What's the word on Marshall 2061s?

Make it loud here.
Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

What's the word on Marshall 2061s?

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:34 pm

I've been entertaining getting a tube amp again since I've been solid state for the last little while. Don't really know why but the Marshall 2061 is intriguing. I know that the guy from Ride plays one..that's about it.

Anyone know what headroom is like say compared to an AC15?

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What's the word on Marshall 2061s?

Post by NickD » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:29 pm

I've got an amp from the same range (the 18 watt 2x10, known as the 1958x), which won't sound the same, but assuming you are talking about the reissues, the build quality is excellent.

As far as headroom goes, it isn't a clean amp per se, not in the Twin sense, but it doesnt distort like a modern Marshall and to get any significant levels of drive you need to be running it flat out, which IMO is antisocially loud for anything bar a rehersal or gig setting.

I use an attenuator for home use, run the volume on the amp close to, or at 10 and clean it up on the guitar volume control.

It's the best amp I've owned, sound and quality, I can't imagine they dropped the ball on the heads

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What's the word on Marshall 2061s?

Post by Tafarel » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:59 am

I've had one for about six years now. It is a great amp, if a little too dark for my tastes. I have the 2x12 Marshall 2061cx slant cab that goes with it, equipped with Weber Silver Bells. I had previously used them in a Marshall Bluesbreaker and they had a nice shimmery top end in that amp. Overall, I liked the tones from the Bluesbreaker more than the 2061x, but that might just be personal taste. Unfortunately, the Bluesbreaker should've been named the Backbreaker.

As for headroom, not a lot, but clean it has a pleasant sound. There is a trick that uses both channels to get a little clean headroom out of the amp before saturation. To wit:

Plug into the top input of the Bass channel

Tone knob of Bass channel = 10.

Tone knob of the Lead channel = almost 8.

Volume knob of the Lead channel = almost 8.

5-Lastly, turn the Volume knob on the Bass channel anywhere from 2 to 6.

This is beyond my understanding, but DON't jumper the Lead with the Bass channel. The Lead channel Volume and Tone controls interact with the Bass channel without jumpering them.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."