The Bass Boy

Make it loud here.
redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

The Bass Boy

Post by redchapterjubilee » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:55 am

Rivera Bassman 20 cut down with two Weber 10A125's.

Took me a while to assemble it all. I found the speakers at a price that I'd have kicked myself for not buying them. They sat for the better part of a year before I figured out what to do with them. Found the Bass Tike already cut down on Ebay but it wasn't done all that well. Sent it to my local amp tech friend and had him recap it, which was a little more involved than we expected based on the simplicity of the circuit. Finally got it all together last month, cutting the head cabinet down a little more, reducing the depth, building the speaker cab, and getting it all wrapped and grilled.

Spec-wise it's somewhat like a non-reverb Princeton with a different tone stack. It sounds a LOT like a smaller version of my Mark I especially if I dime the mids. It has a LOT of mids on tap for a Fender amp. Stays clean up to 8 with single coils (5 with humbuckers) but then breaks up just enough. Down low it darkens up and the bass comes forward, but when you turn it up it brightens and the bass tightens. It is probably as loud as my 5E3 clone but has a much greater range of clean volume. The 5E3 dirties up fairly quick. I'd love to dual mono those two amps.

I've gigged twice with the Bass Lad, both in situations where there was no reason to use the 100w Mark I that I usually gig with: one a record store and the other a house party, both un-mic'ed. The first show I plugged the Bass Boy through a Copperhead-loaded 4x10 and this amp was barely making it against a 63 Vibroverb reissue. Those Copperheads eat dB's (which is why I like it live with the Mark I and recording the other amps at home). Through the above 2x10 the second show I probably had a few dB on the 4x10 and I was on parity with the VVRI. I'm sure I could get a similar sort of thing from a non-reverb Deluxe or a bigger tweed but I'd spend more than I did on this and I get to come up with fun euphemisms for the Bass Shorty.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Bass Boy

Post by Ursa Minor » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:18 pm

Thats a really cool amp! Thanks for sharing!
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Bass Boy

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:14 pm

neat :D i've always been interested by the 20
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'