Running Amps Stereo

Make it loud here.
Groovy Tunes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Running Amps Stereo

Post by Groovy Tunes » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:51 am

Have any of you tried running amps stereo in a live setting? If so, how did that work out for you?
I have a '68 custom deluxe reverb and played by friend's '65 deluxe using my Boss DD-7 as a stereo out pedal and it sounded fantastic. Now I'm interested in getting my own second amp to create this magnificent tone. Any help would be great. Thank you

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Running Amps Stereo

Post by Embenny » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:01 am

My personal experience was that it wasn't worth lugging the extra amps and gear. It basically doubled the number of heavy things I had to carry, and sometimes the FOH just summed the amps to mono or went entirely with the one that they thought sounded better (!!!) - it was very hard to be sure of what the audience was actually hearing through the PA and whether it was any different or better than my one-amp setup.

Now, I use a Kemper which has stereo direct outs, and the only difference between the two is stereo effects, so I find the FOH guys don't mind running two channels panned (though I have no control over how hard they're panned) since the EQ and gain can be set identically which makes their jobs easier than trying to get two mics on two different amps to cooperate with the overall sound.

I've also noticed, as an audience member in shows, that stereo effects really aren't appreciated that much for the majority of most audience members in most venues. A lot of places I play have less-than-optimal acoustic design. Generally, a third of the audience are in the middle, a third are to one side, and a third are to the other side of the room. Things like ping-pong delays and stereo chorus are barely appreciated as being "stereo" by the 2/3rds of the audience who are to one side or the other. Maybe it's cool for the 1/3rd in the middle of the room. Cool enough that I'll bring a second XLR for my Kemper, but not cool enough for me to lug another 40-60 lb tube amp to and from the car.

YMMV.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Groovy Tunes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Groovy Tunes » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:28 am

I don't mind the weight. Fender deluxe reverbs arnt all that heavy, and the stereo sound will be heard around the room where as you may be right about the stereo effects at least. Still, it's worth it to me. And I can get a new used deluxe reverb amp for much cheaper then Kemper. I also care about making the best possible sound for my audience and so even if the don't appreciate it, I'm still making a really cool sound and not being half ass on my potentialy quality music. I appreciate it when an musician takes their time to have an awesome sound and I want to be able to do the same for my audience.

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:33 am

I only run a stereo rig.

It has it's ups and downs. Stereo effects are really what sells running in stereo, but at that point you're limiting your effects both in what you can use as well the order in the chain - I would absolutely love to have a Instant Lo-fi Junky, but because of where I would want to put it in the chain (last), I can't use it since it's not a stereo effect.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:38 am

Yes. Always. It sounds way better on stage..out the front can be hit and miss of course..but my main concern is how it sounds to me on stage.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:31 pm

I usually gig with just a Princeton, but if I need more power I take two of them. It wasn't always feasible or necessary in my experience but the times I was able to run dual amps it was awesome - especially if you can spread them out a bit. Love how they sound when the trem in on and almost the same exact speed. There's always a little variation which just makes it sound sort of phasey and extra lush. Its a great sound.

Never did the delay thing much - it just always worked out better as a mono effect in live applications.
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:45 pm

I play stereo amps, but I don't play out anymore, so I can't address the sound issues of going through a PA and what a crowd would be able to hear.

I'm honestly a little surprised that you didn't get any cross-connection hum in at least one of your amps from splitting through a stereo pedal. I ended up buying an amp switcher where one of the outputs is isolated, in order to solve that problem, and it also has a phase switch. The hum/buzz issues can depend on a lot of variables, but connecting 2 (or more) amps can generate a lot of noise, and there can be the phase issue involved as well. Connecting to a PA or a recording interface from an amp can also cause a lot of hum, I get that when I use the XLR pad on my bass amp into the recording interface - either the amp hums or the input signal does, so I switch the ground on the amp so that the amp hums and the input signal is clean in the recording.

If you find that happens on stage or in practice, it might be worth looking into getting an isolated amp switcher, but it would be great if you never have to worry about that.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

Groovy Tunes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Groovy Tunes » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:54 pm

So I'm thinking, since I already have a 68 custom deluxe, to either get another fender deluxe, or get an AC15 for a little more flavor. What do you guys think? I play clean 75% of the time and I'm not cranking the amps so for my audience size it won't be too loud.

What are the advantages of changing the amps and what are the advantages of keeping them similar? Also, is the AC15 relatively the same power output as a deluxe?

Groovy Tunes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Groovy Tunes » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:57 pm

somanytoys wrote:If you find that happens on stage or in practice, it might be worth looking into getting an isolated amp switcher, but it would be great if you never have to worry about that.
Thank you that is a problem solver

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:03 pm

I would definitely recommend running two different, but complimentary amps.

