NAD: Peavey Heritage

Make it loud here.
SadFuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NAD: Peavey Heritage

Post by SadFuzz » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:58 am

Finally pulled the trigger on an old Peavey Heritage VTX. Big old 2x12 hybrid valve/solid state from the 80s, lovely fendery clean. Got a squier strat in the deal too, all for £250, and can confirm I'm loving it.
The reverb is beautiful and the phaser is hella whacky. Kinda mushy gain channel but I'm running a distortion pedal into the clean and it seems to like it fine.
This is my first really good amp and I'm not disappointed.
icerinkband.bandcamp.com

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NAD: Peavey Heritage

Post by somanytoys » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:29 pm

That’s pretty cool, never tried one. And a guitar, great deal.

The gain on ss preamps are typically pretty bad, especially from that era. Have you tried dialing down the gain knob a good bit (like most of the way) on the gain channel, and using the pedal with that channel?

If most or at least a lot of the nasty gain can be dialed out on the amp, a dirt pedal should sound even better in that channel, working a little less hard with the minimal gain the amp already has going, but hopefully flavoring it nicely. It could also backfire and still sound like shit, and you’ll just need to stick with the pedal in the clean channel.

I do that with an old 70s/80s Traynor ss amp with no 2nd channel, the amp’s gain is just absolutely horrid. I dial out as much of the preamp gain as possible (like on almost 1, just so it pushes some sound to the poweramp), and use an Ibanez TS-9 (set clean) & a Boss BD-2 (drive set to taste), and that helps a lot.

Worth a shot...that’s exactly why pedals were made!
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

SadFuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SadFuzz » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:09 pm

Played a bit more, super ripped up sounding with the ds1 through the clean channel, love it. It with the strat nails the slint sound.
Great canvas for my own tones too.
icerinkband.bandcamp.com

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:05 pm

That’s really good, great that it makes a good canvas, that’s important.

Seems like you could hopefully also use the dirt channel with a pedal or 2 to get another good sound, but that’s going to be for you to figure out if it’s worth bothering with. I don’t really ever change channels on the amps that do have a 2nd channel, but it is nice to have - as long as you have the handy foot switch.

I never got along with the ds-1, personally. Got one, then got it modded, and it still wasn’t for me. Glad it’s working for you with that amp, great get.

Congratulations, make some noise!
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Lamar Fandango
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lamar Fandango » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:45 pm

Very cool. I used to have a similar hybrid Music Man RD100. The cleans on the Peavey are a great platform for all kinds of pedal shenanigans. Congrats