Coming up

Make it loud here.
Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Coming up

Post by Racing » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:42 pm

Going to be a hectic late fall.
Leaving for Spain for a short burst of RnR in the next couple of days and thought i´d leave you guys with a cliffhanger for now.

Bought this bare chassis from a german made Ahlborn C5 organ. A twin EL-84 push/pull amp that sports one of THE most oversized powertransformers for the job i´ve ever encountered. There´s a perfectly good reason for that though and that is that an organ goes WAY lower in freq than a guitar,hence the need to "reply" to powerdemand.
Now. Seing what´s at hand here i´m gonna drop the twin EL-84 at the drop of a hat and take it from there. Either a quad of 6V6´s or El-84´s.

That said...it is one SERIOUS build by someone knowing his shit. I´ll tell you that much!

Then for this MONSTER. It is a german built Stange und Wolfrum most likely made back in 1965 in Berlin. Runs a quad of EL-34´s at REALLY elevated voltages making for an outright MONSTER.
How i know?
Well...

This is not my first encounter with the LVM series amps. That there is the LVM-30. An amp that runs a quad of EL-84´s at like 400 volts and..whoever designed it did the math cause a LOUD MF it is! Measures approx 50 watts at wide open. Still own the amp.

In turn i´ve also got an LVM-60. In essence the same amp as the LVM-120 just half the amount of powertubes. Ie,a twin EL-34 amp,and this thing runs the plates of them EL-34´s at shy of 800 volts.
Yes...it says Telefunken. Correct,and that kind of tells the story doesn´t it? VERY high quality builds,albeit the 60 and 120 being hefty SOB to haul around. The weigh approx like a JMP....
In fact.. Got a LVM-15 standing around too...which is my proteges amp. In turn there was a LVM-8 too...

That said.

French made Bouyer ST series. Have had one eye open for these since a while back,thinking it would be neat to dive into one. Well. Picked one up (might even become two!) over german ebay so...

That and a few other treats are coming up guys so...stay tuned.

NoiseNoiseNoise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Hertfordshire, England, Britain, UK, Europe, Earth, Outer Eastern Rim, Western Spiral Arm.

Re: Coming up

Post by NoiseNoiseNoise » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:58 am

Turn the Ahlborn into a bass amp! I've not seen you make one of those yet ;)
This is a signature. If you're reading this you've gone past the end of my post.

Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Racing » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:30 am

The Ahlborn will be a guitar amp as it´s basically just short on power to become a bass amp.
Bass amps are in the pipeline tho. Need to find the time...

Got a set of transformers and a choke standing around from an old Carlsboro PA system intended for a quad of KT-88´s run at approx 800 volts for instance.
The LVM-120 in turn,same deal. A quad of EL-34´s at 800 volts is simply overkill for guitar.

NoiseNoiseNoise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Hertfordshire, England, Britain, UK, Europe, Earth, Outer Eastern Rim, Western Spiral Arm.

Post by NoiseNoiseNoise » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:38 pm

Racing wrote:The Ahlborn will be a guitar amp as it´s basically just short on power to become a bass amp.
Bass amps are in the pipeline tho. Need to find the time...

Got a set of transformers and a choke standing around from an old Carlsboro PA system intended for a quad of KT-88´s run at approx 800 volts for instance.
The LVM-120 in turn,same deal. A quad of EL-34´s at 800 volts is simply overkill for guitar.
*orders big bag of popcorn*
This is a signature. If you're reading this you've gone past the end of my post.

Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Racing » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:29 am

Spent the last couple of days pulling off a "tube amp class 202" and cleaning the shop up,before heading out of here.

The Ahlborn turned into a quad 6V6 amp.

Stock the amp carries two boards right,these have been cleaned out and... in stock form the bias winding,the one side heads for the chassis. Not so anymore,now it´s going to be full wave rectified by the use of a bridge. Individual bias pots per side of the powerstage in turn. Smoothing capacitors are installed to the flipside of the board.

As you can see that board is a bit charred,from a previous fire. Coal/charring is conductive alright,tried to measure that but..nah. Zero. Need to clean the chassis per se out too. It´s real dirty to be honest.