Any love for Vox amps?

Make it loud here.
somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Any love for Vox amps?

Post by somanytoys » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:43 pm

Ooooh, nice! That’s an amp for life.

What speaker comes in it? I like the alnico blue in my ac15 much more than I did the Greenback. The Greenback is nice, I just like the blue better with it.

I would like to get an ac30hw one day.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Logrinn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Logrinn » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:02 am

somanytoys wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:43 pm

What speaker comes in it? I like the alnico blue in my ac15 much more than I did the Greenback. The Greenback is nice, I just like the blue better with it.

Thanks.
Yes, I hope so. I’ve had so many amps over the years so I figured it’s about time to get that final one I could call ”the best one ever”.
So far I’m very impressed and actually surprised of all the sounds I’m able to dial in from it. I’ve always thought that a Vox gave you more or less ”one sound”.
This is the ”cheaper” one with the Greenback. But I have other speakers and cabinets to my disposal, so I’m pretty sure I’ll be very happy with it one way or another.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:14 am

Logrinn wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:02 am
somanytoys wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:43 pm

Thanks.
Yes, I hope so. I’ve had so many amps over the years so I figured it’s about time to get that final one I could call ”the best one ever”.
So far I’m very impressed and actually surprised of all the sounds I’m able to dial in from it. I’ve always thought that a Vox gave you more or less ”one sound”.
This is the ”cheaper” one with the Greenback. But I have other speakers and cabinets to my disposal, so I’m pretty sure I’ll be very happy with it one way or another.
Congrats! That is a great Amp! I've got an AC10C1with upgraded Tung Sol's, Greenback & spare Weber Special Design like Blue Spkr. I do like the Greenbacks to get a Cleaner Sound.. The Weber to get more Blue Sound. It's so easy to swap Spkrs. I switch back & forth because I like both Sounds.

I also have an AC15CC1X which has the Celestion Blue & upgraded Tubes to JJ's (which sound better than the Tung Sol's IMO in this Amp). I love that Blue Sound too!

It's great you can opt to different Speakers as there are so many beautiful Sounds that will be coming out of that Amp!

I've been wanting the AC30HW2X (Blue Spkrs) forever, but like my Twin, it would probably never move as they a Ton... The 15 would make more sense... Plus a Fawn Xternal Cab with Greenback..

Logrinn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Logrinn » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:31 am

Larsongs wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:14 am

... It's great you can opt to different Speakers as there are so many beautiful Sounds that will be coming out of that Amp!
For sure! Two big factors IMO in getting the sound you want are probably the most overlooked - the pick, the first thing in the chain, and the speaker, the last thing in the chain. Change any of those and the sound can be very different.
Today I’m experimenting with running both inputs and blending sounds. I’ m having lots of fun.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:02 am

I think you’ll enjoy playing with that for a long time to come.

I enjoyed playing ac4’s for quite a while (still do), but when I got the ac15 I had to pull my not-Fender deluxe back out to play with the ac15. Those 2 really sound great together.
-David

Chillysalsa
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Chillysalsa » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:22 pm

I replaced the wharfedales in my AC30CC2 with greenbacks and love it.
I tried the alnico blue version and it was just a little too barky for me, though blues are are great for more vintage rock sounds.

tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tune_link » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:52 am

Scrolled through this entire thread and didn't see it mentioned anywhere but I recently got an absurd deal on a Vox AC100 head and I love it. I traded a guy (no shit) an Orange CR120 solid state head that I hated and fifty bucks for it. The Vox had a channel switch that was slightly fucked up and the faceplate that says Vox is missing but those were minor cause I could give a shit about the cosmetics of an amp for the most part. Anyway, I didn't see anyone here mention anything other than the lower wattage combo amps so I thought I'd chime in.

This thing has a MASSIVE transformer much like an Ampeg V4 and wouldn't you know it, the cleans are huge and crystal clear....go figure. It takes pedals extremely well. I can't find a lot of info on it other than there's some video of Troy Van Leeuwen using a 50 watt version on youtube where it's clearly a paid promo by Vox and he's playing through the 50 watt version's super shitty dirty channel. The transformer which makes this thing sound great also makes it heavier than hell to carry so I've only used it at band practice twice (I normally play through a 100 watt Marshall tube head which weighs about half of this). Anyway, curious if anyone else had ever run into one of these or had/has one. I only knew it existed by seeing the ad for this one on Craigslist, doing some internet research to make sure it was a legit real amp made by Vox, etc. I didn't know they ever made anything other than combos (which I know a lot of people swear by and bands that I love - MBV, Dino Jr, etc. use).

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:52 am

tune_link wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:52 am
Scrolled through this entire thread and didn't see it mentioned anywhere but I recently got an absurd deal on a Vox AC100 head and I love it. I traded a guy (no shit) an Orange CR120 solid state head that I hated and fifty bucks for it. The Vox had a channel switch that was slightly fucked up and the faceplate that says Vox is missing but those were minor cause I could give a shit about the cosmetics of an amp for the most part. Anyway, I didn't see anyone here mention anything other than the lower wattage combo amps so I thought I'd chime in.

