Anybody into Traynor TS-25s?

Make it loud here.
somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anybody into Traynor TS-25s?

Post by somanytoys » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:12 pm

Haha - I actually kept forgetting that you were playing bag guitar through it, while I was reading some of your posts. A friend of mine got the Tronographic guitar model quite a while back, but I think he ended up selling it.

I’m going to have to put it in a guitar chain soon (or just by itself) and check it out with a couple of amps (probably small Vox AC4 and a Bugera T5. I may also give it a run on one of my Deluxe copies, since you said it sounds good with Fenders.

As crazy as it sounds (to me), I think I may also try it with the TS-10. They should be pretty similar circuits, it could be exactly what I need to make it sound really good - I guess it’ll either fight the amp’s circuitry or complement it well...

I know you like it with guitar, but you should give it a quick run with bass one day, it’s really nice on bass.

Thanks for the tips!
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:19 pm

lunaticjaguar wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:08 pm
i just plugged into my TS25 for the first time in a while, the reverb is so nice and springy, i was getting some real sweet barre chords out of it at low volume. I felt like Sterling Morrison for about 5 minutes.
Nice! I wish I had a better/larger version, the TS-10 is bare bones - no reverb, a “volume” (read:gain) knob, a master knob, and just a tone knob instead of separate controls.

I’m very convinced that it doesn’t sound anywhere as good as the better ones that you guys have. Maybe the Rusty Box can do something about that....
-David

lunaticjaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lunaticjaguar » Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:11 am

i dont know about where you are but these come up in Canada all the time for dirt cheap. You should try to get your mitts on one.

in my experience the 10 is for dirty lead overdubs in the studio and thats about it.

my old band used to gig with a ts 25 and a ts25b on bass with no issues. we were pretty garagey though.

i had an absolutely amazing ts140 a couple years ago, super nice dark doomy fuzz tones but i couldnt deal with the weight of it even on wheels

Never heard of these pedals before, are they actually trying to emulate the TS circuit? the website doesnt give much detail.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:43 am

somanytoys wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:12 pm
Haha - I actually kept forgetting that you were playing bag guitar through it, while I was reading some of your posts. A friend of mine got the Tronographic guitar model quite a while back, but I think he ended up selling it.

I’m going to have to put it in a guitar chain soon (or just by itself) and check it out with a couple of amps (probably small Vox AC4 and a Bugera T5. I may also give it a run on one of my Deluxe copies, since you said it sounds good with Fenders.

As crazy as it sounds (to me), I think I may also try it with the TS-10. They should be pretty similar circuits, it could be exactly what I need to make it sound really good - I guess it’ll either fight the amp’s circuitry or complement it well...

I know you like it with guitar, but you should give it a quick run with bass one day, it’s really nice on bass.

Thanks for the tips!
I actually bought it first because I thought I'd be using it as a DI for recording bass. I tried it out at a music shop (I got it used for dirt cheap because nobody knew what it was) with a Roger Waters signature bass and I loved how growly it was as an overdrive pedal for bass. But then almost never ended up using it for that purpose.

I plugged into my little pedal setup of a Holy Grail and the Rusty Box after awhile of not playing much electric guitar nd yep, still sounds awesome. I have it set as basically a slightly dirty EQ pedal and it adds just enough of whatever-it-does so that I prefer the pedal on rather than off. I think it compresses the signal nicely and as I said before... Tames the high, lows, and adds mids where my Vibrolux Reverb seems to feel a tad lacking and bloated.

I've actually brought the pedal to rehearsal spaces and gotten wonderful guitar sounds out of whatever Orange, Marshall, Engl, etc, amps they usually have there that sound awful to my ears. So it's a really, really good pedal! I don't have any desire for the guitar version because the bass version does everything I need. I also love tuning my guitars down to C# and adjusting the controls to get a HUGE clean, baritone-like sound, and I feel like the fact that it's a bass preamp helps to get those frequencies where I want them to be.

Great pedal!

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:57 am

Wow, that’s nice you scored it cheap, I bought mine full price, directly from Tronographic. No regrets, tho, worth it.

Good to know that it helps the sound with a lot of different amps - sounds like this pedal is the new Klon! But I can see it, this pedal reminds me a little of the Colourbox with its bandaxall eq’s capabilities, if you don’t go too crazy with the Colourbox’s grind. That’s a really nice (but expensive) pedal, too, especially for bass. I think it gets a bad rap for being pigeonholed as a “Revolution” one trick pony. Fantastic as a DI.

Damn, you tune to C#?!? Does the neck look like you could shoot an arrow with it?!? Haha. No wonder it does the awesome with your sound, but I’m sure it does well even on standard tuning. I shall find out...
-David