1965 Alamo 2574 Reverb Unit

Make it loud here.
savantjk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

1965 Alamo 2574 Reverb Unit

Post by savantjk » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:22 pm

Not an amp... But more like an amp than a pedal. Internet searching has returned very very little information.. hoping someone here with more knowledge than me can give some pointers.

So I picked the unit up for $75 off Craigslist while out of town. Powered on and tubes lit up, but had no way to test it as a person without other music equipment had it.

Got home and plugged it up.. annnddd only had sound when the mix knob was turned to bypass the reverb. Not much sound, though. Reverb pan that came in it (which I assume is original) is a Gibbs dated 1965. 17" unit with a C stamped inside... I just decided to try some cheap things and bought a MOD type C replacement reverb pan, and replaced the tubes. Looked for loose connections and didn't see any.. cleaned it up a bit. Cleaned the pots. Have more sound now and pushes more gain with the new tubes when the mix knob is turned away from the reverb.. but even with the mix knob all the way toward reverb and the reverb knob cranked as well ( this knob doubles as the power switch ) I have no reverb... Ordered Mallory caps and have them on hand, but I just don't think that's going to get the reverb working... my next thought was maybe the power knob / reverb intensity is powering on, but not increasing the reverb as it should and it's remaining at zero... But still seems odd for a pot to fail like that. My next thought is that the footswitch could be failing, the cord is solid, solder point ( factory hardwired ) is solid, and button seem to work...

The next thing I can do is the recap - am I wrong in thinking this probably won't solve it? Pics to come tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any help

savantjk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 1965 Alamo 2574 Reverb Unit

Post by savantjk » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:17 pm

I ended up selling it. Just in case anyone sees it - don't waste the effort helping troubleshoot 🤣

savantjk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 1965 Alamo 2574 Reverb Unit

Post by savantjk » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:17 pm

I ended up selling it. Just in case anyone sees it - don't waste the effort helping troubleshoot 🤣