This thing has a MASSIVE transformer much like an Ampeg V4 and wouldn't you know it, the cleans are huge and crystal clear....go figure. It takes pedals extremely well. I can't find a lot of info on it other than there's some video of Troy Van Leeuwen using a 50 watt version on youtube where it's clearly a paid promo by Vox and he's playing through the 50 watt version's super shitty dirty channel. The transformer which makes this thing sound great also makes it heavier than hell to carry so I've only used it at band practice twice (I normally play through a 100 watt Marshall tube head which weighs about half of this). Anyway, curious if anyone else had ever run into one of these or had/has one. I only knew it existed by seeing the ad for this one on Craigslist, doing some internet research to make sure it was a legit real amp made by Vox, etc. I didn't know they ever made anything other than combos (which I know a lot of people swear by and bands that I love - MBV, Dino Jr, etc. use).
You made out on that deal! Congrats! Check www.NorthCoastMusic.com for Vox Parts... They also have links to all things Vox.. Also www.BeatGearCavernForum.com is full of Vox Afficianados...

Great Amp! Enjoy!

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:32 am

Chillysalsa wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:22 pm
I tried the alnico blue version and it was just a little too barky for me, though blues are are great for more vintage rock sounds.
I have to say, the Greenback that came with my AC15 sounded good, and it sounds good in the AC4 cab, Andy the 10” Greenback in the combo, but I personally like the blue better with the ac15.

The Weber Silver Bell alnico is very nice as well, much throatier, but there is something to the blue that I like that isn’t there with other amps & speakers. I think I like the bark because I’m almost always playing it along with another amp. I can’t wait to hear the AC4C1 with the 10” Weber Silver Bell, I think that’s going to sound great with the ac15/blue as well.

Enjoy the greenbacks, they’re nice speakers. If you bought them new, they should sound even better as they break in.
-David

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:37 am

I’ve read about the AC100 heads, but haven’t seen one.

I’d imagine that those will be sold more often, as the true need for very high wattage amps decreases, depending on where you play.

It’s kind of funny, I have hundreds and hundreds of watts for my bass amps, but all of my guitar amps are 30 watts or less. They just carry so well, I don’t need any more, and they can typically be mic’d if necessary. But it takes a lot of wattage to move bass frequencies.
Especially the brown sound.
-David

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:39 am

somanytoys wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:32 am
Chillysalsa wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:22 pm
I have to say, the Greenback that came with my AC15 sounded good, and it sounds good in the AC4 cab, Andy the 10” Greenback in the combo, but I personally like the blue better with the ac15.

The Weber Silver Bell alnico is very nice as well, much throatier, but there is something to the blue that I like that isn’t there with other amps & speakers. I think I like the bark because I’m almost always playing it along with another amp. I can’t wait to hear the AC4C1 with the 10” Weber Silver Bell, I think that’s going to sound great with the ac15/blue as well.

Enjoy the greenbacks, they’re nice speakers. If you bought them new, they should sound even better as they break in.
I had an AC15 with Wharfdale & I didn't like the sound at all. Returned it immediately. Got one with the Blue & love that Amp!

I bought a FSR Vox AC10 from Sweetwater that came with an upgraded Celestion Greenback which sounds real good. But, out of curiousity after seeing a YouTube of a special design Weber for AC10's that are supposed to sound like the Celestion Alnico Blue but 10" Spkr sized to fit in the AC10 I bought it. I upgraded the Tubes to Tung Sol's. Now it's my favorite little Amp to play.. Little but big Sound & gets Loud!

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:48 am

I bet that sounds awesome!

I’m still waiting for my 10” Weber Silver Bell alnico to put in my AC4C1 TV, to replace the 80th anniversary Vintage.

I played it with the 12” Silver Bell cab and it sounds amazing. I know the 10” won’t be exactly the same, but it will sound great on its own, and I can alway jack out to the 12” cab.

I went with the Tung Sol tubes on most of my Vox amps as well, I seem to like those best. I still have a set of JJs in one and Mesa Boogie’s in another that they both came with, but I prefer the sound of the ones I upgraded with the TS’s.

Edit: which speaker was that Weber that you bought, not a Blue Pup? I’m worried I may have to take the dustcovdr off of the Silver Bell to fit into the AC4C1.
-David

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:19 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:48 am
I bet that sounds awesome!

I’m still waiting for my 10” Weber Silver Bell alnico to put in my AC4C1 TV, to replace the 80th anniversary Vintage.

I played it with the 12” Silver Bell cab and it sounds amazing. I know the 10” won’t be exactly the same, but it will sound great on its own, and I can alway jack out to the 12” cab.

I went with the Tung Sol tubes on most of my Vox amps as well, I seem to like those best. I still have a set of JJs in one and Mesa Boogie’s in another that they both came with, but I prefer the sound of the ones I upgraded with the TS’s.

Edit: which speaker was that Weber that you bought, not a Blue Pup? I’m worried I may have to take the dustcovdr off of the Silver Bell to fit into the AC4C1.
The Blue Pup is too deep & won't fit. This is the Special design for AC10's that I got. It sounds really great especially with Tung Sol's. https://www.tedweber.com/dt10-p

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:36 pm

Ah, thanks. Good to know.

They have a lot of speakers, I ran across that one before but didn’t read the description, apparently.
-David

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:17 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:36 pm
Ah, thanks. Good to know.

They have a lot of speakers, I ran across that one before but didn’t read the description, apparently.
It's the only Weber I've tried & it's a great sounding Speaker..