Ohm Guitar Amp and Fender Satellite

Make it loud here.
Chip Korea
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Ohm Guitar Amp and Fender Satellite

Post by Chip Korea » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:15 am

Cut a long story short I saw a broken bass combo for sale and bought it on the basis that it was worth it as 1x15" empty cab. When I got there the bloke started going through all the other stuff he has that he needs to shift due to losing storage space.

First up a late 1970s, early 1980s Ohm Amplification solid state guitar combo. Broken. So cheap I couldn't resist. The company is still going - http://www.ohm.co.uk/ - but apparently their experiments in guitar amplifcation were pretty short lived. The seller reckons it sounds great when working. Does anyone know anything about them?

Anyway, no photos yet, will post some when I can.

Next he mentions he's got a Fender Satellite. He described it to me and I'm like "nah, definitely not my thing, not interested". He replies "check it out online, it's great". Anyway, I've done a quick bit of reading and it does look interesting... has anyone used one and what are they worth? Should I be going back and buying it?

Chip Korea
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Ohm Guitar Amp and Fender Satellite

Post by Chip Korea » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:58 pm

Still no photos, but the Ohm seems to be working. I'm not a Jazz Chorus expert but I think the sound might be in that direction. Pots crackle and the cabinet (chip board) is cracked... looks like it's been dropped. But it looks like a small bit of gluing and clamping and clean a few pots and I have a nice clean sounding solid state amp I don't need but might well find a use for. The tone knobs (three of them) seem to drastically cut the volume if you go much below half-way (zero) and boost it above half-way. Turn the tones right down and the amp doesn't go very loud at all even with the gain and master gain cranked. Reverb works and sounds OK (but I don't use reverb so I might be completely wrong). 5 band graphic equalizer is the last control on the front. Two unknown 12" speakers pointing towards each other at 25 or 30 degrees.

Tested in 1981 by someone with the same initials as me (a sign?) The circuit board looks really really clean (it looks about 40 years newer than the 1973 Traynor I bought a few months back).

Would love it if someone knows anything about them. Ohm amps is a tricky google.

Chip Korea
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chip Korea » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:15 pm

This is the model by the way Ohm Amplification Graphic Reverb GR100 Combo -

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1776707041

NoiseNoiseNoise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Hertfordshire, England, Britain, UK, Europe, Earth, Outer Eastern Rim, Western Spiral Arm.

Post by NoiseNoiseNoise » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:07 am

I had a couple of Ohm 15 watt practise amps in the past, and they were pretty good. Get it serviced and you'll have an unusual and LOUD amp!!
This is a signature. If you're reading this you've gone past the end of my post.

Chip Korea
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chip Korea » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:45 pm

Cheers. Gave the pots and clean and glued the chipboard and piping as best I could. Basically works but it's not that loud and not quite right. Service time as you say.