Fender PA 135

Make it loud here.
tinybobseger
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Fender PA 135

Post by tinybobseger » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:29 pm

Theres an affordable one on my local craigslist, and I'm thinking about it. Anyone ever used one of these? My rig has a guitar a multiple synths so It'd be handy to have all these inputs. Just wondering how it would sound. Thoughts?

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender PA 135

Post by Horsefeather » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:57 pm

I got a PA 100 recently and it sounds good. It's not voiced for guitar but it does have a good Fender sound. I think the 135 is the same thing except with the ultralinear transformer getup. It's a (potentially) cheap way into a big ass Fender amp! The reverb is different than typical Fender, in that it has a very long tail and is really washy. And there's a whole lot of it when you max the knob.

Since it has those four inputs, you can get in there and modify them to taste if you're feeling industrious. The four preamps share a common cathode resistor (I'm not an expert in this stuff so consider this a general indication of affairs rather than technically accurate) so you may have to add in a separate one for any preamp you want to alter. Also, they're wired with more input impedance than a guitar wants so for max volume you'd have to change that.

Finally, I'll say that putting an EQ pedal in front of the amp or between inputs if you want to bridge them goes a long way in getting it into regular guitar amp territory. Perhaps far enough that you wouldn't really need to mess with the tone stack. All it really needs is a good scoopin'.

tinybobseger
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Fender PA 135

Post by tinybobseger » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:42 am

Cool! Thanks that was super helpful.