Amplifying a Bass VI (recommendations welcome)

Make it loud here.
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Amplifying a Bass VI (recommendations welcome)

Post by Embenny » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:03 am

Hey,

I've got an audition coming up on bass for a power trio rock band. The guitarist expressed interest in what my Bass VI could bring to the sound. The only trick is that I've never used the VI in a band situation before - just at home/home studio use. I've used a Stingray any time I've played bass in a band before this, basically. Very different tone.

So, I'm open to hearing any suggestions for my approach to amps/pedals/pickups/settings/strings - literally anything you could add would be appreciated. Right now I have a Staytrem on it but it is otherwise stock, with a .95 6th string. D'Addario roundwounds.

I've got a Kemper Profiler and good FRFR/backline/PA gear, and I can reasonably accurately get any classic or popular bass amp tone (SVT is my go-to), so I'm totally open to suggestions. I don't currently have a bass pedalboard as I have all my basics covered with the Kemper, but if there are any pedals that people think do magic things with the VI, I'm not afraid to put one together.

Just wondering if anyone who has live experience with the VI can lend me their wisdom. Cheers!
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Amplifying a Bass VI (recommendations welcome)

Post by higgsblossom » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:15 am

Use a two-amp setup and combine a "dirty" Bassman with a clean Deluxe that you put a Small Clone in front. A bit of chorus adds a lot to the Bass VI sound, especially if you're playing more than single notes.
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:44 am

higgsblossom wrote:Use a two-amp setup and combine a "dirty" Bassman with a clean Deluxe that you put a Small Clone in front. A bit of chorus adds a lot to the Bass VI sound, especially if you're playing more than single notes.
So the idea is to get the bass and girth from the driven Bassman, and the definition from the Deluxe? I can try that for sure, thanks.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:58 pm

Since it's a trio and you need the VI to cover some actual bass tones, I'd go with a Bass amp and a guitar amp... if you need to cut through at times. If it's a loud band, i'd go SVT and either a Marshall (if you need an aggressive sound) or a Twin reverb (for a cleaner sound).

There was a period when I played a Bass VI ('96 MIJ) in a band and we were pretty loud. I used an old Acoustic 150B head through a 6x10 and either a '70s 50w Marshall JMP or a '70s Hiwatt 50 through a '70s Marshall 4x12 with G12Hs. I used a TC Chorus+ pedal for the stereo link. But no matter what you do, a Bass VI will always sound 'guitar-ish' compared to a P-Bass.

Later on I went the Cure route and used my old '63 Bass VI with an old Peavey Musician 400 mk III head. I used a matching Peavey cab with 12" Black Widows. It was an amazing tone. It was just so big and solid. It sounded like a 50 ft tall guitar.

FightingPlankton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FightingPlankton » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:36 pm

I personally use a keyboard amp. It covers full range frequency.
What is acoustic? Oh, you means a grandpa's guitars? A grandpa's guitars? That's for pussies and grandpas. I think you know it.

voided3
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by voided3 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:03 pm

I use my Squier Bass VI with LaBella flatwounds alongside my Jazz and P-basses in a band setting, which for me is anything from jazz to funk to top 40. I find it occupies a similar sonic space as a Hofner bass: deep, but with a clean attack when played with a pick. It doesn't have as much output as my Jazz or P-basses, but a little extra preamp gain remedies that and it sounds great with a little overdrive. I use mine with my usual bass rig, which is an Aguilar TLC compressor, Aguilar Octamizer, and Aguilar Tone Hammer preamp/DI into a Fender Rumble 500 V3 head and two matching 2x10" cabs.

simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by simonhpieman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:46 am

FightingPlankton wrote:I personally use a keyboard amp. It covers full range frequency.
I have a Roland keyboard amp. Mine sounds terrible through that. All bass and no mid or top. Perhaps it's borked (the amp, not the bass)...

FightingPlankton
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FightingPlankton » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:39 am

simonhpieman wrote:
FightingPlankton wrote:I personally use a keyboard amp. It covers full range frequency.
I have a Roland keyboard amp. Mine sounds terrible through that. All bass and no mid or top. Perhaps it's borked (the amp, not the bass)...
I'm using a lab series k5. It has 2 different channels. 1 channel has fender style eq and the other has baxandall eq. I'm using the baxandall.
The reason I suggested a keyboard amp is because guitar amps are voiced for...guitars. And bass amps are voiced lower. Keyboard amps have full frequency coverage which is why I use it for bass via which goes from E1-C#4
I haven't tried it, but I'd also suggest a powered PA speaker and some sort of amp modeling like line 6 pod. This *should* give clear response across full spectrum without sounding muddy in places or thin in others.
What is acoustic? Oh, you means a grandpa's guitars? A grandpa's guitars? That's for pussies and grandpas. I think you know it.

garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyfanclub » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:32 am

I love the way mine sounds through my Ampeg V2. Plenty of low-end, so it'll fill out the sound of a three-piece, but with enough midrange to help the "guitariness" of the Bass VI to shine through. Keep in mind, it's not a particularly "clean" tone, so if you're looking for that you may want to look into a V4.

Personally, I like the extra grit the V2 brings to the table, especially in three-pieces where filling up tonal space is important, but it may be too aggressive for some applications.

Another upshot, assuming you go this route, is either of these amps is a fantastic pedal platform for guitar - can't go wrong with older Ampeg stuff.