NAD. For me, a rare occurrence for sure...

Make it loud here.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NAD. For me, a rare occurrence for sure...

Post by marqueemoon » Sat May 13, 2017 10:39 am

While it doesn't have the same cache the Wangs VT-1H is pretty readily available for about $170.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat May 13, 2017 1:00 pm

fortytwo wrote:
zhivago wrote:
fortytwo wrote: I actually think I bought your old one then, I bought mine there back in the day, from a guy living in London, but I can't recall the user name either.

Wow! Actually, do you remember if you paid via Western Union? If you did maybe it was mine. I remember the day I sold it as it was the only time I was ever paid via Western Union and I had to go to a shop to get the money
Hmmm.. Not sure if I did, but it's possible, was kinda big on WU back when I bought it.
Wow it could have been you then! What did you do with yours? Did you sell it? :)
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat May 13, 2017 1:01 pm

StevenO wrote:Awesome!

I've always wanted one of these. I could imagine it being quite useful. Hope you enjoy it and it's a keeper. As the years go by, I'm finding amplifiers to be louder and louder... Too loud for most of my bedroom uses, especially as it seems to be later and later when I find time to play. I could see this coming in handy quite a bit! Not personally a fan of solid-state or software simulators for low-volume playing... Maybe I'll go check some online classifieds.
This is exactly where I am at! Look into one of these if you're I get the chance, I think you will like it! 8)
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun May 14, 2017 6:18 am

Ok, so this Nano is a hell of a lot of fun!

When I bought this, the seller also included a ZVex fan replacement kit.

Actually this kit package had a new fan, instructions of taking it out, and also a little grill to cover the fan hole, should you decide to take the fan off altogether.

I opted to just replace the noisy old-style fan with the quiet newer one. The old fan could get a bit annoying if you played near the Nano, like I do.

So, I looked at the instructions, gathered up my allen key and screwdriver, found my glasses (I ain't getting any younger), and took advantage of today's lovely sunshine.

I flipped the Nano open and unscrewed the bottom plate, following the instructions to not pull it out, as the tiny joke of a speaker is connected to the bottom of the plate.

So far so good. I had already unscrewed the fan so now I was ready to pull the clip off the circuit board...this came out with no effort whatsoever. :)

You can see where it clips onto in this photo:

Next, to take it out through the hole of the fan. Now this is the tricky, and frankly nerve-wrecking bit.

See this red component, right next to the wall of the casing?

It completely blocks access to the hole, leaving all but a little space for the cable to go through. I looked at the instructions, and it said to gently, but firmly push it away from the hole to create space.

At this point, my stomach felt a bit funny. Like when I am on an airplane and we take off or something. Yep, that feeling. But there was no one there to hold my hand this time. I held my breath and started gently pushing the component out of the way. It was surprisingly firm, but I went slowly and managed to make some space.

See how it is now angled away from the hole? Controlled brute force did that. :D

Here is the old noisy fan...

And here is the new part, ready to go in...

Easy does it...and in we go...
The fan snapped in easily like a glove, I put the backplate back on, and screwed the fan on with the external four allen screws...check out the rust on the screws...that's M@J@ right there! :D

Does it work?

of course it does! 8)

The amp is way quieter than before.

all in all a great upgrade if you find the original fan noisy. 8)

Thanks for reading!
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun May 14, 2017 9:49 am

A very quick run through of the clean/cleanish sounds. No effects at all in the very beginning and then in the end of the video.

Just to get a rough idea...every video I see on youtube is with the Nano raging with distortion.

