The Laney VC30 1x12 - worth buying?

Make it loud here.
Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

The Laney VC30 1x12 - worth buying?

Post by Ceylon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:40 am

So later today I'm picking up one of the abovementioned amps to try it out for a few days. I've been looking for a while for a smallish, cheapish tube combo that could do minor gigs and rehearsals. I've read that it does the whole vintage tube sound fairly well, with people comparing it loosely to the Vox tone, and that it has a decent spring reverb. This particular one is of an older model, with 4 Sovtek tubes and the pre-amp tubes have been "upgraded" to an NOS Ecc84 and two Grooves, which, I can't tell a lie, doesn't tell me a whole lot.

I play a bit of everything, but mainly alternative-type rock that calls for both good and clear cleans and the ability to take fuzz pedals well. Judging from what I've gathered I won't be disappointed with the sound.

I know there's an older thread around here in which people seem to be mostly happy with theirs, and that appears to be the general sentiment around the net two. Some people complain about theirs malfunctioning eventually, but they appear to be a minority.

I guess what I'm asking is this - at a bit less than 300€, can you recommend me gettting one?
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

lborl
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: The Laney VC30 1x12 - worth buying?

Post by lborl » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:58 am

I have the 2x10 at home and I really like it - the drive channel isn't really my thing but I'm more of a pedal guy anyway. The clean channel is very nice. I haven't tried it at gig levels yet - but it may be a little quiet without an external cab - I have turned the volume up full before briefly on a quiet day without significantly deafening anyone and I live in a third floor flat. I do tend to plug into the 'LO' input mind.

The one I have was secondhand from eBay, pretty sure it says 'made in the UK' on it - it has the logo badge without the border around it. Not sure how old that makes it but it seems to be holding up pretty well. Reportedly the guy I bought it from had his music-shop-running friend look it over before they listed it for sale and it was all in good order - it's scuffed up a bit so it's clearly had some use. I certainly haven't been looking for any other amps since getting that one, if it helps.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Laney VC30 1x12 - worth buying?

Post by somanytoys » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:22 am

I'm quite late seeing this, but I have one of the early models of the 2x10 style and I love it. I paid about $400 for it years ago. I don't use the dirt channel much, but the clean is very nice. I pair it with a custom made amp that has a Fender Deluxe and Marshall Plexi preamp.

I'm assuming by now that you kept it. I hope you like it.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.