Make it loud here.
Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Is there a big difference...

Post by Larsongs » Sun May 12, 2019 8:45 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:05 am
Yes, everything matters and plays a part.

I have quite a few of the cheaper Vox AC4TVs, 10" combos and head/12" cabs. I believe that all of the tubes have been upgraded in all of them, they vary from JJ's to Tung Sol's to Mesa's. Each has a little different flavor, but then most of them also have different upgraded speakers.

Because of all of that, and possibly some small variances between manufacturing years, each one seems to have a bit of a unique sound, its own personality. I've tried to flow the different signal chains into the ones that seem to complement each chain's sound best, but that can also be subjective and can change over time.

The main thing, though, is that with pretty much the same circuits pushing all of them (although with different tubes), I find that the 10" combos scream a lot more than the 12" cabs. I realize that the combo cabs are smaller and the sound doesn't have the space to develop as fully as the 12" cabs, and that contributes to the difference as well. I've found the same with using a 12" speaker with my larger Fender & Marshall clones vs my Laney VC combo with 2x10s, but they're also different amp types.

Overall it seems that the 12" cabs are warm and rich, and give a deeper and more complicated 3D sound to the deeper modulated sounds & delays. But those 10" combos just stay right in your face and really define exactly what's going on, right up front. It's actually a nice balance using them together. It would be hard to pick using only one type over the other, for something like gigging. I think that the main concern would probably come down to size, weight & ease of moving them, so the little combos might win out in that case.
These days I leave my bigger Fender, Vox & Marshall Amps in my Studio. When I play out I take my upgraded Vox AC10C1 or my Stock 65 RI Princeton Reverb & Mic them if necessary...

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Mon May 13, 2019 8:24 am

I tend to think that's what I'd be doing if I were/when I start gigging out again.

Either the small Vox combos with mics, and/or possibly the Bugera T5's into a Iconoclast, into the board. It would be even easier just bringing the Bugeras and the Iconoclast, as long as I don't need a stage presence for myself from an amp, just monitors. Hell, I might could almost bring everything in or out with one trip, with a guitar, pedalboard and that little setup.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Mon May 13, 2019 10:02 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:24 am
I tend to think that's what I'd be doing if I were/when I start gigging out again.

Either the small Vox combos with mics, and/or possibly the Bugera T5's into a Iconoclast, into the board. It would be even easier just bringing the Bugeras and the Iconoclast, as long as I don't need a stage presence for myself from an amp, just monitors. Hell, I might could almost bring everything in or out with one trip, with a guitar, pedalboard and that little setup.
I've been trying to get my Rig to where I can Load in & out in one trip... I know a couple Guys that Gig 5 nights a week that have figured out how to do it...