The sound level in the room at the point of the recording fills the space and is very pleasing. Not stupid loud, but from this point onwards if I raise the volume the neighbours may start getting annoyed...especially if I hit it with fuzz or something.

https://youtu.be/ygt1-A_3KUs
Resident Spartan.

fortytwo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fortytwo » Sun May 14, 2017 9:55 am

zhivago wrote:
fortytwo wrote:Hmmm.. Not sure if I did, but it's possible, was kinda big on WU back when I bought it.
Wow it could have been you then! What did you do with yours? Did you sell it?
I still have it, take out of storage every once in a while, but sometimes years go by without playing it.
I often think about making a little home setup with it, but I've never gotten around to doing it.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun May 14, 2017 12:06 pm

fortytwo wrote:
zhivago wrote:
fortytwo wrote:Hmmm.. Not sure if I did, but it's possible, was kinda big on WU back when I bought it.
Wow it could have been you then! What did you do with yours? Did you sell it?
I still have it, take out of storage every once in a while, but sometimes years go by without playing it.
I often think about making a little home setup with it, but I've never gotten around to doing it.

Very cool! I wish I remembered the serial # of the one I sold (probably to you).

Maybe this is the time to set up the little home setup :)
Resident Spartan.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon May 15, 2017 12:21 am

zhivago wrote:A very quick run through of the clean/cleanish sounds. No effects at all in the very beginning and then in the end of the video.

Just to get a rough idea...every video I see on youtube is with the Nano raging with distortion.

The sound level in the room at the point of the recording fills the space and is very pleasing. Not stupid loud, but from this point onwards if I raise the volume the neighbours may start getting annoyed...especially if I hit it with fuzz or something.

Sounds good, sorta Daniel Lanois kicking back on the sofa. If more demos were like this I might even get past the first five seconds occasionally.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon May 15, 2017 12:25 am

shadowplay wrote:
zhivago wrote:A very quick run through of the clean/cleanish sounds. No effects at all in the very beginning and then in the end of the video.

Sounds good, sorta Daniel Lanois kicking back on the sofa. If more demos were like this I might even get past the first five seconds occasionally.

D

Haha! Thanks David! :)
Resident Spartan.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Mon May 15, 2017 1:54 am

That sounded beautiful. A nice clip to wake up to. :)

And man... That Echoczar. :?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon May 15, 2017 3:48 am

StevenO wrote:That sounded beautiful. A nice clip to wake up to.

And man... That Echoczar.

Thanks Steven!

Yep, I know...that's the Angelbaby side of the Echoczar...dreamy! :-*
Resident Spartan.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Mon May 15, 2017 3:55 am

To me it's both. The angel baby sounds dreamy, but the actual delay just sits in the mix perfectly. To use an unfortunate turn of phrase, "it knows it's place". Some delays, just never seem to sit right. Either too muddy or too up front. The echoczar seems to really shine when you're not playing, it lets your guitar and amp breath a bit.

Lovely. :)

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon May 15, 2017 4:11 am

StevenO wrote:To me it's both. The angel baby sounds dreamy, but the actual delay just sits in the mix perfectly. To use an unfortunate turn of phrase, "it knows it's place". Some delays, just never seem to sit right. Either too muddy or too up front. The echoczar seems to really shine when you're not playing, it lets your guitar and amp breath a bit.

Lovely.

Spot on...the cool thing about it is that it responds to your picking well...the best way to describe it is like a "musical instrument in itself". :)

Quite a bit like playing an amp right on the edge of breakup and varying the drive with your picking force.

The Maxon AD900 actually has a similar feel with regards of where it sits...if only it had modulation to the repeats like the Echoczar/Angelbaby...that would be awesome. 8)
Resident Spartan.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon May 15, 2017 8:32 am

I had a random day off today so I got to experiment with the Nightlight Jr. and the Nano amp.

The pairing works very well indeed! The NL Jr shaves off just enough volume...since the Nano's output is very low, you don't even need to turn the NL's knob all that much to get everything at a really nice volume level.

It's kinda cute...even in the maxed settings, the NL's blue light barely lights up, but the job is definitely done.

Very happy this worked well as I really didn't want to buy a different attenuator! :D

8)
Resident Spartan.

ToneFerDayz!!1!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ToneFerDayz!!1! » Tue May 16, 2017 8:58 am

Awesome. :w00t:

How does it sound with a cranked booster running into it tho? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :w00t: