new project cab day.

Make it loud here.
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

new project cab day.

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:17 pm

got me a rough as hell marshall mg 4x12 cab for the princely sum of...... £20

now. i say project cab because, as ive mentioned on the bad things thread.... there is no such thing as a problem free 4x12 cab. within 20 seconds of carrying it. i heard some bad rattling. and there was another reason the cab was so cheap..... a crack in the speaker cone. oh joy. luckily, i like doing paper mache. but im gonna ask someone i know who might have a spare one kicking about first.

before i was going to run this thing with an amp (but after i carried it up 3 flights of stairs) i had to take the thing apart. the cab itself was in good condition. normally cabs in this price range have damp bottoms..... tehe. this one is dry as a bone. it's reading the correct 8 ohms. the rattling was the speakers. one of them was being held in with 1 screw. each speaker had 1 screw missing at least. but most of them were accounted for at the bottom of the cab.

tested it and minus the 1 cracked speaker..... it all sounds good. i actually like the speakers used in the MG series amps (only good thing about them imho) their celestion g12's. so what is the plan? rock it till it dies. anyway. pics or it did'nt happen.

mitsy claimed it the second it came in the door.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: new project cab day.

Post by Steadyriot. » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:07 am

Oh man 20 pounds is a steal!
I'm not that into the MG cabs but they are nice beaters. Great to throw in a rehearsal space and not worry about it too much; especially at that price! :w00t:
Congrats on the find!
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:12 am

Steadyriot. wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:07 am
Oh man 20 pounds is a steal!
I'm not that into the MG cabs but they are nice beaters. Great to throw in a rehearsal space and not worry about it too much; especially at that price! :w00t:
Congrats on the find!
thanks man. i agree in that they aint something you build your career around but celestion g12's are decent speakers and can project well at gigs.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:37 am

Even if it came with only one good speaker and an ancient curse upon your land it would still be a steal at 20 quid.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:34 am

601210 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:37 am
Even if it came with only one good speaker and an ancient curse upon your land it would still be a steal at 20 quid.
true. well i have an update.

so i called everyone i know. rummaged through everyone's spares bin and couldn't find shit. there was a pair of fender speakers that seemed ok for the job but i decided against it (but i did find stuff for future projects) i actually phoned up celestion about it. they told me it's a rebranded version of one of their speakers and they can sell me a brand new one for £40 more than i was hoping to pay but hey.

to risk further damage to the speaker i swapped the ripped one to the other side.

also after doing the caps on the bassman, i finally tested them together at last. every time i play a bassman, it sounds like built to spill