NAD: THUNDERSTAR!!!

Make it loud here.
Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NAD: THUNDERSTAR!!!

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:09 pm

I'd managed to pass by this amp w/o plugging into it a handful of times, today my resolve broke and I wound up bringing home another great sounding yacht anchor of amp:
So far I think the best description I've heard of this amp is if a black face Bassman and a 60s Ampeg had a kid this would be it. What kind of sealed it for me was the dimension/bloom of the notes. The trem is pretty nice if semi-subtle. The verb hits me a lot like the Ampegs, w/ a really nice soundscape kind of feel. It doesn't get super drippy but sounds pretty great from subtle to a very nice deep and wet sound. Seems to be running strong and just about entirely hiss/hum/noise free up to well past earplug levels (haven't cranked it up much past ~10:30 on the volume. It's no bedroom amp, but it seems to turn down very well w/o losing its character or dimension.

It seems like it's been overhauled at some point and retubed (haven't been through them all, but the unshrouded ones all appear to be JJs). I'm planning to crack open the speaker cab and see what's in there and maybe pull the power chassis to see if the sockets have been modded to use the 6L6s. Stock it would have had 7591s and I think I'll probably swap to some of the Tung Sol RIs if it hasn't been monkeyed w/.
I kinda liked the novelty of the multi chassis and closed speaker cab design and I was really surprised to see what look like factory bias pots and and probe points
It's bulky and heavy and I don't really have space for it, but it sounded and felt too good to leave there at the price... What can you do? <sigh> :D

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NAD: THUNDERSTAR!!!

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:20 pm

Sweet dude. Never seen one. Looks awesome

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:50 pm

OOOOOOOOOO.

That's a real sweet looking amp. Mm.
This is an excellent rectangle

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:24 pm

Thanks guys!

I didn't get a chance to mess w/ it today, but I'm planning to haul it upstairs to the music room tomorrow and dig into it a bit more during the local sports ball match.

Sid Nitzerglobin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sid Nitzerglobin » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:10 pm

Well my sportsballers couldn't pull it off today, but I got to play around w/ the amp a bit during the loss.

Looks like it had its speaker replaced w/ an Eminence Legend. I hadn't tried one of these before and I've got no immediate plans to monkey w/ it:

It was indeed populated w/ all JJ EC833s for the 12AX7s. I raided the tube bin and popped in a Tung Sol RI 12AX7 for V1, V3, & V4; a Genalex Gold Lion EC833 I've had sitting for a while and had yet to check out in an amp in V2; and a balanced Sovtek 12AX7LPS for the PI. The 6GW8 reverb driver is a German made Sylvania and seems to be functionally strong. First impression is the trem channel is significantly brighter, and very detailed. The Genalex might be a little bit too sensitive in this amp but we'll have to see once I get to play w/ it some more.
This thing is certainly a beautiful clean machine. I've only really checked out the PartsStang through the Mystery Brain, Modele B, and Voyager for aggressive dirty stuff. So far the Voyager isn't getting along w/ it for my default OD sound preferences, but I've got a whole lot more dirt pedals to try pairing up w/ it so the jury's still out if it will be a go to for dirtier than saturated, hairy cleans for me. It sounds phenomenal to me w/ the Stang and the Guilds through the Mystery Brain and Modele B in that capacity however ;D

I didn't feel like pulling the power chassis today, looks like it's going to be a bit of an involved operation that I'd rather do at the shop, but I am interested to get a look in there. I've really liked those Tung Sol RI 7591As in my Ampegs, and I'm thinking I'd be into their character and the bit of reduction in output and headroom I'd expect w/ them. Can any of you amp savvy guys tell from this schematic if the sockets would have been compatible w/ 6L6s from the factory?
I can usually follow about 60-75% of what's going on in these but I can't seem to get my brain to process the power section :unsure: :fp: