PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Signal Noise from Surge Protectors

Post by øøøøøøø » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:44 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:39 pm
øøøøøøø wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:18 am
Other devices (besides dimmer switches) that use triacs and can therefore cause noise:

Motion sensing lights
Electric heating devices
Attic fans

Basically, if something is cheap, simple, and variable... it could contain triac-based attenuation and therefore cause noise.

These insidious beasts cause EMI (and even RFI) due to noise at the turn-on and turn-off point. They're switching many times per second. They make all of the wiring in the wall into an antenna that radiates interference.

Any time there's a mysterious noise it's worth searching to see if there's any dimmer-like object around. The noise doesn't radiate from the device itself... it radiates from anywhere utility power runs in the walls, etc.
I've always had plenty of noise from pretty much everything I own. I always attributed it to being inherently noisy, old gear. BUT, I do have two dimmers in my house that I know of at this, that I haven't gotten rid of yet. I had no idea they could contribute to an issue such as this. I'll have to swap them out the next time I make it to Lowes or Home Depot.
YES.

A strong chance that many of your problems disappear when you do, particularly if the dimmers are old or inexpensive