Make it loud here.
Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Amp upgrade: Need some wisdom!

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:06 am

NateD81 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:37 pm
It seems like people really like the Vox AC10 and the VHT 12/20.
øøøøøøø wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:51 pm
Both of those amps would be quite different from any Fender amp!

If you're unsure of what basic color you want-- Vox, Fender, or a modern (well, modern as in 'post-1970s'), feature-laden hot-rodded concept like the VHT-- it might be best to go to a shop somewhere and try a few things out (best if you can bring your guitar, or at least if the shop has a similar make and model).
andy_tchp wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:20 pm
The AC10 seems to be the almost the opposite of what was specified in the original post?

There are many pieces of equipment that receive high praise on forums, that I either think sound pretty uninspiring or are just plain unsuitable for my purposes. I'm not pushing any weird 'tone boundaries' or anything; I just like a nice Fenderesque clean tone.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that a lot of this stuff is greatly over-hyped. :unsure:
OP: please listen to these gentlemen. Not only do those amps sound very different, but they also tend to sound quite different in a band setting. I can't tell you how many times I have loved the sounds of certain guitars, amps, and pedals... until I played them in the context of my band, when the item in question just didn't sit right.

Switching from Fender to Vox is like switching from coffee to tea. It can get you to the same place, but it's a very different flavor.

VHT amps? Those things are just dull. I don't know how many youtube videos will say that, but they are the kind of amps that never leave much of an impression. They are inexpensive because everyone just dumps them for cheap and moves on.

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:43 am

I’ll agree that, regardless of what you choose, you should try to go and play through as many amps with your guitar (or a guitar much like the one you play) as is humanly possible. The day I found my Forever Amp, I went to the store to hear a different amp and my then-fiancee said, “do you want to compare it to anything? What’s the nicest sounding amp you can think of that’s sitting around the shop?” After a quick A/B comparison, she looked at me like the answer was obvious and I went home with my dream amp. Make sure to play multiple amps back to back. Your ears will tell you which is the one. It can also be true that what sounds good on its own may not sit right in a band context, but this may be tough to figure out before you play with said band.🙂

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:22 am

I own both. A Fender PRRI & an upgraded Vox AC10C1. (Vox upgrades include, Celestion Greenback Speaker & Tung Sol Tubes - 2 EL84's & 2 12AX7's.) It is true they are different Amps.

I also own several other Fender, Vox & Marshall Amps.

If it's Clean you want, of those 3 Manufacturers, you want Fender..... They do it best. They are more expensive and my First choice would be the Fender PRRI....

However, The Vox is a great alternative for about half the cost. While it does Clean at low to moderate Volume, & has good Reverb, it's Top Boost control can add some sweet Dirt at even low volume. A Feature I think adds a much wanted versatility to this low Cost all Tube Guitar Amp. I play many Genres of Music so it works pretty well. That said, while it's 10 Watts, it can still get pretty loud. Loud enough to play in Bands that understand & incorporate good Dynamics. And, if you need louder there's always an SM57......

Another plus for the Vox AC10 is the ease & low cost to upgrade..... Only 4 Tubes & a 10" Speaker.....

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:47 am

peavey classic 20's are solid
I have a 4 year old and quit gigging, i regularly play through a princeton 2x10 chorus thing in my basement, does cleans well got it for free
also have 2 blackface bandmasters that are clean machines but too loud to really get anything near what i want out of at my house
i saw the princeton was already posted LOL

a good cheap option if volume is not what you want but BODY is what you are looking for is a univox u45b, they have the best tone of anything small by miles and miles but they like to get wonky.
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:52 pm

I suppose I am beating a dead horse, but with my digital amp, it has an aux jack, and can be a really LOUD bluetooth speaker. I can plug multiple synths into it, and sometimes my iPhone.

You can't do all that stuff as easily with a tube amp. Again, I do have both, and most of the time I am playing with my Princeton. The technology in the digital amp might not age well in terms of being a guitar amp, but it's always going to have an aux input and a bluetooth, which will make it useful for certain applications for a long long time.

NateD81
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NateD81 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:54 am

Hello all --

Just as an update, I ended up finding a good deal on a FSR DRII and pulled the trigger. It has a Weber VST 12F150 which I hope I will like! I'm in a condo right now and play in my garage, I'm really hoping it's not TOO loud, but in the next year or two will be in a detached home so at the point I'll be able to turn it up a little bit. I was really torn between the DRII and the PRRI, but was sold on the little extra headroom for playing clean and I hope I don't regret my decision. I am know I'll enjoy playing it much more than my Champ X2 (which did serve me well), so I'll try not to think about what could have been :)

Thank you all for the invaluable input, it really did help me figure out what it is that I really wanted!

