Bass-Amp Recommendations

Make it loud here.
pad
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bass-Amp Recommendations

Post by pad » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:25 am

Found this one: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anz ... 34-74-4424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Locally, just 22 km away. If it sounds okay, is loud enough and works fine we will have a cheap alternative.
Seems like a 70s fenderish japan made SS Amp

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:00 am

Larsongs wrote:
soggy mittens wrote:I recently played through two budget backline amps, a fender rumble and a roland bass cube. The roland was surprisingly AMAZING, so much I'm considering downgrading to one. Smaller and easier to transport with an amazing sound. The fender was shite comparatively.
Roland makes great stuff.

Although Roland's big Amp has 1-12 & 120 Watts for $599.00 vs. Fender Rumble which has 2-10's by Eminence & 500 Watts for $599.00. Were those the 2 you were comparing?

If the Guitarists are all playing 100 Watt Tube Amps, he said he wanted loud!

L
yeah those two, I dunno the roland was F'ing loud, dare I say loud enough to compete with 100 Watt tube amps at 3-4. The rumble was weak and the whole thing rattled/buzzed, didn't cut through the mix at all. Our guitarist uses a roland cube SS gtr amp and that is F'ing loud as well for 80watts. :P
If OSG has tort me anything...

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:20 pm

pad wrote:
marqueemoon wrote:Whatever is cheap and sufficiently loud.
Seems like a good advice!
How compareable is an Bassamp Output and Guitaramp Output?

I mean from wich W should we look at speaking comparable with 1x15 inch speaker?
Basically our Amps are 100W 2x12 inch speakers tube Fender Amps mostly with the Master around 3-4 depending on the location etc.
Not very comparable, really, I'd say. It takes so much more wattage to move low frequencies - the lower the frequencies, the more wattage needed. Just like in a car (if you aren't going for ridiculous volume), you could use 20 or 40 watts to push both your mids & highs, but you'll need at least 75 - 100 watts to push woofers at all.

First you need to figure out what size speaker you want - more small speakers for tight bass, or a larger speaker for more of the lows, or some combination. I think that will determine a lot of the wattage that it will take to push whatever size you decide on, but make sure that you take note of the speaker wattage ratings of the size speakers that you decide to use. Bigger speaker (15") = deeper, bottom heavy sound (but still responsive to mids & highs); smaller speakers (10" - 12") = tighter response, more midrange, but can still carry the bottom with enough wattage. The favorites on most Ampeg SVTs are the 8x10" cabinets, I think, so the 10's can hang with enough wattage, if that's the sound you like.

Beyond that, I'd say it will take at least 300-500 watts to keep up with a 100 watt guitar amp at very high volume, let alone 2. It also depends on the where you tend to play - 200 - 300 may keep up better in a smaller, closed practice room, but open that up larger or play outside, and the difference is very noticeable. I used to play in a band with an SWR Redhead with 2x10's and a horn, at 240 watts, that sent a line signal through a crossover to a 200 watt poweramp to push an 18" cabinet, in order to keep up with the drums and the guitarist's rig that was an ADA preamp with probably either a 50 or 100 watt solid state guitar power amp (don't remember specifically). The thing is, it makes less difference using a solid state amp for bass than guitar, and the prices are coming way down on ss amps.

If you can afford it, considering the guitar amps that you're competing with (especially if they like to open them up & let them breathe) and possibly drums, I wouldn't go less than 300 watts. Again, no matter what wattage you get, make sure that the wattage rating of the speaker(s) can handle more than what the amp can push, or you'll be replacing or reconing speakers a lot.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

pad
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pad » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:44 am

Thanks for that post somanytoys, that is one part why i like this Forum so much.
Now i've learned something! :) :-* Hopefully that Pearl amp works properly.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:57 am

You're welcome, I hope it helps.

That's exactly why I joined this forum, there are so many very smart & cool people here, and they are willing to share their knowledge & help people out. I've learned a LOT from here.

I'm not familiar with Pearl amps, hopefully it will work. It would be nice if you could try it out before you buy it, or if there was someone that you could borrow an amp from and try it out at practice, so you'd know whether the speaker(s) & wattage combination in that amp will work for you, and then use that info to buy something that will work for you. Then it's just about finding the sound you like in that wattage/speaker setup range at a good price.

Good luck!

*edit: It's possible that some venues you play in will let you direct-out into their system to help carry your sound, but those systems aren't always the best, and in the cases where there is no system, you definitely want something that will do the job or it gets really frustrating. It doesn't have to be overkill powerful, but enough to keep up.
-David

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:46 am

pad wrote:Thanks for that post somanytoys, that is one part why i like this Forum so much.
Now i've learned something! Hopefully that Pearl amp works properly.
Which is why I recommended the Fender Rumble 500 Watt Bass Amp at $599.00 before negotiating.

L

pad
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pad » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:28 am

Larsongs wrote:
pad wrote:Thanks for that post somanytoys, that is one part why i like this Forum so much.
Which is why I recommended the Fender Rumble 500 Watt Bass Amp at $599.00 before negotiating.

L
Ive read all comments and didn't wanted to offend you in any way, I've even found one used on eBay.
The fact is that 599.00 is too much at the moment, but i understood your comments and i bet it is a solid amp!

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:03 pm

There are lots of good ones, it just depends on what used gear is available in your local market. I don't know what you're looking to spend, but I think there's only a certain price point that these will get down to. It may be worth doing some research online on various things, so if something comes up for sale locally you're already somewhat familiar with it. Another good idea is to bring your own bass to play through it, if you can check it out before you buy it.

I'd think that it would be best to look for something locally, because the shipping on a bass amp would probably be pretty high. But people have to sell things like that for various reasons all the time, so you may be able to find some good deals on local websites from people that have to sell, or are wanting to sell it to fund buying something else.

Obviously, get what you can find & afford, just try your best to make sure that it suits your needs, so it doesn't become sort of a waste of money if it doesn't end up accomplishing what you need it to. That way you won't have to end up trying to flip it, in order to help fund something else that will work.
-David

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:54 pm

pad wrote:
Larsongs wrote:

L
Ive read all comments and didn't wanted to offend you in any way, I've even found one used on eBay.
The fact is that 599.00 is too much at the moment, but i understood your comments and i bet it is a solid amp!
Keep in mind it's new & that's MAP price. You should be able to get 15-20% off which could make it about $480.00 or so.

There is also a 300 Watt & some lower Watt too.

One of the other features I like is they are so light.

Also you could look for a used one.

Another choice might be a used GK. They made them hi Watt & with light weight Neo Speakers. Great Amp & inexpensive.

pad
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pad » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:26 am

We have bought that Pearl Amp because it was the fastest and cheapest Opportunity and it sounded a bit like the Bassman with whom we made our Recordings. Keep thrilled for a NBAD :D

Thanks for all suggestion, help and interest. :-*