Luxor KW 12

Make it loud here.
Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Luxor KW 12

Post by Racing » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:04 pm

AGAIN a Swedish made old tube PA amp. As it turns out a rather large one. Thing is the size of a small friggen table! Didn´t expect that seing the mere twin 6V6´s!

Got it complete with the old Philips branded microphone even! Which...turned out to work!

Presume this one to be an earlier jobbie too. Still tho...output impedances we use to this day. For the better.

Those of you that have followed my ramblings i guess by now know the size of that "new" workbench of mine. No..no,this is NOT a physically small amp. No Sir..
Nor does the word beautiful come to mind. Not exactly heading for the museum of modern arts is it?

Hooooooooooooooowever.. Now we know why the mere size of this thing is what it is right. That´s a bottle or two alright. Lots of iron to boot.

So. This amp works the "old fashioned" way by the means of a hefty sized choke taking the first hit. Yep,60H worth.. the PT in turn i guess is a given and the other side of that MASSIVE choke we´ve got the output transformer and at the far left end ...again an interstage transformer that acts as phaseinverter. Hm.
Different setup to say the least.

Yep. So that little buddy right there is our phaseinverter.

Uhu. Albeit one Philips and one RCA they at least digested reasonably similar amounts of current in idle. However..once on the U-Tracer of mine..numbers don´t lie,these were done with. IOW time for replacements.

Yeah. Seing the innards of this thing i´d state it is either really really late -40´s or early -50´s. Anything capacitor was replaced right off the bat to be able to check if the thing was alive. At all. Sure enough,works it does.

No. Your eyes ain´t fooling you. That there is a second choke,one of a mere few Henrys.

That done... B+ was all in at 330VDC approx and i presume that number will jump big time as i clean the thing up. The 5Y3 rectifier in turn..no saying what condition that´s in. No matter really as i want to maximize voltage best as i can i´ll replace that with a 5V4 due time.
..and it does sound alright. Tone control is via a 6 way switch for whatever reason and..that switch does its job i guess. Am i saying you could use this thing for guitar right off? Yeah,i guess. If you hook it up via the "mic" input. Hooked to the "gram" input..not so much. Turned weak,sans any and all balls and rather clean only.

This one needs a fresh chassis as well as cab. Cab...woods all the way. Reason is simple,the stock chassis is simply to much "Lego" to me. In turn i want to adress personal safety,meaning that loads needs to be done as far as the transformers and what not.
I presume DC voltage will chime the bell around the 380-400 volt DC mark all said and done and..nah. Need to make the thing safe to handle.
Last edited by Racing on Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Luxor KW 12

Post by Racing » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:12 pm

Had yet another one of them "pre used" Marshall clone chassis out of aluminium standing around. Way more appropriate seing the power and what not..
A fair amount of work has already been put in as far as making the thing WAY more safe to handle once done and ready to rock. Wiring and so forth..

Yup. Moved the voltage selector to reside within the chassis. However that "top hat" thingy there protrudes a tad to much i think so..i´m going to try installing that octal socket that is the voltage selector to the inside of the chassis instead,and then on stands.

Uhu. Mains transformer. WAY more safe to handle. Rectifier in turn is a brand new Sylvania 5V4. Hope that´ll hand me what i need. That small choke i mention further up turned all in at 6H. We can use that no doubt so that one stays. Just..going to install it within instead,again out of safety reasons.

Uhu. Pre used. I opted to block all the old holes off with a piece of 2mm anodized aluminium. Guess it tells where we´re going with this. Major holes needed have already been cut as you can see.
For JJ electrolyte "cans",for power as well as preamp tubes and so on. From a looks point of view this one´ll turn out rather similar to that Vortexion i just did.
Powerwise i´ll be using a pair of JJ 6V6´s..which brings that i KNOW that this thing´ll hand me like 28 watts or so outright. Cool enough in such a case.

Have to say. The transformers of this thing are sure sturdy enough seing the anticipated power... Hm..

Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Racing » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:46 pm

Pushing forward. As you can see yourselves things have progressed a bit. I´m actually pushing both this one and that Elektrofon in para here..

Nope. One mere board won´t do it anymore. That simple,but the mainstay of it is there at least.

Yeah. All said and done with a pair of old 6V6´s in place but..suffice for measuring at least i guess. B+ is all in at approx 410VDC with a 5V4 in place which is about on par with what i expected. This at 22mA per 6V6. Picture i guess also tells how sturdy them x-formers are. Yeah..i guess this one´ll hand us what we ask as it gets to come final circle...

Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Racing » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:51 am

Uhu. Very little left. This thing will most likely speak again tomorrow. :)

Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Racing » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:50 pm

After a bit of a hazzle with the output transformer we´re good to go in short. The thing works and works as intended. With a strat this thing friggin SCREAMS! :w00t:

Racing
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Racing » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:29 pm

Sometimes you just strike gold i guess. Or..that would be pushing it,but anyhow i picked a number of old 6V6s up on our local e-bay and as it turns out they measure like new.
So.
All said and done..a pair of basically fresh Brimar for this little warrior. First impression remains that said. This is one LOUD puppy seing its limited powertubes,after all.