Make it loud here.
wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Amp Advice

Post by wproffitt » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:11 pm

tele_pathic wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:22 pm

If you want a simplified circuit with pure tone, look for a quality 5e3 tweed deluxe that costs about the same. YMMV, of course.
I have a 5e9 style amp (kinda like a 5e3 only with a trem and a different phase inverter) and I would say that, at 12 watts and with a relatively inefficient speaker, it’s still pretty darn loud when it breaks up! I love the sound, but I guess it depends on what you mean natural break up at lower volumes. How quiet are we talking here?

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:57 am

I have a 65 PRRI with the stock 10" speaker. IMO they're pretty much an unbeatable all around Amp. It's much better at low volume than my DRRI or Twin. Obviously.

Why are you thinking 12" speaker? Why not the 10"? Seems like the 12" defeats your goal....

There may be equal or arguably better Amps but not in the PRRI price range IMO.

popvulture
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by popvulture » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:24 pm

I have a Headstrong Lil King Reverb, which is a replica of the original Princeton with a 12" in it. It sounds absolutely fantastic, is one of my very very favorite amps if not the one. That said, it's loud enough to hear pretty clearly on the street when it's at 3, and there's no breakup happening at all.

It does sound excellent at low volumes though, and putting a good dirt pedal in front of it does all I want in terms of nice breakup.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:37 pm

jamietay wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:39 pm
fender amps have massive headroom. if you are looking for tube grit at low volumes, fender is a bad choice. maybe check out a vox AC4?
I would agree. I have 2 Vox ac4's, the 10" speaker models. They have attenuators built in to choose from 0.1, 1 or all 4 watts, and they still tend to be/get pretty loud. It does get breakup once you put it around or past noon, there is no master volume on them. So you would probably have to choose a lower wattage to really get a nice natural breakup sound without it being too loud, but nowhere near as loud as a Twin. The ones I have also had the speakers replaced/upgraded to Celestions. I don't know what the original speakers were or sounded like, but these sound good for very small amps. The other thing is, do you like the Vox sounds?

Another suggestion, if you're really into going for the sound of the Twin, is to get something like the Lovepedal Les Lius, which is supposed to do the Twin tone, and just get a whatever small amp that the pedal sounds good through. Maybe later you could get other "amp" pedals, if you want more diversity from the little amp. I haven't tried the Les Lius, but I've read good things about them - if those are a good Twin reproduction pedal, that may be an alternative for you, and you don't have to worry so much about the amp's tone that you use it with, it would just need to allow for a faithful tone flow of pedals.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.