Make it loud here.
added
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Looking for low watt amp head suggestions

Post by added » Thu May 25, 2017 9:25 am

- Under $400 used
- Under 45 watts
- Either has overdrive or takes pedals well (ideally I would like something like a bass amp or something like a JCM, as if I were buying a full size head it would be an Ampeg V4 and a JCM)
- preferably tube

Currently considering an Ampeg under 15 watts and a Micro terror.

sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Looking for low watt amp head suggestions

Post by sessylU » Thu May 25, 2017 10:27 am

45 watts is pretty big, no?

Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401, 40w combo with 12" speaker. Dunno how much they'd cost in murkah, though.
a total idiot jackass

mathias
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mathias » Thu May 25, 2017 11:39 am

There's so many variables here, it'd be good to get more details from you on what you're after.

Basic overdriven sound: Fender (American), Marshall ("British"), or Vox? Or other?
By low watts, do you mean like 30 watts? 15 watts? 5 watts? Very different amps in each of these categories.
Used or new at a $400 price point? Vintage or modern? (Either in style, or features, or circuit design?)
One channel or two?
Effects loop?
Reverb?
Master volume, power scaling, or none?
Are you looking for onboard stuff like tremolo and vibrato, as on Fenders? Or no onboard effects? (KISS amp.)

I recently went through a ton of amps in the 15-18 watt range, and I didn't even cover that many of them, but I might have more advice based on above.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu May 25, 2017 11:53 am

I think the Traynor Dark Horse would be good choice.

I like my VHT Special 6 head a lot, and while it works for me in a 3 piece it's probably a little underpowered for a lot of band situations. Buuuut I just went to a dual 6V6 head for a touch more headroom.

If you're asking about channel switching you probably want more headroom. When somebody says "low watt" I think 18 and under, with the idea that there will be some breakup at a typical band volume, even when "clean".

added
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by added » Thu May 25, 2017 12:23 pm

sessylU wrote:45 watts is pretty big, no?

Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401, 40w combo with 12" speaker. Dunno how much they'd cost in murkah, though.
It is, but my main concern is more size; I would prefer a 1-15 watt amp, but if someone said "hey here's the amp you want but it's 20 watts/30/35/45," I figured I would extend that.
mathias wrote:There's so many variables here, it'd be good to get more details from you on what you're after.

Basic overdriven sound: Fender (American), Marshall ("British"), or Vox? Or other?
By low watts, do you mean like 30 watts? 15 watts? 5 watts? Very different amps in each of these categories.
Used or new at a $400 price point? Vintage or modern? (Either in style, or features, or circuit design?)
One channel or two?
Effects loop?
Reverb?
Master volume, power scaling, or none?
Are you looking for onboard stuff like tremolo and vibrato, as on Fenders? Or no onboard effects? (KISS amp.)

I recently went through a ton of amps in the 15-18 watt range, and I didn't even cover that many of them, but I might have more advice based on above.
Fair. For overdrive, something more similar to a British amp, or as I mentioned, a more bass-style clean with a pedal. I am thinking of the V4 and God City.

I did state used. Unconcerned with vintage or modern, but ideally tube.

Unconcerned with channels, effects loop, or reverb. They are cool but the right amp for the right price is a better sell than additional stuff.

Also unconcerned, though power scaling is pretty cool, if I could get it cheap it would be great.

I won't really use onboard effects unless it's reverb or the like. If it's digital, I am less interested.
marqueemoon wrote:I think the Traynor Dark Horse would be good choice.

I like my VHT Special 6 head a lot, and while it works for me in a 3 piece it's probably a little underpowered for a lot of band situations. Buuuut I just went to a dual 6V6 head for a touch more headroom.

If you're asking about channel switching you probably want more headroom. When somebody says "low watt" I think 18 and under, with the idea that there will be some breakup at a typical band volume, even when "clean".
I did mean 18 or under, but I didn't want to limit cool options that can be found cheap. I live in an apartment and would likely be using it there more often than anything.

Jestapali
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jestapali » Thu May 25, 2017 12:59 pm

I'd be curious about the Vox TB18. I think it goes for around your price. I know the Tony Bruno's were not big hits, but the owners seem very happy, the sound quite awesome and go for bargain prices. I was looking at the TB35 c2, for awhile ... also a bargain if you ask me.

mathias
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mathias » Thu May 25, 2017 1:38 pm

Current prices on Reverb are a little above your price range, but a Laney Lionheart 20H seems like a good fit. It's very JTM45-ish in a 20 watt, 4x EL84 format.

With a Marshall 18 watt TMB clone, you may not get the headroom you're after. But you could look for one that someone built up as a kit. (Weber and Ceriatone are common.)

The amp I ordered recently is a used Reeves Custom 12 head. This is more like a small Hiwatt than a Marshall, though. The power scaling, ability to get dark, and clean headroom (given the wattage) were the reasons I picked it.

On the American side, my existing amp is a Ampeg GVT15H, which can be had for relatively cheap now. It has a Bandaxall EQ, an effects loop and reverb. It also has a half-power switch, but I found that was always a bit too muffled in half power. With separate gain and volume, it's possible to dial in very light tube compression and still have cleans/headroom -- it's not a high-gain amp. Also, the cabinet for the Ampeg GVT is one of the nicest little Vintage 30 cabinets I've heard, compact and looks decent. Unfortunately, it is hard to find now. (Because I'd like to buy another one.)

Similar in the Fender-y side might be the new Bassbreaker amps, if you can find a combo used for your price. I've heard mixed reviews but didn't try one.. maybe someone else can chime in on that? (And I skipped mentioning all the Fender Blues Junior/Deville/etc since I figured you knew about those and wouldn't be looking for that.)

Edit: Maybe a Marshall Class 5? I'm not sure if that's too low for you, or if that would have the headroom you want. But I do see lots of those on Reverb.

added
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by added » Thu May 25, 2017 2:25 pm

I considered the 5 watt GVT. I am not super concerned with headroom; I tend to play heavier stuff.

mathias
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mathias » Thu May 25, 2017 2:31 pm

added wrote:I considered the 5 watt GVT. I am not super concerned with headroom; I tend to play heavier stuff.
In that case, the GVT15 is worth it for the separate gain and volume knobs. But the most you'll get out of it is some classic rock tones. There's a few good demos on YouTube.

Riffraff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Riffraff » Fri May 26, 2017 2:58 am

My Tweaker 15 head is my favorite in this category. It's awesome with pedals and really sings with the MV up past noon. Great little amp.