amp speaker cable

Make it loud here.
PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

amp speaker cable

Post by PJazzmaster » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:48 pm

I am wondering: is it "better" or recommended to actually solder the amp speaker cable to the speaker or is it totally OK to just stick the cable on the speaker lugs as long it's not loose (that is the standard I think)? Thanks!

Random pic from the internet:

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: amp speaker cable

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:16 pm

6 of 1, half a dozen the other, as long as the connectors are of a decent quality (ie not possible to have them 'fall' or be bumped off). A properly soldered connection will be more secure, but also more annoying if you wish to swap speakers in future.

There's a small risk to soldering; if you're careless/not familiar with soldering you could apply too much heat in the area causing the two voice coil wires (which will be soldered on to a different part of the same block) to detach, requiring them to be resoldered too; in and out as quick as possible. If in doubt, leave it as is with the terminal connections.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Re: amp speaker cable

Post by PJazzmaster » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:26 pm

thanks. I rarely swap speakers but this time I need something louder and the connection of the new speaker with the amp speaker cable is not as tight as what I am used to from other speakers or previous swaps. I think I will carefully solder the connections now to be on the safe side.