Geloso G.1020

Make it loud here.
Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Geloso G.1020

Post by Racing » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:17 pm

Came across two old smaller Gelosos. A G.221 and this G.1020
This later incarnation twin EL-84 "eighteen watter" you´ve seen me do before. Then as G.3215
These two tho...junkers. In all honesty i see it as sort of a statement that they STILL work seing how abused they were. ´N yeah..the "hood" for it is there alright. Looks just as bad.

`N see someone´s been here before me. Them two JJ 100uF/500V caps sure ain´t stock. Well,if nothing else...thank you,seing they´re new. Over the top from a capacitance point of view IMO tho.
Anyways.
Checked vitals and hooked the thing up. Sure enough,life. So that done i ripped the thing apart. This one´s gonna need some elbow grease,for real.

Idea here is basic. No frills,no BS. One channel does it all,which is rocknroll...but FOR a channel. We know this from before.

Uhu. Of course we recycle the tagboard. Cleaned it out and..good to go.

Simple amp,simple measures. That there is the two gainstages used,the phaseinverter and in turn what´s needed for negative voltage vs g1. Stock bias voltage isn´t adjustable on these,well it is now!
The two 100nF caps residing just by is the outbound ones for the PPIMV control and the gridleaks are partly hidden beneath them.

This is a half new offering by Geloso. In fact just before they ended up in the shitter and went belly up as a company. That dates this 1020 to either really late -60´s or early -70s.
Geloso was never that into PCB design but these later offerings at least had a PCB "rectifier card". Like most all of the amp it needed a good clean and while at it i replaced the diodes and the bridge. Lacking is a couple of open top 5*20mm fuse holders for PCB use. They were in such a bad state that they need replacing as well.

Transformers sure didn´t look that hot either. So,a trip to the rotary brush made them come out at least decent. Way better.
That yellow wire there...nah... It´s the centertap for the output transformer and i´ve grown kind of allergic to stuff holding voltage outside the chassis. In short that there will made away with and done deal.

Uhu. Nor the chassis or the hood was in all that much better nick. Again the rotary brush,followed by a sander followed by the rotary again. Gonna hand it some etching primer,the stuff that "eats" rust,before handing them a topcoat and in turn clearcoat.

Yes. I truly feel that an IEC jack IS that much better a solution. No two ways about it. Hole beneath it is for the voltage selector,then a mains fuse holder has been added as well.

So. Of course hardware like tubesockets and so forth will be replaced as well. As will pots and what have you.
Job per se tho...is a quicky.

Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Geloso G.1020

Post by Racing » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:14 pm

Uhu. To bare metal as that´s the only way. I actually got to hand the chassis its first shot of primer before heading home tonight.
Anyways.
Took to drilling the extra holes needed and so forth. Coming along as you can see.

Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Geloso G.1020

Post by Racing » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:12 pm

Ya know,everytime i do this i get amazed at what a little paint will do.