NAD! Vox Lil Night Train NT2H - 2 mean watts

Make it loud here.
AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NAD! Vox Lil Night Train NT2H - 2 mean watts

Post by AWSchmit » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:13 am

I’ve been on the hunt for one of these for a couple months and finally got one last week. I used to own the 15 watt head, but 15 watts was a little too much for living room use. I bought and sold it about 6 years ago. The Vox Lil Night Train nt2h. At two watts, is perfect for living room play, and the sound is even better to me than the 15. This thing cranked sounds amazing without coming very close to blowing ear drums. Through a 1 x 12” anyway. Truth be told I’ve found it hard to get a good clean sound out of it. Mainly because in order to be clean it’s nearly to quiet to fool with. But I’ve got a Fender for that. For a size reference this is setting my a silver face champ. If you're in the market for a very small and inexpensive amp head I would highly recommend getting one of these instead of an Orange Micro Terror. I owned one and that was a way more metal/one note kind of sound. This gets more of a hard and cranked 70's tone at full saturation and a nice lighter over-drive not quite cranked. Those two sounds and everything in between is awesome. This is way more classic cranked tube sound at about the same price point. Plus it’s all tube. Almost Marshall territory in sound. Though the terror does have a fairly load 20 watts on tap. I prefer the Night Train on the "Thick" setting, it's very rich and detailed. The "bright" setting is a bit more flat and slightly more one dimensional. I wouldn't call the sound bright myself. You can make it slightly brighter than the "thick" sound, but you can also make it darker as well.
I added the handle. It’s a steel drawer pull from the hardware store. The predrilled holes lined up perfectly. No modding required.
If you have an 8 ohm or 16 ohm speaker cab to use with it, this is a great way to get good tube tone for around $100 to $150 bucks. They aren't super available on the used market, but it seems like they come in spurts on ebay. I saw them on Reverb while I was shopping for them, but they were priced $200+.
I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

Witchburner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NAD! Vox Lil Night Train NT2H - 2 mean watts

Post by Witchburner » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:50 am

in terms of the thick vs bright switch

What gutter are you using? Type of pickups? do you know the immedance on them?

Good shit I thought about picking one of these up a couple years back. Sold before I even got my foot in the door, love to hear some clips of it man, I was comparing it to the same orange actually

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:56 am

Witchburner wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:50 am

Good shit I thought about picking one of these up a couple years back. Sold before I even got my foot in the door, love to hear some clips of it man, I was comparing it to the same orange actually
By gutter did you mean guitar? If so, a p-90 (bridge) and Jazzmaster (neck) equipped tele style guitar, with maple neck and 25.5" scale. If not that is new terminology for me. I mostly play single coils, but this is the only guitar I've used through it yet since it's my current go-to. I'll see if I can get a sound clip sometime... I'm not set up real well for recording ATM, but I'll see what I can get to at some point.
I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

Witchburner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Witchburner » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:48 am

AWSchmit wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:56 am
Witchburner wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:50 am

By gutter did you mean guitar? If so, a p-90 (bridge) and Jazzmaster (neck) equipped tele style guitar, with maple neck and 25.5" scale. If not that is new terminology for me. I mostly play single coils, but this is the only guitar I've used through it yet since it's my current go-to. I'll see if I can get a sound clip sometime... I'm not set up real well for recording ATM, but I'll see what I can get to at some point.
Yeah I meant guitar
No commitment neccesary, just curious to hear it hahaha.

paulnewman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by paulnewman » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:04 am

Awesome! I love the Vox Night Train series. I have the 15 watt that you mentioned earlier and jam it with my band all the time, so I can see how it would definitely be too loud for living room use. Great amps though, highly underrated if you ask me. Glad to hear the 2 watt measures up.