Traynor YBA-4 head-Need some info

Make it loud here.
Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Traynor YBA-4 head-Need some info

Post by Igorilla » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:40 am

Hello,

I would greatly appreciate some first hand opinions on Traynor YBA-4 amp.

I know that it is based on 5F6-A, but without rectifier tube which is a plus for me as rectifier sag is not my cup of tea.

So far I have found out that in this later series from the 70s Traynor has used somewhat smaller output transformer compared to YBA-1.
I have played YBA-1 Mark I once, which supposedly has 45 Watt output, but my impression was that it was much much louder. It felt like 100 Watts which is too much for me. Otherwise the amp sounded fantastic. So my hope is that the YBA-4 with the slightly smaller OT puts out 45-50 Watts on the usual tube amp scale while having the sound in the ballpark of YBA-1.

So my questions are: How does YBA-4 compare to YBA-1? Or, how does it compare to 5F6-A? Or to brownface Fenders?
I would like some fat/bold tweed like cleans without the tube recto sag and flubby bass.

Any info wold be greatly appreciated!

Here it is:

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Traynor YBA-4 head-Need some info

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:27 pm

i know there is a few guys on here who know a lot about traynors.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Marc
Expat
Expat

Post by Marc » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:56 am

I can’t comment on your new amp other than say congrats - they are so underrated and so cheap for handwired PTP amps. I have a YGM3 combo from the early 70s and it’s delightful now it has had the infamously bright tonestack modded. For info there is a pretty active vintage Traynor FB group that has knowledge of your amp.

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Igorilla » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:06 am

Marc wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:56 am
I can’t comment on your new amp other than say congrats - they are so underrated and so cheap for handwired PTP amps. I have a YGM3 combo from the early 70s and it’s delightful now it has had the infamously bright tonestack modded. For info there is a pretty active vintage Traynor FB group that has knowledge of your amp.
Thanks for the hint regarding the FB group!

It is not my amp, I have been offered one and
am awaiting pictures of the chassis inside. I hope it is not totally molestered.

My main concern is the power/ volume of the
YBA-amps. If this one has a little less power while
retaining the YBA-1 attitude it would be perfect.

My main amp is a 6G6-B Bassman and I want
some flavour of tweed Bassman and early Marshall Plexi.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:45 am

I only have Traynor solid state amps for bass (and a tiny guitar amp I bought one a whim), so I can’t really help with their tube series.

But if the Traynor situation doesn’t happen to work out, Frenzel makes a 25/30 watt tube amp with both Deluxe and Plexi preamps, so you can choose between them or blend them. I have 2, one of them is the Retro version , which is the tweed style deluxe, and also has an added option to afterburner the Plexi into a JCM 800. Handmade to order, and not ridiculously expensive.

Just another option, if you were interested.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Igorilla » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:41 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:45 am
I only have Traynor solid state amps for bass (and a tiny guitar amp I bought one a whim), so I can’t really help with their tube series.

But if the Traynor situation doesn’t happen to work out, Frenzel makes a 25/30 watt tube amp with both Deluxe and Plexi preamps, so you can choose between them or blend them. I have 2, one of them is the Retro version , which is the tweed style deluxe, and also has an added option to afterburner the Plexi into a JCM 800. Handmade to order, and not ridiculously expensive.

Just another option, if you were interested.
Ah, sorry for the late replay. Thanks for the heads up towards Frenzel!
I think I am covered in the Deluxe department with my Ampeg J-20, which is more or less a copy of brownface deluxe.
But Plexi thing is tempting, very tempting... :)

It turned out that the YBA-4 that I considered buying is heavily modified. Too much for my taste.

But while looking for Traynor amps, or amps in general, after longer hiatus I found by accident something different that I was looking for for 7-8 years now. A blonde 6G7-A Bandmaster head arrived today...
I'll post a NAD soon.

ismacdon
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ismacdon » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:35 am

I have that amp in combo form and it is more like a BF Fender circuit than a 5F6A or Marshall...Plate driven tone stack VS cathode follower. It is a fucking beast however. I turned mine into a JMP 50W and its marvelous. I know you didn't get it, but if you see one again consider it.

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Igorilla » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:17 am

ismacdon wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:35 am
I have that amp in combo form and it is more like a BF Fender circuit than a 5F6A or Marshall...Plate driven tone stack VS cathode follower. It is a fucking beast however. I turned mine into a JMP 50W and its marvelous. I know you didn't get it, but if you see one again consider it.
Thanks for the reply! They are rare here in Europe and I will definitely consider buying if I see one again. But I have to sell some gear I don't use anymore.