Is Silverface Twin Reverb with master volume worth it?

Make it loud here.
DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Is Silverface Twin Reverb with master volume worth it?

Post by DeathJag » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:05 am

redchapterjubilee wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:06 am
Silverfaces all seem to sound the same regardless of master volume or 100/135 w. Heavy, loud, clean.
I have had the exact opposite experience. I have a 1970 (no MV), a 1972 and 1974 both with MV knobs.

The 1970 100w is the most “transparent” of the three. Lots of bass with a hefty serving of mid-highs. Not a lot of tinkly highs. Because there is no MV, I find this one pretty easy to find a good level in the room.

The 1972 100w is BRIGHT as hell with almost no bass freqs. Kind of like a tin can. Sounds perfect for that spaghetti western “total scoop” tone.

The 1974 is 120w and about 20 pounds heavier. I can believe it’s 100 pounds. This amp is clean and bassy. Sounds like a blues amp, almost no highs and hardly any mids. Also, I can turn the gain and master volume both to 10 and the tone is still clean.

In summary, I need all three together to get the correct surf tone!

The master volume turned up to 10 basically makes the adjustments identical to those made without one.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:48 am

I have a master volume untralinear Twin that I am converting to a heat. I really like it. It has a beautiful sound. Super clean and the reverb with a Twin is my favorite. Twins to weigh a ton though and are very loud. The master volume is actually nice in that respect. You can turn the amp up, but keep the master down to non-ear bleeding levels. :D..... or turn it up and let 'em bleed! They take pedals very well. J Mascis said in a Reverb.com interview that he thinks people lose dynamics by wanting to crank an amp. He likes to have a clean sound and use an overdrive pedal to dirty it up a bit and uses a Muff or other fuzz pedal to boost the volume for leads. Gives him volume change instead of the clean and lead being the same volume. If you crank the amp (he said), you have no where to go. It is all just loud and has no dynamics. Twins are great for this concept. They tend to be clean machines. You can get some of them to break up, but not normally at a volume that the police will be happy with. If you like using pedals or just like clean sounds, Twins rule. Loads of musicians use them this way. With their volume, it would be hard for you to be lost in the mix... :D
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

agiehler
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by agiehler » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:18 am

IMO they might not sound the same with the same settings, but they are close enough to EQ the difference out.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:02 pm

personally, i've tried several master twins and the biggest difference seems to be the speakers. ive tried ones with stock speakers and after market ones.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'