Speaker recommendations needed

Make it loud here.
mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Speaker recommendations needed

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:24 am

Since I started playing guitar in bands I've pretty much only ever used Celestion G12T-75 and Vintage 30 speakers, and I think it's time to try something different. I have a 2x12 that I want to put a different set of speakers in, to have a bit of variation when recording. I'm looking for something with a big bottom end and a sparkly high end, and less harsh upper mids. And they need to be in the 60W-100W range (or more). The amps I'm using are a Hiwatt DR103 clone and a Quilter 101 Mini head, and I always have at least a little bit of dirt going (sometimes a lot).
Any suggestions?

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Speaker recommendations needed

Post by InLimbo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:53 am

Anything of the "American" flavor would probably be awesome. And if you could run them together with your a "British" flavor cab, you'll have to sound that will compliment each other quite nicely. Something like a Texas Heat or Swamp Thing?

Swamp Thing might really scratch the itch:

Texas Heat has a little less overall response:

Last edited by InLimbo on Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

salty
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by salty » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:48 am

I was going to mention the Swamp Thang as well.

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:56 pm

Maybe a modern Fane and or Fane clone to pair with the Hiwatt? They have a much more even response compaired to Celestions. I know Hi-tone and Reeves both have well respected clones.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:26 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
I've checked out the Texas Heat and the Swamp Thang, but judging by the demos I've found, it's not quite what I'm looking for.

I've spent many hours looking into Fanes and Fane clones, and the Ascension F90 seems to be a good contender. Not the classic Hiwatt sound perhaps, but the description and the sound clips on the website sound like it might be right up my alley.

I've also spent hours and hours listening and comparing all the clips on the Weber website, and I feel like my head is spinning. So many options! :wacko:

While looking at what was available at Thomann, I came across the Jensen C12K. Apparently that's what they use in the recent Deluxe Reverb RIs. Does anyone have any experience with that compared to a V30 or T75?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:01 am

I dislike speaker demos worse than most pedal demos. REALLY tough to get a feel for what they do, when they physically push air, you know? I had a pair of Texas Heats in my old Peavey Classic 50 and it was a definite improvement over the stock Blue Marvels (not saying much). I was definitely impressed with the Eminence stuff. If you're looking for bass more than treble, a Swamp Thang would've been my first suggestion as well, but that might be a bit muddier than you're looking for. How about a Red White And Blues or The Governor?

If you're going for a classic Pink Floyd/Gilmour kind of Hiwatt tone, the speaker I always read about being closest to the old Fane Crescendo is the Weber Thames. I can't remember if Fane is back making speakers again, but I know that newer Fanes are NOTHING like the old ones like Gilmour has in his WEM cabs.

Another idea: how about a speaker technically made for a bass amp? If you find one with decent treble response, it'd probably be great with the low end naturally... My main amp is a Peavey Delta Blues, and the bass response from the 15" speaker makes it pretty much my favorite guitar tone ever.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:54 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:01 am
I dislike speaker demos worse than most pedal demos. REALLY tough to get a feel for what they do, when they physically push air, you know?
Definitely. And the fact that the sound can change dramatically with just a tiny change in mic placement makes it even more difficult to make any informed judgements.
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
I had a pair of Texas Heats in my old Peavey Classic 50 and it was a definite improvement over the stock Blue Marvels (not saying much). I was definitely impressed with the Eminence stuff. If you're looking for bass more than treble, a Swamp Thang would've been my first suggestion as well, but that might be a bit muddier than you're looking for. How about a Red White And Blues or The Governor?
Those two are actually the ones I liked the most out of the Eminences I've listened to. I'll have to research them a bit more. Texas Heat and Swamp Thang are indeed a bit too dark sounding for my taste.
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
If you're going for a classic Pink Floyd/Gilmour kind of Hiwatt tone, the speaker I always read about being closest to the old Fane Crescendo is the Weber Thames. I can't remember if Fane is back making speakers again, but I know that newer Fanes are NOTHING like the old ones like Gilmour has in his WEM cabs.
Yeah, I've gathered as much. I've looked at the Weber Thames, but it didn't really catch my interest. I have no interest in trying to sound like David Gilmour, I hardly even know how he sounds (the only Pink Floyd I can stomach is before he joined). The current Fane line-up (the Ascension series) have been getting great reviews, but they don't seem to be based specifically on any of their old speakers.

I guess I don't really know exactly what I'm after, I just want to try something a bit different than what I'm using now. At the same time, I do like the general Celestion sound. For instance, any time I've owned a Fender amp I've always preferred running them through a Marshall cab than the stock speakers.

Anyway, I'm kinda leaning towards giving the Fane F90 a try. Just looking at the frequency response chart and comparing it to the V30, it seems to have a bigger low end, and a more extended high frequency response.

FightingPlankton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FightingPlankton » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:23 am

I'm not really up to date on speaker options, but back when I was looking to upgrade mine I read tons of articles and decided I'm a Jensen guy. Mostly because they're in my budget and seem best "bang for buck". the description you gave of what you're looking for reminds me of their description Jensen has for their electric lightning speaker. I've not listened to demos... but they might be worth checking out.
What is acoustic? Oh, you means a grandpa's guitars? A grandpa's guitars? That's for pussies and grandpas. I think you know it.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:40 am

I really like the Eminence EM12. Tons of bottom sparkly on the highs...and non-pronounced mid. 200 watt. I discovered them in Peterson Jazz amps in which they also use the more expensive EVM 10M's...but they have more mid to my ears..slightly duller too...but people rate those highly too.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:14 am

FightingPlankton wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:23 am
I'm not really up to date on speaker options, but back when I was looking to upgrade mine I read tons of articles and decided I'm a Jensen guy. Mostly because they're in my budget and seem best "bang for buck". the description you gave of what you're looking for reminds me of their description Jensen has for their electric lightning speaker. I've not listened to demos... but they might be worth checking out.
I googled it, and found the following comment on TGP: "ya, its kinda like a more pleasing/less harsh V30. Lots of highs and smoother mids."
Definitely needs checking out. Thanks for the tip! :)

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:15 am

I recently got a Matamp 412 with G12H-75 Creambacks. I like plenty of bottom, mellow, darkish mids but nice and clean and detailed everywhere else. They do this brilliantly.
a total idiot jackass

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:09 am

Thanks for all the advice guys. :)

I've decided to go with the Fane F90s. They seem to be a big hit with the Hiwatt/Fane geeks over at TGP, so I'm pretty confident they'll sound good with my amp. I'll keep you posted...

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sessylU » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:31 pm

I always really liked the look of the Fane Medusas and had actually wanted a set of those before I settled on the Creambacks. I was put off by them not being made anymore and them being crazy expensive. Let us know how you get on.
a total idiot jackass

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:29 pm

I was going to say, just get Fanes. That's what you want.

Also, the best Celestion IMO is the Heritage G12H. That's the 30w greenback with the larger magnet. It's got more bottom and top, a bit more scooped than the 20-25w Greenback. There's 2 versions, the 75hz cone (lead) and the 55hz cone (bass). It's the actually the most recorded speaker of classic rock; Hendrix (55hz), Zeppelin(75hz), Cream(75hz), Free(55hz), etc.

I have a '76 Marshall cabinet with two 75hz on top and two 55hz on the bottom. Best cabinet I've ever had.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:08 am

Yep G12H is my absolute favourite speaker found in a Marshall cabinet.