NAD (Bass amp thread related!)

Make it loud here.
DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NAD (Bass amp thread related!)

Post by DesmondWafers » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:48 pm

Was looking for a vibro champ but couldn't say no to this:

Seriously one of the cleanest vintage amps I've ever seen. It even came with the original fucking leather cover! One tone knob is not nearly as much of a problem as I thought it would be, but an EQ pedal might be in order. I bought this for my apartment (super reverb is sadly 4 hours away) and aside from being a little louder than I expected, it fills that void perfectly.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NAD (Bass amp thread related!)

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:52 pm

That is seriously clean. Nice!

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:54 pm

i borrowed one of these years ago and i loved it. i've always kept an eye open for another one just in case. good find
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DesmondWafers » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:09 pm

Thanks guys. I actually am having some issues with its volume and noise complaints (Still adjusting to apartment life), but for anyone who owns one of these, I have some questions. When I actually did turn it up today, there was very, very little bass response on the amp. All high end. I know people usually replace the speakers on these, but for a bass amp I found that very surprising.

Patrick
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Patrick » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:54 am

Very cool. I don't know if this will necessarily fix your problem, but this is a link to the most common mod for the MMB. It basically mimics the tone stack of a Harvard.
http://hasserl.com/musicmaster_bass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:37 pm

I've never played through one of those amps specifically, and I don't know if you've played a guitar through bass amps before or not, so this is all just my experience for what it's worth.

As a bass player originally, I've found with smaller "practice" bass amps (which yours appears to be in size), you won't usually get lows that are very impressive, especially depending on the wattage and speaker size. If it's a smaller speaker, especially 8" or less, or lower rated, they design the amp not to allow too much bass through, so that it doesn't blow the speaker.

The wattage to volume ratio is very different to me from guitar amps, because it takes so much more power to move bass frequencies. Small bass amps and medium bass amps can sound pretty good alone, especially at low volumes, but once you start trying to push it hard to keep up with other instruments and hold all of the bottom end yourself, it thins out and/or just distorts (not in a good way) quickly. And since you're really only feeding the amp the higher frequencies from a guitar, with no real bass frequencies for it to work with, I would think it will tend to sound kind of thin, unless you're using something like a pitch shifter to shift an octave down. I haven't played guitar out of one of my bass amps before (big or small), but I'm thinking about trying it now, just to see.

Or, something could actually be wrong with the amp or the speaker, in which case none of the above may matter or be the case. If you can, first I would try using a bass (or an octaver/ps) to see if the amp gives you a better response, or if there's any way you could try hooking up another bass speaker to the amp, to see whether it's the speaker, or if the amp is not pushing the lows for some reason. I think the EQ stack suggestion in the above post is a good idea, unless you want to keep it all original. I think any kind of a tone stack, as opposed to a single knob, would give you much more control, but maybe an EQ pedal could help, if you decide to keep it original.

It looks really nice and it's in great condition, I would think it would be worth fixing whatever may be wrong with it, if anything is. Although, it sounds kind of like the perfect rig for apartment living as-is, to help keep you from getting way too loud. Walls will block treble and mids, but bass wanders through everything - it's usually the first thing you hear at a large distance. I've pissed many neighbors off over the years, thinking "it's not that loud, shit", bass just carries pretty far at a good percentage of the volume, especially to the neighbors.

Good luck with it, let us know what you figure out.
Last edited by somanytoys on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 017493816 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:50 pm

Gorgeous!!

I love mine, but it's definitely extremely midsy - not a great amp if you want lots of low end. I imagine a different speaker would help, as would an EQ pedal. I had the same problem with my SG Junior through this amp but recently switched to an archtop with a single neck pickup and now I'm having the opposite "problem", but a rat clears that up easily(and beautifully!). I'd definitely try an EQ pedal first - an amp that small, you could just take into a local shop and run it all together.

Looks clean as hell. Enjoy!

DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DesmondWafers » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:53 pm

I actually did try it with a bass, same deal. Sounds like plugging a bass into a guitar amp and putting the treble all the way up. I'm fairly certain it's the speaker, the last owner took really great care of it and showed me that it had been recently serviced. Part of this I think is the volume (I can only put it up to around 3), so it's not the biggest deal. That's a great point about it making the amp an even better "Apartment" amp. Low bass response means I can play a tube amp at 3am? I think I can live with that.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:10 am

Well damn, I was hoping for you that it wouldn't require anything like a new or reconed speaker or a repair. At least the electronics are in good shape, I tend to worry more about that aspect of amps. Hopefully the speaker will last you for a while as it is, especially if it works for you as an apartment practice amp.

When you're ready, I wouldn't think it would cost that much to get the original speaker reconed. The sound may or may not be that much different with a different speaker, if the amp itself is voiced for more midrangey tones, like the person that had one of them said above. Maybe then it will let you turn it up past 3, but for now it's kind of cool that it has a lease-protect mode! It seems like nothing's ever loud enough after a few drinks...

Still, I think you should be very happy with it, it looks like a really nice, well taken care of amp, great score. Congratulations!
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DesmondWafers » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm not sure there's anything wrong with the speaker, I just think it sucks.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 017493816 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:30 pm

Another thing that I'm not sure has been mentioned here yet, but you're not likely to get much bass response at all from a musicmaster bass amp below 4 or 5 - at least not in my experience.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:42 am

Sounds like the drop in bass is new, as in it sounded better before?

Check the electrolytic caps. They dry out and can cause anything from noise to altered tone to dangerous electrical malfunctions. I'd start there, and the next thing I'd check is the tubes. Caps and tubes are the most "consumable" parts in these old amps, so I'd start there.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.