In Montreal? Know a competent amp tech based there?

Make it loud here.
jellodog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

In Montreal? Know a competent amp tech based there?

Post by jellodog » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:14 am

I've recently moved to Canada from the UK, along with my Jazzmasters and a Mesa Boogie Mark Five: 25 amp head.

I'm looking for a local amp tech recommendation. I'd like to swap out my 240v transformer for a 120v transformer. Whilst it sounds like an easy job, the internals of the Mini Mark are very tightly packed and it might turn out to be slightly more tricky than is usual for this sort of work.

I'm using a fairly bulky external step-up transformer at the moment, and that works, but in the longer term, it's not an ideal setup. Fortunately, this means that swapping out the internal transformer is not urgent!

Anyway, if any of you kindly Offsetters live in Montreal and know a guy... a recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Soiouz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: In Montreal? Know a competent amp tech based there?

Post by Soiouz » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:37 am

Hmm, I usually ask one of my friends to do these jobs, so I do not know many techs around.

Rick Onslow is Montreal's amp guru, but he is picky on the jobs he accepts to do or not, as he really does not need the business that much. But if you contact him and ask politely he might do it, and his work is top notch.

Otherwise, I used to bring my amp jobs at Audiomanie on Jean-Talon (at the corner of St-Michel), and they are good and honest.

...and welcome to Montreal, it is a great city!

jellodog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jellodog » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:26 am

Ahh, that's great Soiouz. Thanks for the tips and thanks for the welcome to Montréal. Very much appreciated.

I'm really loving this city right now. Especially the parks and green spaces (I walk a lot), the food, the transport system (I don't have a car) and the feeling of Joie de vivre that I get from the people.

jayoldschool
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jayoldschool » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:54 am

I would also give Richard in Ottawa a call. He runs Tone On Wheels, specializes in amps and Hammonds. He does Mesa warranty work. I know you don't have transpo, but there's always someone going between MTL and Ottawa...

http://www.toneonwheels.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He did my 1962 Silvertone Twin, and the work was great (and very reasonable!)

First post, time to stop lurking!

jellodog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jellodog » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:00 am

jayoldschool wrote:I would also give Richard in Ottawa a call ... He does Mesa warranty work ... I know you don't have transport ...
Also appreciated!

If I have any problems getting local help, I'm sure that I could work something out and factor in a visit to Richard during a more general visit to Ottawa on the train. I've been meaning to visit at some point over the next couple of months and fortunately the Mini Mark head is relatively easy to carry around.

mcjt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcjt » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:23 am

These two mainly sell and repair guitars, but at least can help direct you to their preferred amp repair centre.

I've heard great things about these guys:
Broken Headstock House Of Repairs on Ave du Parc
(514) 903-4323

and i've spent a lot of $ here... they are excellent luthiers:
La Lutherie MF on rue Guizot
(514) 388-1712

mcjt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcjt » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:27 am

jellodog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jellodog » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:36 am

Thanks all.

Within the space of a couple of hours I've gone from thinking that I didn't have any decent options to having a whole bunch of avenues to investigate.

This just goes to prove that talking to people with local knowledge is always the way to go (and that OSG is a truly great resource). The problem I have at the moment is that I work from home every day, so I don't get to meet many locals. I should definitely get out more. Perhaps a meetup, even... but that would have to be a subject for another post entirely.

I'd best go and source the transformer before getting in contact with one of these guys.

jellodog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jellodog » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:40 am

Haha yes, I appreciate that Mesa support would be the most sensible first port of call. So I looked at the Mesa support page last week and found that it was a little out of date. For example: Italmelodie doesn't seem to be in business anymore.

Following that dead end, I read online that Steve's had become less reliable since it was sold. Having only recently arrived in the area, I have no idea if that sort of thing is simply idle gossip from internet trolls with an axe to grind, but I have to admit that it made me nervous, not wanting to risk damage to an amp that I can't afford to replace... hence my quest for recommendations from OSG - the name you can trust (!).

Thanks though, mcjt. You have indeed made a totally reasonable comment, and I appreciate it.

mcjt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcjt » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:00 am

Steve's is MOVING but has not sold (???). Michael Kirman, the owner and son of the original Steve Kirman, was in the paper in June 2017 regarding the move of the store to Ste Catherine St. The nearby convention centre grabbed the whole block of 'old' buildings and forced out the owners and tenants.
Or maybe something went down i don't know about?
Indeed, Italmelodie closed their doors in in 2015 or 2016.
Also, you can call Long & Mcquade which is authorized. They may be able to direct you to a good repair centre.

good luck.
jellodog wrote:
Haha yes, I appreciate that Mesa support would be the most sensible first port of call. So I looked at the Mesa support page last week and found that it was a little out of date. For example: Italmelodie doesn't seem to be in business anymore.

Following that dead end, I read online that Steve's had become less reliable since it was sold. Having only recently arrived in the area, I have no idea if that sort of thing is simply idle gossip from internet trolls with an axe to grind, but I have to admit that it made me nervous, not wanting to risk damage to an amp that I can't afford to replace... hence my quest for recommendations from OSG - the name you can trust (!).

Thanks though, mcjt. You have indeed made a totally reasonable comment, and I appreciate it.

jellodog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jellodog » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:13 am

mcjt wrote:Steve's is MOVING but has not sold (???). Michael Kirman, the owner and son of the original Steve Kirman, was in the paper in June 2017 regarding the move of the store to Ste Catherine St.
Ahh... I stand corrected mcjt. I now realise that the comments that I'd read were probably "since Steve passed away"; and not "since Steve's was sold". I offer my humble apologies for my unreliable remembering.

I'd best pay a visit to Steve's and objectively check it out for myself at the weekend, and try not to be put off so easily by questionable (grumpy!) Google reviewers. At the very least, I should be able to enjoy a drool or two over some shiny new GAS-worthy items (I'd still love to get a Jag, one day).

LBx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LBx » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:23 am

All around good guy Bryan at Northern Amp Works in the Villeray.

He did a speaker swap and tune up of a Traynor I used to have...

jellodog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jellodog » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:42 am

LBx wrote:All around good guy Bryan at Northern Amp Works in the Villeray.
Wow. I've just had a look at his web page; Bryan is a fascinating guy. Looks like I'm spoiled for choice, now. Thank you, LBx.

It's also nice to know that there's more OSG people in the area than I had imagined. I'm really starting to feel quite at home :-)

LBx
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LBx » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:24 pm

Not a prob.

Did you speak with him? I'm grabbing a 1x15 close to Ottawa this week with a mystery speaker in it and may need another $swap$...

jellodog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jellodog » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:03 pm

LBx wrote:Did you speak with him?
No, I'm sorry to report that I've not spoken with anyone yet. I've only just received confirmation from Mesa Boogie concerning the required part numbers, so I'll order those first and then get in touch with an amp tech a little later.

For anybody interested, the official parts list is:

Part No. Description
561840 Power Transformer for Mark Five: 25 / TA-15
516303 Varistor Domestic 150V UL Approved
790125 Fuse 1.25A Slo-Blo 117V
790347 Fuseholder 3453RF2 .250X1.250 Fuse Domestic
LBx wrote:I'm grabbing a 1x15 close to Ottawa this week with a mystery speaker in it and may need another $swap$...
Whoa. Is that for a bass or do you play guitar in an extremely ballsy manner?