deciding what to do with this, Magnatone MP1 cab...

Make it loud here.
Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

deciding what to do with this, Magnatone MP1 cab...

Post by Con-Tiki! » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:27 am

i bought this at a yard sale yesterday.
It's just the box, originally a Magnatone MP1 1x12 combo. Hard to tell from the pics, but its medium sized, about 22" wide, maybe 16" high.

I was originally thinking I would buy some sort of 5w tweed kit, fit it into this box, and buy a nice speaker.

Then, I found the guts from a different Magnatone combo for sale. Chassis, tubes, transformers, everything but a speaker and the box. From the measurements the guy gave me, it looks like the amp chassis will be an easy fit. The guts are from an M10, i think. Different model, produced at the same time, might have been the one with the weird top controls. i think they were 35 or 45 watts.
the guy wants a couple hundred bucks for it, claims it was working, but that he can't guarantee anything. i get it.

does it make any sense to chase the Magnatone parts, or should i stick to the original plan?
I've been wanting to build an amp for a long time, now I'm not sure what to do.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: deciding what to do with this, Magnatone MP1 cab...

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:45 am

If it were me I'd just use it as a cab and build my 5W tweed in a head cabinet while I looked for the original bits.

jthomas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jthomas » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:45 am

If it were me, I'd measure the opening in the front and see if it's possible to buy a blank chassis and, if so, I'd build a Supro style 6v6 or 6973 cathode biased amp (or something in that ballpark). You can find Mangatone and supro schematics all over the place. Watts Tube Audio makes a good Supro kit, but it's made for a top-mounted set of controls and go get a good growl you would need to mod the preamp a bit. Still, that would be a good starting point.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:09 pm

put a deluxe style head in there and rock the hell out of it.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Con-Tiki!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Con-Tiki! » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:38 pm

these are all good suggestions.
I was looking around, and found a silvertone 1484 kit. Not cheap, but i've always wanted one...

don't know yet.
i have two amps currently, a Pathfinder 15r, which is my noodling go-to, and an unbelievable '53 National Supreme. 12 watts of joy.

that's why I'm stuck.
I either need to build a small tube amp, or a big, obnoxious tube amp.
(Christopher, also)
I've been to one World's Fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing i ever heard come out a pair of headphones.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:07 pm

Oh I damn, a Supreme!? Jealous. Still want one someday.

I have a little tube radio that I've been thinking about doing something similar with. Mine would almost have to be a head though, it's pretty tiny to fit a speaker that would be worth much.

My current faves are for a either a little 5F1 Champ, Supro Super. Nice and simple. One, maybe two controls and that's it. Then I could use it with my other amps and think about a cab down the line. Supro Spectators are pretty cool too. I had one but not for long enough to really bond with it. I love the idea of octal power.

With your amp you could do so much more given the size. Bigger amps for me would a 5C3 tweed deluxe. Again octal power tubes. A 6g2 brown Princeton isn't a terribly difficult build, either. They're basically the same as a tweed Vibrolux. :?
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.