I'll post an update when I get the amp, my wife is making me wait 'till Christmas to play it (her gift ot me), so I get to travel back in time to being a kid again and anticipating Christmas morning :w00t:

rumfoord
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rumfoord » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:21 pm

Congrats!! Post pics when you get it!!

It's one of the '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissues that Fender did in some kind of different color as a special run, no? what color? not a Rivera era Deluxe Reverb II, right?

NateD81
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NateD81 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:54 pm

rumfoord wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:21 pm
Congrats!! Post pics when you get it!!

It's one of the '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissues that Fender did in some kind of different color as a special run, no? what color? not a Rivera era Deluxe Reverb II, right?
Thank you, I for sure will! It’s one of those different color special run jobs - it’s the dark red / burgundy color. Not exactly my first choice but not bad and it was a good deal so I wasn’t about to complain!

The only other tube amp I’ve had is a Hot Rod Deluxe about 15 years ago, so I’m excited to plug this sucker in!

brucer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by brucer » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:09 pm

Nice amp pick! Hard to go wrong with a DRRI if the volume works for your situation. Hope you enjoy it! If it's the wine red/wheat combo, then I think that looks pretty sweet!

If you find you need to tame the volume a bit for home or even garage use, then I can recommend either the Weber Mini MASS or Swart Night Light attenuators. They've both worked great for me on a PRRI and 5E3/ Deluxe.
Blank.

NateD81
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NateD81 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:11 pm

brucer wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:09 pm
Nice amp pick! Hard to go wrong with a DRRI if the volume works for your situation. Hope you enjoy it! If it's the wine red/wheat combo, then I think that looks pretty sweet!

If you find you need to tame the volume a bit for home or even garage use, then I can recommend either the Weber Mini MASS or Swart Night Light attenuators. They've both worked great for me on a PRRI and 5E3/ Deluxe.
Thank you! Yes it’s the red/wheat combo - it definitely has my jacked up SCX2 beat! I’m hoping the volume is ok, as long as my wife doesn’t complain (no guarantee), I’ll be fine. I had a Ragin Cajun in my X2 which beefed up the volume and it was ok—Time will tell haha. I will definitely have an attenuator in my cue just in case, thanks for the tip! I just figured I would rather get a nice amp and deal with the noise temporarily when in a year or so the noise level won’t be a problem when we move. Every time I’ve gotten something ‘good enough’ - I end wanting to replace it so I’m hoping this holds me over at least for a few years!

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:55 pm

Well done! I think you’ll be very happy with a Deluxe Reverb. It’s a great amp.

rumfoord
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rumfoord » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:54 am

I've only played these in guitar stores—actually, probably only in Guitar Centers. But it's basically my go to—guaranteed to sound good. I think you'll love it!

NateD81
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NateD81 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:37 am

rumfoord wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:54 am
I've only played these in guitar stores—actually, probably only in Guitar Centers. But it's basically my go to—guaranteed to sound good. I think you'll love it!
Awesome - you guys are definitely getting me excited to get this amp home!

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:42 pm

Good choice going with a DRRI.. Good time of year to buy too! MF & others have been sending out 20% discount Coupons... With 45 day no hassle return, free shipping & no Tax. I notice your from So Cal. MF & GC will require you to pay Tax. (You can always try to negotiate) But other OS Stores will price match Coupons & Sale prices & won't charge Tax.

I don't how that Amp will sound compared to a traditional DRRI though.

I found the break-in time for my DRRI took way longer than any of my other Fenders, Vox's & Marshall. Not sure why but it's good now. I also have played the RI 68's & would like to get a DRRI IN one of those too....

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:36 pm

A DRRI should make you very happy indeed.

The 12F150 is a fine speaker. You should be quite pleased!

Although I and many others recommended the PRRI, the DRRI is not worse-- just different.

PRRI has the 10" speaker (if you're like me and like that sort of thing), will get loose at a lower volume, and the nice bias-vary tremolo.

DRRI has a bit more headroom, a 12" speaker (if you're into that sort of thing), the long-tailed pair phase inverter (which I like a bit more than the PRRI's cathodyne, most times), but has an optical tremolo (which I don't like quite as much.)

All in all, it's horses for courses really. You'll be quite happy and have made a fine choice!