New amp week! I think I just became a tweed convert.

Make it loud here.
loudwizard
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

New amp week! I think I just became a tweed convert.

Post by loudwizard » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:03 am

So I’ve been doing a bit of a gear purge/renewal - out with things that didn’t quite work for me, in with some new things, and so two new amps came in this week.

Wednesday I got the Vintage Sound Vintage 15. I’ve been a blackface Fender guy basically forever - I have a couple of Super Reverbs I will never get rid of, including the Vintage Sound seen here, and a drip edge Fender as well. I’ve owned and loved Vibroluxs, several other Princeton Reverbs and clones, etc. Still digging into this new Princeton clone, but it seems like a perfect one - 12” speaker, “middle” knob for a little more control, oversized reverb tank with dwell, just sounds like an excellent Princeton. This dude will surely eventually live in my front room, for the hottest months of the summer when it is prohibitively expensive to cool the room you see it in now . Texas, dudes.

And then yesterday - TUNGSTEN BUCKWHEAT. Why oh why have I never owned a tweed-type amp before? Well, mainly it’s because I’ve mainly played low powered ones that just don’t work for me - I mainly play my 25.5 scale length guitars in Open C or Csus4, and the bottom end of low power tweeds are just too loose for that kind of thing. THIS 30 watt guy, tho! Whoa! Beautiful rip-roaring overdrive, beautiful clean up, even cranked up it takes my overdrive and fuzz pedals like a champ...just so much kick ass. The Bilt El Hombre with Firebird pickups? Sounded beautiful clean through my blackface amps, but I still hadn’t found a drive sound I loved with it. Problem SOLVED. Oooo wee! That guitar just turned from a case queen “maybe I’ll flip it or change the pickups” into a guit that won’t go back into its case any time soon. This amp goes to the practice space soon, to duke it out with the drip edge Super, as well as see how they sound in tandem. 8)

Ahhhhh Gear is the best! New sounds!

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New amp week! I think I just became a tweed convert.

Post by Singlebladepickup » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:13 am

nice. I really like those long windows, too. I'd probably spend a good bit of time playing and looking outside from there.

loudwizard
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by loudwizard » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:07 am

Thanks, man! It’s a pretty enjoyable spot to play - I’m lucky too in that I can crank any of those amps here, too.

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:33 pm

I like it! Forgive my ignorance, but is this like a beefed up Deluxe or more like a Super? I’m loving my Tremolux although it probably has some of the quirks that caused you to stay away from Tweeds in the first place. It’s way louder than I imagined but the different inputs do allow me to get quieter should I need to.

loudwizard
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by loudwizard » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:18 am

I’m far from an expert of tweed circuits, but I’m guessing it falls much more in the “beefed up Deluxe” category. Two channels that can be jumpered, but each with just a single tone knob. So good. And I’m way cool with the loud part - lower powered tweeds just seem to have way too much sag in the bass for my uses, but this is just right.

And I just found out Tungsten offers an extension cab for the Buckwheat - that’s next!

loudwizard
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by loudwizard » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:10 am

Aaaand. Vintage Sound Princeton went back, this dude is going to live here instead.

62 Jazzmaster and a 62 Concert - twins!

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:20 pm

I know I've seen that Concert amp somewhere.... Either on Reverb or in Houston.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

loudwizard
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by loudwizard » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:42 pm

Both? Yeah, I got it from Rockin’ Robin.