New Princeton Blackface vs Silverface

Make it loud here.
Michele
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: New Princeton Blackface vs Silverface

Post by Michele » Thu May 25, 2017 3:55 am

crankheart wrote: 2.5-3 (with the bass cranked) is the sweet spot for a perfect clean tone on my standard 65RI, too. If I'm using it in a band I like to just set it there and mic it up. I don't think I've ever had it set higher than 5 or 6 when playing with a drummer.

I would get it and just bring along a spare a mic and DI if you're ever worried about a club not being able to hook it up at the volume you like to play at.
Makes sense. I have an outdoor event in August, so I might consider renting an add-on cab as well. Do you have any experience adding speakers?

Michele
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Michele » Thu May 25, 2017 4:07 am

andy_tchp wrote:Sounds like a great amp - This one?
Michele wrote:The only complaint is the price ($1199) for an amp with no standby and effects loop.
That amp uses a 5AR4 rectifier, so there would be no functional benefit of/use for a standby switch. It (the 5AR4 valve) has a built in 'warm up' time.

And each to their own, but effects loops always seemed like a solution looking for a problem to me.
I didn't know/understand that about the rectifier so that's good news. Because I've already talked myself into buying it. ;D

And yes, the link above is the amp. The tweed has more of a slight blue cast than the photo. Almost denim but not near as blue as the tolex version.

crankheart
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crankheart » Thu May 25, 2017 6:00 am

Michele wrote: Do you have any experience adding speakers?
I don't. But I think that in theory you'd need two 16ohm extension cabinets/speakers in parallel to match the impedance of the amp. So you wouldn't be able to use the (presumably) 8ohm internal speaker if you wanted to add an extension cabinet. I'm not really good with this kind of thing, I'm sure somebody else on here could give you a more assured answer than that.

I'd be more inclined to rent a bigger amp (a twin, or something) for an outdoor gig than an extension cabinet if you're worried about monitoring or volume. If a PA is loud enough to carry vocals then it's loud enough to carry the much higher volume of a Princeton so I wouldn't be too worried about being heard outdoors, louder amps just seem easier for outside events because onstage monitoring can be poor.

matbard
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by matbard » Fri May 26, 2017 12:22 am

You could use a Fryette Power Station II, that acts both as a power reducer/booster and an impedance mismatching device to add every known cabinet to the amp.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Tue May 30, 2017 4:54 am

crankheart wrote:
Michele wrote: Do you have any experience adding speakers?
I don't. But I think that in theory you'd need two 16ohm extension cabinets/speakers in parallel to match the impedance of the amp. So you wouldn't be able to use the (presumably) 8ohm internal speaker if you wanted to add an extension cabinet. I'm not really good with this kind of thing, I'm sure somebody else on here could give you a more assured answer than that.

I'd be more inclined to rent a bigger amp (a twin, or something) for an outdoor gig than an extension cabinet if you're worried about monitoring or volume. If a PA is loud enough to carry vocals then it's loud enough to carry the much higher volume of a Princeton so I wouldn't be too worried about being heard outdoors, louder amps just seem easier for outside events because onstage monitoring can be poor.

+1 Mic your Amp & run it thru the PA.

A couple reasons why a Deluxe Reverb is a good choice for a lot of Players.