Played through a Deluxe Reverb the other night...

Make it loud here.
daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Played through a Deluxe Reverb the other night...

Post by daemon » Thu May 18, 2017 12:49 pm

I talked to the guy whose amp it was and he said it has an Eminence Special Design in it. Fortunately speakers are easy to switch out so I'll have some experimenting to do 8).

honeyiscool
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by honeyiscool » Fri May 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Deluxe Reverbs always sound great, then I play my '65 Princeton Reverb Reissue with a G10 Alnico Gold in it, and I remember that I've sold two DRRIs for a reason.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Fri May 19, 2017 2:28 pm

The SFRI DR and PR are both really great.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri May 19, 2017 4:12 pm

Telliot wrote:The SFRI DR and PR are both really great.
Agreed.

I also do like the '65 RI Princeton Reverb & '65 DRRI. My RI '65 Princeton was great out of the box. My '65 DRRI took forever to break in & start sounding good, but it sounds good now.

I'd love to have all 4!

Lars

daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daemon » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:04 pm

So I've been watching Guitar Center's used site, after deciding I couldn't really justify buying new, and finally came across one for $599.

Has some tolex rips, but otherwise in seemingly good shape. Wait, what's that speaker all about?

That's right, an Alnico Gold G12. Worth damn near half what the amp cost. I love Guitar Center for used gear.

The bad news is it also came without a ground, so I can't even play the thing until I get that fixed. The good news is that the ultra-friendly person I talked to on the phone said they would absolutely refund the repair. That is what I like to hear, second only to hearing this amp *sigh*...

white buffalo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by white buffalo » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:40 am

I've been playing for about 12 years and for some reason completely neglected Fender amps until a couple years ago. I guess my stupid perception (founded in nothing) when I started playing was that a company who makes good guitars can't possibly make good amps also. Boy did I miss out as a result of that silly notion. Anyways, was grabbing some pedal off a Craigslist dude two years ago at his house and had to test it through his DRRI. I was BLOWN AWAY. Granted, he had it slightly modded (new speaker + one channel deactivated and some changed caps or something), but the bone-stock ones I've played at shops have all sounded just as great, imo. Afterwards I started messing around trying all sorts of Fender amps and gained a deep appreciation for them. My friends '56 6V6 Super is MAGIC, he offered to sell it to me, but was way more than I wanted to spend on an amp. Same friend had a killer '61 Bassman which was insane. I can get into most any Fender amp these days, but the Deluxe Reverb is just perfect, imo. It's like a Princeton Reverb, which I LOVE, but a bit bigger sounding. I still don't own a Fender of my own, but am looking to get a Deluxe tweed clone soon and a Blackface Deluxe at some point.

BamaSurf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BamaSurf » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:09 am

I have had a few DRRIs ...get one use it for awhile then want something different. Always go back to the DRRI though. I replaced the speaker with an Imenance Swamp Thang 80 watt for less break up and more clean headroom. Always use reverb/tremolo channel in the second input jack. Also change out the tubes...

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:14 am

One of the best amps ever made in my opinion.

I've mentioned this before but I ran one with a Celestion Greenback and it was a glorious sound, the speaker is fairly low sensitivity and also really accentuates the low mids, so you can crank the amp and help tame any spikiness, its a good match for the amp.

There is something amazing about those 6V6s being used on the limit of their operational capacity that just sounds glorious. Hit with a good fuzz at the point of breakup and the sound is perfect, all the right words such as "bloom" come to mind, and with a slight drop of the guitar volume you can get a great shimmering clean sound and still be heard.

I really want someone to make a "Double Deluxe" similar to the Victoria amp, but rather than a tweed amp, make it a Black/Silverface clone, so a Double Deluxe Reverb. 4x 6V6s, valve rectification and reverb, 30-40watts - perfect!

Pmg
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Pmg » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:17 am

Is it true the 68RI range has be voiced with more kids than the 65 RI?