Good Source of Tested NOS Blue Molded Ajax Caps

Make it loud here.
Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Good Source of Tested NOS Blue Molded Ajax Caps

Post by Igorilla » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:03 pm

I am in the process of replacing some out of spec parts (a couple of resistors and ,surprisingly, one leaky blue molded cap) in my 6G6B Bassman and want to do it with original, or close to original, parts. The resistors are no problem as I know where to buy them here in Europe.
I know there are some reproduction caps by SoZo, and good replacements by other similar companies, but I would like to use original parts for the repair of the amp.

So, can anybody point me to a a good, reliable source of tested NOS blue molded ajax caps?

Thanks!

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Re: Good Source of Tested NOS Blue Molded Ajax Caps

Post by sookwinder » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:08 pm

I don't think there is any Good Source of Tested NOS Blue Moulded Ajax Caps
That's why boutique cap manufactures have their niche' markets.

I have used SoZo in the past 5 - 10 years back, great caps, but will never buy them again because their attitude regarding shipping costs is just totally bullshit.
Plenty of other boutique cap manufacturers out there, plus the caps made by other better known manufacturers are damn good as well. (and I have used them successfully as well)

But back to the original question... the only way to get them is to remove them from another amp. Not really a win:win scenario.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Igorilla » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:59 pm

I am going to replace the leaky cap with a SoZo Blue molded reproduction cap. They are easily available here at a good price from Tube Town in Germany.

And yes, removing a cap from a perfectly working old amp in order to fix another one is not an option
for me.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:48 pm

IMO you're wasting $$ with the Sozo Blues. I've used them and I thought they were very bland/sterile sounding. I'd rather use orange drops and I don't like those. Maybe after 40-50 hours of use the Sozo blues will get better.

I've always used Mallory 150 series... in Fender and Marshall. They always sound great from the get go. They don't look as cool but they deliver the sound. Even compared to the Sozo Mustards, the Mallory 150s have always sounded closer to the vintage mustard caps to my ears.
When I was building amps at Matchless, that's also what we used.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:50 pm

If you're dead set on finding old blues, look for old Organ parts. Sometimes you'll find them. Unfortunately, they're usually only rated for 200-250v instead of 400v.

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Igorilla » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:02 am

OffYourFace wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:48 pm
IMO you're wasting $$ with the Sozo Blues. I've used them and I thought they were very bland/sterile sounding. I'd rather use orange drops and I don't like those. Maybe after 40-50 hours of use the Sozo blues will get better.

I've always used Mallory 150 series... in Fender and Marshall. They always sound great from the get go. They don't look as cool but they deliver the sound. Even compared to the Sozo Mustards, the Mallory 150s have always sounded closer to the vintage mustard caps to my ears.
When I was building amps at Matchless, that's also what we used.
Thanks for the input!
My plan for now is to stick with some good quality modern cap.

Besides that, in longer term, I'll watch out for some old Blue Molded Ajax' for sake of preserving/restoring original state of the amp at least optically.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:58 pm

The other good thing about the Mallory 150 series is that they are cheap and can be found almost everywhere.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

Igorilla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Igorilla » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:31 pm

sookwinder wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:58 pm
The other good thing about the Mallory 150 series is that they are cheap and can be found almost everywhere.
Ordered Mallory 150 cap and resistors among other parts needed for a small ground lift circuit in my reverb unit.

Thanks again for the advice!