Electro-Harmonix 44 Caliber amps is shockingly, delightfully fun

Make it loud here.
tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Electro-Harmonix 44 Caliber amps is shockingly, delightfully fun

Post by tdbajus » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:42 am

I'm using a Boomerang looper, and wanted to run my loops through a separate amp. I'm using a Victoria Chicagolux mostly these days (seems like a fairly accurate Vibrolux clone) so I only need something that could compete with a 10 watt amp.

Boy does it.

I'm running the Boomerang last in line:

Tuner -> Disaster Area WMD -> Analogman delay -> xotic comp -> Prince of Tone -> 60 Second Delay -> Boomerang

So, the dry output of the 'Rang goes into the Vibrolux, and the loops go to:

DL4 -> Helix Stomp -> 44 Caliber

First, while I can never totally have fun playing through an amp modeller for whatever reason, I think it sounds great on the loops. The 44 Caliber has a really cool sound, sound great clean or distorted, and with a lightweight 1x12 cab with a Weber in it, I couldn't be happier. So light weight, LOUD, and what I like best is they didn't try to model anything- it just is what it is. And what it is is totally swell. It's got enough juice to crush the Vibrolux, output-wise (which was something of a surprise to me).

If I was going on tour where I had to carry all my stuff on planes, I think I would enjoy myself quite a bit with this little guy. So rarely are my expectations so well exceeded.

Anyone else try one out?

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Electro-Harmonix 44 Caliber amps is shockingly, delightfully fun

Post by StevenO » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:52 pm

I've thought about getting one of these for a long time. I have a preamp pedal that I love to use, called the Rusty Box, and it would be really great going straight to a power amp and then a lightweight speaker can. I actually got the idea from using a Fender Rumble 25 bass amp with guitars. It's very clean and big sounding and with pedals can sound really quite great for electric guitar. Not tubey, but good enough.

Cool to see you enjoying this one.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Electro-Harmonix 44 Caliber amps is shockingly, delightfully fun

Post by somanytoys » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:23 pm

I have the Rusty Box, its an awesome pedal. I also have the amp head that the pedal is designed from, the TS-50B.

The poweramp in the TS is solid state, so you should be fine using that pedal with almost any power amp, just have to use the preamp side of the pedal. A tube amp might be nicer, but it also might change the character of the sound (?).

I typically use the Rusty Box with an older QSC power amp, into a GK 4x10. The pedal & QSC sounds just like the TS head through the same cab.

What you’re looking to do should work out well for you.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.