, the new mini-Plexi, or maybe an Origins (or oranges, as some world leaders like to pronounce it).

Whatever it is. I hope it’s a cool amp, and you have still have some money left over to get the pedals you want.

If you didn’t get the plexi and really like that sound, I can recommend the Keeley el Rey Dorado pretty highly for those tones. Keep the gain and the treble lower (9 to 12 o’clock) - especially the gain on the full tilt side of the switch, and it does some fantastic sounds, with very little gain required from your amp, so you can use it like a channel switcher.

Like my BD-2 that he modded, theres tons of gain, way more than you should really need. That’s actually something I’ve read some people bitch about in reviews, but that’s why there’s a knob...
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

kgbAttack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kgbAttack » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:25 pm

wproffitt wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:00 pm
That could be a while with this whole global pandemic thing that’s happening right now. Can you give us a hint, Larry-style? ;)
One of the good thing of living in the Netherlands is that when something Is in stock, it typically is delivered within 24h. So I expect it today, or tomorrow at latest. There's a long weekend holiday here on Mon-Tue, so that's perfect timing as the online course I am taking will be finally over on Sunday ;D
somanytoys wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:03 pm
I’m going to guess a Marshall, the new mini-Plexi, or maybe an Origins (or oranges, as some world leaders like to pronounce it).

Whatever it is. I hope it’s a cool amp, and you have still have some money left over to get the pedals you want.
The hint is that it's within the list I have included in the original post. I have decided to give it a try, given that I can return it within 30-days if I don't like it. I re-arranged my board (virtually, for now) and I think I have come up with a solution for all the things I wanted/want to try.
somanytoys wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:03 pm
If you didn’t get the plexi and really like that sound, I can recommend the Keeley el Rey Dorado pretty highly for those tones. Keep the gain and the treble lower (9 to 12 o’clock) - especially the gain on the full tilt side of the switch, and it does some fantastic sounds, with very little gain required from your amp, so you can use it like a channel switcher.

Like my BD-2 that he modded, theres tons of gain, way more than you should really need. That’s actually something I’ve read some people bitch about in reviews, but that’s why there’s a knob...
Thanks for the tip! I'll look into it for sure. I have a Brothers and a Condor on my board so hopefully I can check with that first, but I do like Keeley for many things. I have the Keeley DS-1 since 2006 or 2007, I think. I just recently sold the C4, though, too many knobs in a compressor for me :)

secretroutines
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by secretroutines » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:24 am

kgbAttack wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:25 pm

The hint is that it's within the list I have included in the original post. I have decided to give it a try, given that I can return it within 30-days if I don't like it. I re-arranged my board (virtually, for now) and I think I have come up with a solution for all the things I wanted/want to try.
Iridium