panoramic wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:57 am
nanamour wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:29 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:13 am
nice but who'se chris stapleton?
Apparently the New Country Sensation.

Lol I know country isn't everyone on here's cup of tea, but you should check him out. His first album titled Traveler is pretty good. I can't speak for anything after that.

He has an old school vibe That's reminiscent of the older country music that was more genuine and raw. Since his popularity has grown you're seeing more emerging artists in the same vein. NIcholas Jamerson, Tyler Childers, and Sturgill Simpson to name a few. All of these artists, including Chris are from my area in eastern KY (literally a 2 hour driving radius separates their home towns).

But, if you don't like country music I don't think it should deter you from this amp. I'm strongly considering it because it looks like it ticks all my current boxes. Smaller than my JC-120, clean but with character, cosmetically awesome, and hand-wired. FWIW my favorite music to play is mostly ambient, gazey, cure-ish stuff..I mostly hate country music. Except for Chris and the others I mentioned.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New 62' Princeton Chris Stapleton Edition

Post by StevenO » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:15 am

Cool idea. Expensive, but cool. It's got a 12" speaker, which I think is a little unfortunate. These amps don't have the most low-end, so I think Fender was probably a little worried that if they reconfigure the circuit so that it has more lows, people will complain that it's not like the originals. If they leave it like the originals, people will complain that it lacks low-end. Throw a 12" in there and it probably sounds OK. Personally, these amps are like a large Tweed-ish Vibro Champ, which it essentially is considering the circuit is more or less the same as a Tweed Vibrolux. I'll definitely be checking one out when I see one locally. I really liked the reissue Tweed Deluxe amps when I've played them so no doubt these will be good sounding amps.

Hope they sell well and increase the price of my '61 Princeton. :shifty:

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:05 pm

Maybe 15 years ago, I very nearly bought a 6G2 Princeton that had been recovered with purple tolex and had the 10” speaker swapped for a 12”. It was around $350. A couple of weeks later, I saw Jens Lekman at the Black Cat and lo and behold, he was playing through a purple 6G2. I asked him about it after the show, and sure enough, it was the same amp.

I was psyched when I saw this reissue, until I saw the price. Maybe Fender can do a non-handwired version covered in purple for a reasonable price and call it the Jens Lekman model.
Thread killer

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:41 pm

blacktiger wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:05 pm
Maybe 15 years ago, I very nearly bought a 6G2 Princeton that had been recovered with purple tolex and had the 10” speaker swapped for a 12”. It was around $350. A couple of weeks later, I saw Jens Lekman at the Black Cat and lo and behold, he was playing through a purple 6G2. I asked him about it after the show, and sure enough, it was the same amp.

I was psyched when I saw this reissue, until I saw the price. Maybe Fender can do a non-handwired version covered in purple for a reasonable price and call it the Jens Lekman model.
You could roll your own...
http://www.allenamps.com/hotfudge.html
It’s still not cheap, but 500 or so cheaper than this reissue or a real on from the early 60s.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:53 pm

wproffitt wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:41 pm
blacktiger wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:05 pm

You could roll your own...
http://www.allenamps.com/hotfudge.html
It’s still not cheap, but 500 or so cheaper than this reissue or a real on from the early 60s.
For resale values sake you'd be way better off going vintage or the new fender. For warranties sake, the new fender. Plenty of reasons to not go boutique or DIY...I actually think this is a pretty decent value here.

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:04 pm

You’re right about all of that. 500 more for a vintage example isn’t really a stretch.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:29 pm

so after seeing the youtube video where he's talking about the amp. i decided to give him a listen. i know this is the amp thread, not the music discussion thread but yeah. while i didn't like it (most of what nashville puts out since 9/11 has been jingoistic trash, southern fratboys and the odd woman who is sold on the fact their a woman not on their songwriting/musicianship) this guy seemed fairly harmless.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:00 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:29 pm
so after seeing the youtube video where he's talking about the amp. i decided to give him a listen. i know this is the amp thread, not the music discussion thread but yeah. while i didn't like it (most of what nashville puts out since 9/11 has been jingoistic trash, southern fratboys and the odd woman who is sold on the fact their a woman not on their songwriting/musicianship) this guy seemed fairly harmless.

I agree. He’s a damn good singer and knows his way around a guitar for sure. Refreshing compared to the dreck that gets put out as “country” these days, but meh.