NAD - Blues Jr - and almost immediately NRevD!

Make it loud here.
Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NAD - Blues Jr - and almost immediately NRevD!

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:38 pm

Hi All

Last week I picked up a brand new Fender Blues Junior in lacquered tweed, with the Jensen C12N speaker. It replaced an Ashdown Peacemaker 20, that was overpowered and overcomplicated for my home use.

The BJr sounds great, I was very happy with it, EXCEPT for the reverb, which sounded nasty to my ears - zingy (in a bad way), clangy, unrefined, and overpowering the actual guitar sound. It could only be used well on very low settings. A quick look around the internet supported this assessment and I found a number of people suggesting an inexpensive fix by replacing the stock Ruby reverb tank with a MOD unit. Now I love a bit of reverb and really didn't want to have to put up with this, so quickly ordered one of those MOD units (about £28 delivered), and it arrived today.

Fitting is really easy, but as soon as I took the old unit out of the amp, I thought I'd wasted my money - both units looked almost identical. There were tiny differences, but obviously both units used many of the same parts, so I assumed that the new one would therefore sound the same as the one I'd taken out.

Happily not! The internet was right - the MOD tank is more refined, with the harsh top harmonics greatly reduced, and the reverb knob is now useful over most of its entire range. Very happy with, and I'd recommend it to any other BJr users unhappy with the reverb.
All the cheeses....

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NAD - Blues Jr - and almost immediately NRevD!

Post by Larsongs » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:05 pm

I recently replaced my Twin with a Mod & it's great.

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:06 pm

I have a MOD tank in my Blues Jr, and it is a bit better than the stock one. I still keep my reverb at around 5, give or take.

morkov
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by morkov » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:38 am

Thanks for the tip, I ordered a MOD tank for my blues jr after reading your post. It arrived yesterday, and I think it was an big improvment.
Free to those that can afford it, very exspensive to those that can`t.