Fender and Vox are similar to what I use ('65 DRRI and a Traynor YGM-3, EL84 compliment) and they are a really nice pair. The Deluxe is scooped by nature, and the Traynor sort of "sits" in the mid section where the Deluxe lacks. The Deluxe on the other hand, provides the rich warmth that the Traynor tends to lack. I use a TS9 into both and I absolutely love it.

As far as the '68 is concerned, I think it breaks up a little earlier than the '65, but I don't think it's any where near as early as the AC15. Depending on how loud you end up playing, the AC15 might end up being too overdriven for your desired clean tone.

Groovy Tunes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Groovy Tunes » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:34 am

InLimbo wrote: Depending on how loud you end up playing, the AC15 might end up being too overdriven for your desired clean tone.
Ah, thanks for the warning - I've sold a few amps because they can't be played clean loud. So since the AC15 is out of the question, what would you recommend?

Despot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Despot » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:17 am

I sort of use a stereo set up from time to time.

I have two old Princetons (one a Reverb, one a non-Reverb). I have a stereo guitar (old ES345) that I've always used with a mono-conversion cable. I picked up a stereo Y cable before Christmas and experimented with setting the ES345 up as intended (each pickup going to a different input/amp). It actually solved a problem that I have with that guitar (the bridge pickup is a lot quieter than the neck), as I can now set the relative base volume of each pickup through the amp level rather than trying to balance out using the volume controls on the guitar (which always ends up a compromise anyway).

But it has gotten me thinking about running some delay in stereo ... or perhaps picking up a Leslie simulator and running it in stereo to get the proper spread.

That being said, if I were gigging again (which is less likely with each passing year) I couldn't justify dragging two amps around ... I'd just bring the SF Princeton Reverb.

Interesting thread though: subscribe.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:30 am

eggwheat wrote:Yes. Always. It sounds way better on stage..out the front can be hit and miss of course..but my main concern is how it sounds to me on stage.
PS I didn't mean that in an entirely selfish manner, just that when you have a great sound behind you it does affect your performance in a positive manner.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:26 am

That is a good question on which combo of amps, but I think that's something that's entirely an individual taste, based on many things. I run a Laney VC-30 (basically an AC 30) and a 30 watt Frenzel, which has 2 preamps, one is a Fender Deluxe and the other is a Marshall Plexi. I tend to go with the Marshall side, I've always been more partial to Marshalls than Fenders, I guess from growing up playing during the '80's.

Similar to what was said above, I think it is important to get differently voiced amps to get the full effect of stereo amps. No matter which side I use on the Frenzel, I feel like I get a very complimentary sound with the Laney VC-30, each amp seems to have tones that the other lacks, and that's very evident if I switch either of them off and only play through one. I would think a Voxish sound may be good for you, especially since you like to play clean a lot, the Vox sound brings a clarity that's different from Fender and Marshall. I play clean a good bit as well (mostly meaning not fuzzed/distorted), and I think the different amp sounds make the biggest, most noticeable difference clean or with effects, although it also rounds out the distorted sounds as well. If it's possible, try to go into a music store that has similar amps to what you have & some things you want to try, and that may answer your question best, using your own ears, playing style, etc. I'd also suggest that you bring your own guitar to play through them, if it's possible, to give you the best idea of what you'd be hearing & working with.

Just FYI, in case you find that you need an isolated amp splitter, I went with the Fulltone ABY (ST), with a single signal "in" that's split to 2 switchable outs. There are probably many others out there, at varying costs, but that's what I bought and I'm very happy with it. I also have a Lehle 1@3 (a 3 amp switcher) for my bass amps, but I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have isolation. I think that their Dual may have an isolated out, and there's also their P-Split pedal, which I think it's only an isolated splitter (no switches) if you don't need a full on amp switcher. That's all from memory from doing research on lots of their stuff, so it may not be 100% correct, but it's a place to start.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

silentchief
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by silentchief » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:59 am

For me personally, running two amps live can be a nightmare. Sound guys already hate how loud I am with just my '68 Deluxe Reverb RI or my AC30. Plus lately I've been more into minimalism as far as the gear I use for gigs go.

However running stereo amps in the studio is fantastic depending on your effects. In college I borrowed my roommate's old tweed Gibson combo and ran it in stereo with a modded Jet City 20 watt head for a track that I was using a lot of the Hughes & Kettner tube rotosphere on, and the stereo effect there was pretty sweet with the Gibson picking up more of the lower mids and the Jet City picking up more high mids and treble. It was a weird combination that actually turned out to be pretty sweet. I think it would've been even cooler if the engineer didn't insist we put both amps in the same room. :fp:

I think I'd be more open to running stereo if I was in a band where I was the only guitarist. From my experience a lot of sound guys like panning two guitars to different sides which would defeat the whole point depending on the size of the venue and your stage volume.