Brown Princeton vs Tweed Vibrolux

Make it loud here.
tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Brown Princeton vs Tweed Vibrolux

Post by tdbajus » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:03 am

It's my birthday (more or less) and so while visiting an old friend in Chicago to see Jawbox both nights they played (glad we did- while the first night was great, the second evening was maybe the best I have ever seen them live), I stopped by Chicago Music Exchange and bought their Chicagolux, which they sell as their exact reproduction of a Tweed Vibrolux.

Because CME is a wonderland of the expensive toys that never seem to make it to NYC, I was able to play it back to back with the new Chris Stapleton brown tolex Princeton.

My understanding is that both amps are very, very similar (schematic-wise)- cathodyne PI, 6V6s, 10" speaker, same negative feedback. I'm looking at the schematics right now, and (given my limited ability to understand them, anyway), they look very similar. Interestingly, it looks like they have about half the negative feedback as a BF princeton (I always think BF Princetons sound great clean, and a little grating overdriven).

Both amps sound pretty different. Is it really just the speaker cabinet/speaker choices that make such a huge difference?

Jesus, I love this amp. I had been drooling over Victoria's Harvard amp, and this is even better. The tremolo is inhumanly amazing.

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Brown Princeton vs Tweed Vibrolux

Post by wproffitt » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:11 am

Congrats on the new amp! How are you liking it?
As for the 5f11 and 6g2, both amps do indeed sound great! The quirky thing about the 5f11 is that it has a third input (just like the Harvard which, as I understand it, is just a vibrolux without the trem). Instead of just hi and lo inputs, you have hi, medium, and lo, so you can really bring volume down to your needs/tastes. This is a handy feature.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:23 am

Components, speaker, cabinet, etc. All can have a fair bit of difference in sound, for sure. I find my Brownface Princeton to be pretty picky when it comes to speakers. It sounds great into my early 60s JBL D130F, a little 2x8" cab I made, and the little Utah replacement speaker that is in the amp currently, but I went through a lot of speakers and not all worked well to the amp's characteristics.

I also am not sure how "exact" Victoria amps are... They're well-made, from what I understand, but I think they use parts like Orange Drops and stuff like that most builders/amp-fanatics scoff at for Fender designs. But also, take that with a grain of salt. Also not sure how accurate a new Fender creation would be either... All that matters is the sound! If it sounds good and works for you, then it's a great amp! :)

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:17 am

Good advice.

Speakers can really make or break an amp’s sound. Tubes can have a large impact as well.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:14 am

StevenO wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:23 am
I also am not sure how "exact" Victoria amps are... They're well-made, from what I understand, but I think they use parts like Orange Drops and stuff like that most builders/amp-fanatics scoff at for Fender designs. But also, take that with a grain of salt. Also not sure how accurate a new Fender creation would be either... All that matters is the sound! If it sounds good and works for you, then it's a great amp! :)
I don't think most Victorias are exact replicas- but in this case, according to CME, the "Chicagolux" is supposed to be an exact replica. I'm not devoted to vintage spec- I generally find that I like heavier transformers and new manufacture speakers (broken in, of course- but I'll take a Weber with the heavier magnets over a vintage speaker any day of the week). So I was somewhat surprised to find out how much I love this little amp!

What's wrong with Orange Drops? I love the much more expensive, fancy pants Jupiter caps, but Orange Drops work and sound great!

I'll try and take the back of the amp off again and take a picture. The wiring is absolutely exquisite.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:39 am

Nothing wrong with them, people just tend to scoff at them in a Fender.

To me Victoria's sound perfectly fine with them, but then again what do I know!

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:01 pm

StevenO wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:39 am

I am seriously baffled. Who says this? What is the prefered utilitarian cap? Is it because people think PIO or nothing?

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:36 pm

tdbajus wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:01 pm
StevenO wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:39 am

I am seriously baffled. Who says this? What is the prefered utilitarian cap? Is it because people think PIO or nothing?
I became aware of this bias when I wired up my 5E9 with orange drops. Nobody on the forums I frequent said “eww! Orange drops!”, but more than once, people made note of their presence in the amp, as if to say, “oh, that’s a look you COULD go with...” ;D
Last edited by wproffitt on Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:37 pm

I think it affects their breakup, from what I remember. I've been told a few times by amp builders the very same. But also whatever!

Tweedlux
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Tweedlux » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:46 am

Some people claim that off-the-shelf orange drops aren’t the best for audio applications; I have no opinion on that. But, the orange drops used by Victoria aren’t off-the-shelf orange drops. They are made specifically for Victoria, to their specs, for use in guitar amps. If you look closely at the orange drops in a Victoria, you will probably see they are branded Victoria on the exterior.

No affiliation, just a Victoria amp owner and a fan.

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tdbajus » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:45 am

My opinion is that Victoria is making some of the finest amps in production, at any price.