Any Supro 1622RT users

Make it loud here.
Snake Hips
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Any Supro 1622RT users

Post by Snake Hips » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:20 am

Looking for some feedback on this amp and if it is worth the purchase. Its 25watts, which I am hesitant about. Does this have the ability to disconnect from its 1x10 speaker and to drive an extension cabinet?

sts221
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Any Supro 1622RT users

Post by sts221 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:30 am

Don't know how helpful this will be, but I just purchased a Supro 1600, which I think is similar to the 1622. Same cabinet, same speaker, but no (R)everb and (T)remolo. Instead it has a second preamp channel that can be summed with the first to dial in quite a range of distortion levels. So maybe some applicable attributes relative to the 1622.

I've just playing this thing for 24 hours, but thus far I really like it. One's impression of amp voicing is I realize subjective, but to my ear it has a nice balance of treble shimmer and bass chunk. Way better than a Princeton Reverb reissue I tried a couple of months ago, which I found very nasal-y and disappointing. I've also slowly come to the realization that I just don't get on with Fender distortion. Hard to describe, but I find it unpleasant—grainy and harsh.

Back to the Supro, I like the simplicity of the single tone control. I was a little concerned about clean headroom, but for me no problems there. On the unstacked channel I can't imagine turning up much beyond 11 o'clock, and at that threshold it stays nice and clean (with single coils at least). Fit and finish are top notch. A tiny, light amp that sounds as big as I need it to.

The clincher for me was that Sweetwater was (and I think still is) selling the 1600s for $300 off—which basically puts the cost in Blues Junior territory.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Supreme" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously the limitation is the absence of the lovely Supro reverb and tremolo. For me the 1600 works because I like to keep my effects on the pedal board anyway. I can't imagine that I wouldn't like the similar 1622RT every bit as much.

Hope that's of use in your decision.

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:38 am

It does not have a dedicated ext. out however you could disconnect the speaker plug and use a compatible cabinet if you wanted to push a 12 or 2 by xx type speaker set up.

I had one for about a year and I really really liked it. It can do cleans well at moderate volumes and crunches up nicely as you move up the dial. The reverb is f*cking amazing and the Tremelo is very good as well. Its light - so that helps. I only sold it to buy a Comet and thats a decision that I am still thinking about.

Anyway a couple of things to note about these new Supros:
  • Everyone bitches about the board mounted tube sockets - time will tell about that - but they seem to be built well.
    They are *very* finicky about the pre-amp tubes. Small changes in the tube set up can make a huge difference in the gain structure and the noise floor.
    They are dark. This is not a 'fendery' shimmery clean sound. I suppose midrange-y might be a better term. If you need to tame a trebley guitar these are the amps to do it with. Personally I turn the bass all the way down and adjust the treble to about 75% and fine tune with tone knobs
Also - The Supreme is a different beast. It uses the circuit similar to the Dual-Tone and is in the newer 'classic' chassis <taller and skinnier. That said teh Sweetwater blowout on these is super tempting.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:14 pm

+1 debating on this, or going with a HWac15 again. This deal seems really good. As long as it would have comparable clean headroom to a ac15 I'd be down. If it had more then all the better.

Any ideas?

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:30 pm

Well, almost got the 1600, but found a used Thunderbolt for the same price plus $100 shipping. For what I do, I believe the larger speaker and wattage will be better. Plus, it will be ideal for my bass VI. Most likely NAD thread soon to share my thoughts