10" speakers for BF Bassman

Make it loud here.
happyhalloween
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

10" speakers for BF Bassman

Post by happyhalloween » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:11 am

I've got a '66 Bassman AA165 that someone turned into a open back 2x10 combo. I'm considering trying some different speakers at the recommendation of a friend who tells me the Eminence Redcoat Ramrods in it are super loud. I honestly know nothing about speakers.

I would like a reduction in overall volume, but I'm not expecting miracles either. I usually have the normal channel at about 3 but it sounds great at 4 or 5. I tend to like a Built to Spill/Dinosaur Jr kind of "clean" sound with my Jazzmaster. The lows sound a little flubby when you turn up, but maybe that's the open back, and I like that it has a bit more midrange than a standard Fender combo. Bassmans (Bassmen?) want to see 4 ohms, so I'd be looking for two 8 ohm speakers.

Here's a picture since we're all really here to just look at each other's stuff.

tdbajus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 10" speakers for BF Bassman

Post by tdbajus » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:38 pm

I have always been very pleased with the speakers from Weber. Maybe you should send them an email and tell them what you like.

I'm not sure how much you can get your volume down this way. Maybe you should get it rebiased for 5881s (the tung sol 5881 is the best sounding new manufacture tube going, IMHO) are even 6V6s, if possible.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 10" speakers for BF Bassman

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:38 pm

there is a 10" version of the cannabis rex. i like that speaker a lot.

p.s. most times when you play clean into a bassman, it should sound like built to spill imho
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'